Post a Picture of Your Dress (Part 2)

CC Help Jenn

Ok, I am now an official believer in the great bargains at Ross. I am on a business trip in Nashville and decided to check out the Ross near my hotel this afternoon. I have gone to Ross before, but I never find dresses that are the appropriate length. I am 5'11", so cocktail dresses can be obscenely short and gowns that are short look stupid on me. :eek:

So, imagine how amazed I was to find a Calvin Klein Asymmetrical Jersey Gown in Indigo that not only fit and was long enough, but was only $24!!!! OMG, I am still doing my happy dance! The only issue was the abundance of fuzz balls at the hem and I easily picked those off at the hotel.

Here is my dress...

06c0c271-69ad-485e-bf99-c246e36378f3_zpsca47040f.jpg

Lisa

You look great!

This is totally weird -- I tried on virtually the identical dress yesterday at Ross in an Atlanta suburb -- it had a crescent-shaped beaded embellishment at the gathered part of the hip. It was inky blue jersey! It was about $20. The neckline was slightly different -- cowls in front and back -- a classical Greek statue look. I did not buy it, although I was tempted. I wondered whether I would look out of place in a long gown when my husband ordinarily wears only a suit or even sport jacket for formal nights. I have always worn a short cocktail dress.

But if I looked half as good as you do in that dress, I had better rethink my decision not to buy it!

Edited by SeagoingMom

You look great!

This is totally weird -- I tried on virtually the identical dress yesterday at Ross in an Atlanta suburb -- it had a crescent-shaped beaded embellishment at the gathered part of the hip. It was inky blue jersey! It was about $20. The neckline was slightly different -- cowls in front and back -- a classical Greek statue look. I did not buy it, although I was tempted. I wondered whether I would look out of place in a long gown when my husband ordinarily wears only a suit or even sport jacket for formal nights. I have always worn a short cocktail dress.

But if I looked half as good as you do in that dress, I had better rethink my decision not to buy it!

I don't think you'd look out of place in a long gown if your husband wears a suit on formal night. I say go for it and get back to Ross and buy that dress! I've been on many cruises where women were in long gowns and their husbands in a suit on formal night. It's your vacation and you should wear what makes you happy! :D

Edited by cruz4evr

If my husband could get away with it he would wear khaki cargo shorts to dinner every night! If he did, I'd still wear my long formal gowns as cruises are the only excuse I have to wear them.

I would totally buy that dress for $20. A great deal and no wrinkles to worry about!

You look great!

$20?!?!?!?! Are you nuts??? Go back to Ross and buy the dress. :D

DH is wearing a tux on the Alaska cruise, but I would still wear this gown if he were in a t-shirt and shorts. Actually, that happened on the last cruise. Neither one of us felt like going to the dining room on the 2nd formal night, but I still wanted to wear my gown and Walt wanted to wear shorts. We got some strange looks walking into the buffet, but it did not phase me in the least.

I think you and your DH will look sharp. :)

Lisa

I just got home from our Freedom Cruise and saw several long dresses.

My Chiffon pants and beaded top were so much fun. Thanks everyone for your input ! We had photos taken formal night, so I'll try to upload them & post one here.

Oh....and remember the discussion a couple of weeks ago about wearing the high/low dress with cowboy boots? I saw SEVERAL on this cruise. Different style high/low and different style boots. So to the girl who asked.....go for it. :)

I love the way you ladies think....you can add me to the list of the one who is usually overdressed! :D

Ladies great Dresses i am going on my 2nd cruise this time on a Baltic Cruise and also have bought a few Dresses, i am one of the ladies who are over Dressed , i would not like to be under dressed and of course it is a chance to get pictures of us taken all dressed up :)

No I have not but I really don't give a damn about what others do or think. I wear what makes me happy not what others approve of. Same thing happens when I attend a local ballet, theater event, etc. Someone must uphold some standards so it might as well be me.

Well said, and I'll be doing the same thing -- including on my upcoming Carnival cruise.

Hi Judy, thanks for the compliment....glad to hear that someone else loves yellow!

I love, love, love your yellow ruffled off the shoulder dress! May I ask where you purchased it? You look adorable in it and I am sure you received lots of compliments.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, Andrea. I purchased this dress at Dillard's last Aug./Sept. and it's a Jessica Simpson dress. I was afraid it was to short for me but my DH loved it, so I went with it. I don't like the way my knee's look, so I'm always hesitant about wearing anything above my knee's! LOL :D plus I'm now 70 yrs. old (but proud of it) so I don't want to look like a teen-ager!!! ;)

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, Andrea. I purchased this dress at Dillard's last Aug./Sept. and it's a Jessica Simpson dress. I was afraid it was to short for me but my DH loved it, so I went with it. I don't like the way my knee's look, so I'm always hesitant about wearing anything above my knee's! LOL :D plus I'm now 70 yrs. old (but proud of it) so I don't want to look like a teen-ager!!! ;)

Judy, thanks for letting me know where you bought the dress, it works for you and I can't believe you're 70 years old, would never have believed it!!!! I have made quite a few purchases online from Dillards, since we don't have a store here, and have never been disappointed.

The shoes you have on in the picture are adorable! :)

Well said, and I'll be doing the same thing -- including on my upcoming Carnival cruise.

My thoughts exactly ... both of you. I get kind of tired of the "Carnival/riff raff" posts ... I've been on several cruise lines, I've seen good and bad - behavior, dress, service, you name it - on all of them. It was not Carnival that a dude insisted on wearing a bathrobe to every meal. IJS.

Me and mine will be formal/elegant - on Carnival - and not all that concerned with anyone else. Carnival folks might not ALL go all out on formal/elegant night, but to say the whole lot is "pure trash" is a little extreme. Not meaning to start a fight - or even more Carnival bashing. Just my 2 cents. Now, I'm going shopping. For more cruise gear! You ladies have a blessed day.

Edited by heyitsmejudy

Ladies great Dresses i am going on my 2nd cruise this time on a Baltic Cruise and also have bought a few Dresses, i am one of the ladies who are over Dressed , i would not like to be under dressed and of course it is a chance to get pictures of us taken all dressed up :)

You should be fine. I find Europe cruises to be much more formal than Caribbean cruises. When is your Baltic cruise? Mine is August.

I don't think you'd look out of place in a long gown if your husband wears a suit on formal night. I say go for it and get back to Ross and buy that dress! I've been on many cruises where women were in long gowns and their husbands in a suit on formal night. It's your vacation and you should wear what makes you happy! :D

Thanks for the encouragement! I do always wear what makes me happy. I guess that is the question: would this dress make me happy? I'll have to decide...

$20?!?!?!?! Are you nuts??? Go back to Ross and buy the dress. :D

DH is wearing a tux on the Alaska cruise, but I would still wear this gown if he were in a t-shirt and shorts. Actually, that happened on the last cruise. Neither one of us felt like going to the dining room on the 2nd formal night, but I still wanted to wear my gown and Walt wanted to wear shorts. We got some strange looks walking into the buffet, but it did not phase me in the least.

I think you and your DH will look sharp. :)

Lisa

O.K., now you are all ganging up on me!! :D

Thanks for the encouragement! I do always wear what makes me happy. I guess that is the question: would this dress make me happy? I'll have to decide...

Buying a new dress always cheers me up and makes me happy! :D That's an awesome dress you tried on and the price is amazing!

Oh how I love Ross. I have a long Calvin Klein jersey dress in red, and my husband and son wore dark suits and I wore my gown (picture posted a few pages back)

The dress is timeless and really perfect for a cruise formal on any line as it can be dressed up or down a little depending on accesories.

I'm off to Ross to day to buy a business dress, hoping for a good find.

Judy, thanks for letting me know where you bought the dress, it works for you and I can't believe you're 70 years old, would never have believed it!!!! I have made quite a few purchases online from Dillards, since we don't have a store here, and have never been disappointed.

The shoes you have on in the picture are adorable! :)

Thanks for the nice compliment, actually I was only "69" in the picture! LOL

The shoes also are from Dillard's but bought a LONG time ago. They are not eal comfy, but I just love them. I call them my "sitting down shoes" ! :D

Oh how I love Ross. I have a long Calvin Klein jersey dress in red, and my husband and son wore dark suits and I wore my gown (picture posted a few pages back)

The dress is timeless and really perfect for a cruise formal on any line as it can be dressed up or down a little depending on accesories.

I'm off to Ross to day to buy a business dress, hoping for a good find.

I was looking at a pair of Coach flipflops at Nordstrom ... $99. I went to Neiman Marcus Last Call where they were 30 percent off and started to bite. Then I went into Ross at the same mall (Sugarloaf Mills, for all you Atlanta-area ladies) ... they had them ... for $39.

If you're patient and willing to hunt ... Ross is a major score. I bought a Michael Kors blouse there for $30. It was $159 across the mall in NMLC.