How far is Pisa from livorno

Galway202

Hi Galway,

Welcome to Cruise Critic.:)

In distance, Pisa is about 22 kms from Livorno and Florence is another 100 kms beyond ... as per this google map with driving directions.

This map gives train directions & time.

Here's a recent thread that should be of help .... and if you scroll down through the threads, you'll find others that will help you with your plans.

Also, you might want to have a look at the Roll Call forum for your cruise - here's a link to AOS Roll Calls. That's where you can meet others who will be on your cruise, and discuss plans with them. Often people will put together private tours with others who they meet on the Roll Call forum.

Susan

Livorno to Pisa is about 30-45 minutes. Livorno to Florence city is a good 1 1/2 to 2 hours. When we went we used the ship's "on your own" excursion which provided transport. Worked out well.

Thanks a mil for that info Voyager70

Hi Galway,

Welcome to Cruise Critic.:)

In distance, Pisa is about 22 kms from Livorno and Florence is another 100 kms beyond ... as per this google map with driving directions.

This map gives train directions & time.

Here's a recent thread that should be of help .... and if you scroll down through the threads, you'll find others that will help you with your plans.

Also, you might want to have a look at the Roll Call forum for your cruise - here's a link to AOS Roll Calls. That's where you can meet others who will be on your cruise, and discuss plans with them. Often people will put together private tours with others who they meet on the Roll Call forum.

Susan

Fantastic info, Susan thanks a mill

We docked in Livorno and were planning to take a cab to Pisa, but stumbled across an Avis agent setting up a folding table in front of a row of rental cars. We snapped up an automatic 4-door for 100 Euros and got to Pisa, parked and got to the Leaning Tower site by 8:30 (our tickets to climb the tower were for 10:40). We left Pisa around noon and drove to Florence, parked and walked about 25 minutes in time for our 1:45 pm tickets at the Accademia to see the statue of David. We were in the Accademia for just under an hour. We walked around and stopped for a snack, then got a cab back to where we had parked our car (we didn't want to do the 25 minute walk again and the cab was only 2 euros per person for the four of us). We drove back to the dock at Livorno and left our car next to the ship. It couldn't have been easier. We kept waiting for something to go wrong. Sometimes things work out according to plan; sometimes they don't. And very rarely, like that day, they work out better than you had planned.

HI

I posted this info on another post and thought it might be useful info about catching the train if you decide to do this.

"

http://www.mediterranean-cruise-port...-florence.html

This is a website we used on our recent trip. We just arrived back today from our med cruise and found the Livorno stop the most frustrating. The options to get to Florence etc independently were somewhat complicated.

Firstly taxis were asking for 25 euros each way to the train station. We hoped to share this with other passengers but at 7 am there was no one else who wanted to go with us on our trip.

Secondly, the cruise company (RCCL) offered a bus service through out the day (from 8am to 5/6pm) to the middle of Livorno town for 8 euros each, but we would still have needed to get a taxi or local bus to the train station from this point as the station is not walkable.

Thirdly, the cruise company offered a bus service directly to the train station for 18 euros each but the times were fixed, ie we had to leave at 8.15 and the bus returning picked us up at the train station at 5pm. This meant we had to catch the 9.10 train to Florence (getting in at 10.30) and then ensure we made the 3.28 train from Florence. After 8.10 trains from Livorno only run back and fore to Florence once an hour although they run to Pisa more regularly.

In addition to all the above the train costs (to Florence) about 13 euros each for a return ticket.

After some debate we decided to take the cruise bus to the train station. It was fine for us but we would like to have gone earlier if possible but we weren't prepared to pay 50 euros for a return taxi to train station for just two of us.

If getting to Florence (or elsewhere) early is important to you, taxi is really the only option but don't rely on there necessarily being other people to share the cost.

Livorno is not the easiest port to explore from and independent travel can be quite expensive - this may be one place where we would take a cruise organised tour if we visited again.

Hope this is helpful"

We did not visit Pisa, but once you get to Livorno train station it is only a 20 minute train ride. From my understanding the tower is a short taxi or bus ride away from the Pisa station.

quote.gif

Firstly taxis were asking for 25 euros each way to the train station. We hoped to share this with other passengers but at 7 am there was no one else who wanted to go with us on our trip.

... the cruise company offered a bus service directly to the train station for 18 euros each but the times were fixed, ie we had to leave at 8.15 and the bus returning picked us up at the train station at 5pm.

So you spent 36 Euro and gave up about an hour in Florence, vs. potentially 50 Euro (assuming you couldn't find anyone to share the taxi going back - if you did find someone to share one way, your cost per person by taxi would have been the same as the cruise bus). To me this is a false economy, especially in the scheme of what you have paid for the cruise.

So you spent 36 Euro and gave up about an hour in Florence, vs. potentially 50 Euro (assuming you couldn't find anyone to share the taxi going back - if you did find someone to share one way, your cost per person by taxi would have been the same as the cruise bus). To me this is a false economy, especially in the scheme of what you have paid for the cruise.

I was merely trying to be helpful by giving information to the OP on what we did when in Livorno and our recent personal experience. They are free to use it or ignore it as they choose - and I am happy to answer questions if any one would like clarification. However I don't appreciate you criticising my actions or deciding the value I should place on my time, or your opinion on what I paid for my cruise.

The reason that we wanted to leave early (at 7am) was so that we could come back early, not to have an extra hour in Florence. Therefore we didn't lose any time in Florence by going on the cruise bus, we just came back an hour later. We put the money we saved towards a meal out in Florence. We got to where we wanted to go, we were there for the amount of time that we wanted to be, and we saved some money. I don't understand how this is a false economy. Of course I didn't write all this in the original post as it is boring and not really relevant to the information that the OP was asking for.

Archived