Post a Picture of Your Dress (Part 2)

CC Help Jenn

Quick question:

Are short dresses permitted on formal nights?

I have always worn floor length on past formal nights.... I certainly don't want to come off as tacky. However, this is my first cruise as a fit and lean lady and I wouldn't mind to show a little leg on one of the nights :p

I'm not sure what cruise line you're on - but - I've sailed Carnival & Norwegian, and have always worn short dresses - heck, on Carnival Dream last November, evidently Blue Jeans and tennis shoes are considered formal for some guests! The dining room let em in too! Didn't bother me or affect my dinner ...just sayin'

Thanks everyone ! The rhinestone sandals came from Shoe Carnival.

They had a lot of dressy sandals, flats, and shoes. We were actually looking for silver heels for my daughter's prom. I bought 3 pair that day:D

The blue dress is suppose to be here next week, I'm anxious to see it.

Hello Ladies,

Hope everyone is doing well. We had a great time at the Carnival Ball last night. I won first price.

Take cares and have a wonderful day.

Marie

8617741125_f01e4c8c80_c.jpg

8617740847_60fce978a4_c.jpg

Wow, Marie, I bet you are the talk of the ship in all your beautiful gowns, then the fabulous wedding dress, and now the lady from Rio! You are amazing! Glad you are having a wonderful time.

It's interesting this definition of formal. In Australia a formal dress for women means a long dress. Semi formal would be a cocktail (knee length) dress.

By the book yes this would be formal and cocktail attire and is the correct dress for a "real" formal night or cocktail party and this is my outlook too.

Thank you for the replies. I've only been on 2 cruises and to be honest, I never paid much attention to what others were wearing. After all, people were sitting at their tables when I got into the dining room. Also, I would say most if the women on our past 2 cruises were older than I, and have very different style selections ;)

I do plan on wearing a shorter style dress at least one of the nights.

It's interesting this definition of formal. In Australia a formal dress for women means a long dress. Semi formal would be a cocktail (knee length) dress.

This is what I was taught when I was growing up but times change.

With all the debate about formal nights I think the cruise lines want to hedge their bets and say cocktail dresses are acceptable along with floor length.

With all the debate about formal nights I think the cruise lines want to hedge their bets and say cocktail dresses are acceptable along with floor length.

Sure. But it sometimes doesn't work the way they think it will when dealing with different cultures. I think maybe they should be called Casual, Cocktail and Formal. Not a mish mash of everything.

Yes, even though times change this is still the correct definition of formal and cocktail attire though.

I attended formal events (silver service) probably once a month for the last 10 years and anyone in cocktail would have been asked to change. Trousers, well heaven forbid that any woman would turn up in those, no chance of getting past the front door!

You could maybe get away with long at cocktail but not the other way round at a real event although it would probably draw looks or hushed comments!

The cruise chips, apart from high end liners are not real formal dinners (with silver service etc.) or real cocktail events, it is just gives some passengers the chance to dress up nicer but it seems to cause angst for some when there are no clear "rules" about what is required and 'anything goes".

I am old fashioned even though I am still nearer 40 than 50.

It is the ships that misuse the titles hence why they changed the titles of those evening for "dressing up". You just have to look at Marie's photots to see how the upper end liners do it properly.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

Wow, Marie, I bet you are the talk of the ship in all your beautiful gowns, then the fabulous wedding dress, and now the lady from Rio! You are amazing! Glad you are having a wonderful time.

I agree! Every time I think Marie can't look any more beautiful - she wows us with her Rio outfit!!

Marie, you're my idol!!

Well darn. The blue dress came. It is beautiful. And it has a spot the size of my hand that is missing beads right on the thigh ! Looks like I'm returning it.

Well dang! And we already had your silver sandals picked out for ya! You couldn't tell any beads were missing in the picture either?

Hang in there, you'll find something!

Well darn. The blue dress came. It is beautiful. And it has a spot the size of my hand that is missing beads right on the thigh ! Looks like I'm returning it.

What a shame - that was a beautiful dress. Did they think you wouldn't notice or care about the missing beads?!?

I am so sorry for your loss. Hopefully, your disappointment will be turned into joy and you will find something even nicer.

No, I even went back and looked at the photos and read the description just in case I'd missed it. Nothing.

There is a really long raveled thread right where the beads are gone.......they had to see it and know before they shipped it.:mad:

ry%3D400

So, I decided to sell the Plum beaded dress I bought on ebay. It is too big across the shoulders and because of all the beading, can't successfully be altered. I listed it today. Hope it sells because I found this blue all over beaded dress on ebay & bought it instead !

What color shoes would you wear? I don't do heels. (Wish I could) Flats? Sandal?

I have a new pair of white leather flip flops with an ankle strap that are all rhinestoned, but I think that would be too casual ?! I'm terrible with shoes. :p

You can get away with gold or silver strappy gladiator sandals. I would personally gear toward silver only because I have a lot of silver tone jewelry, but go with what works for you :)

You can get away with gold or silver strappy gladiator sandals. I would personally gear toward silver only because I have a lot of silver tone jewelry, but go with what works for you :)

Oops, I just read your post about how the dress is damaged... back to the drawing board!

OOohhhhh. The seller says the dress was fine when she shipped it. And she does not take returns. How convenient for her.:rolleyes:

The dress was turned wrong side out, inside a bag. I opened it, turned it right side out and immediately noticed the spot of missing beads. It is at least as big as a coffee cup..... There was also a very long ravel....not a short one like it had just happened while in the mail.

I disputed it with ebay, paypal will be next. I rarely have issues with paypal. Including this time, maybe 3 and my feedback number is over 300.

Now what am I going to wear with those cute rhinestone sandals ??!!:p

They can't refuse a return when the item is damaged and they didn't explain that. If it was damaged during shipping then did you check for beads in the packaging? I'm guessing there aren't any. Mind you, UPS completely damaged a box of books we sent in December. They came out shredded.

PayPal will sort it.

Try out the Ever Pretty store. Their dresses are stunning and very very cheap for what you get. Excellent quality.

Edited by Pushka

OOohhhhh. The seller says the dress was fine when she shipped it. And she does not take returns. How convenient for her.:rolleyes:

How can she be so stupid? Things like that don't happen during shipping. That's almost as dumb as the seller who said the musical Christmas tree stand I got was working when they shipped it. Now it WAS possible that it could have gotten jarred or something during shipping. However, there was NO MUSIC BOX in it.