Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

Hi All,

Does anyone who sent their Visa applications to GenVisa remember if GenVisa notified them when their Visa were done? If so - how did they make the notification - email? phone call?

Thanks

BTW Love all the pictures.

Oh yes, Caribill, I remember seeing a photo of the stairs when reviewing the thread. Thanks for the reminder! Am really glad that we should be going DOWN to the ship there. (Would be happier if there were handrails on the wall...)

But egads, Peregrina, please tell me the "floating docks" that you show are relatively steady and wide!! I'm a klutz as it is - exactly how wobbly is this walk?!? I remember in your blog your mentioning that it was pouring rain, and it looks from the photo that part of the way is submerged! Here's hoping for a dry sunny day.

What is the pier at Wuhan like?

Here is a series of photos showing some of the various mooring arrangements.

Walk to the Emerald/Sun in ChongQing:

Down the stairs...plenty of room next to the wall

IMG_6575-M.jpg

Across the mudflats this was in 2009 before the water level had risen

IMG_6574-M.jpg

In 2012 the river was much deeper, the walkways are stable and the crew is ready to assist as needed

IMG_7408-M.jpg

Gangways at Wuhan. The Navy Museum has been added since 2009:

IMG_6779-M.jpg

Gangway in JiuJiang, stop for the pottery museum on Cultural Delights

IMG_6699-M.jpg

Steps in FengDu, again a Cultural Delights stop only:

In 2009, many more stairs to climb...souvenir DVD plays Rocky Theme

IMG_6632-M.jpg

In 2012 there are around 100 less steps, but notice the high rises compared to 2009. No Rocky Theme now.

IMG_7260-M.jpg

Here are a few misguided thoughts concerning China:

All banks in China are government owned which maintains a fixed rate of conversion between RMB and USD regardless if it is exchanged in a hotel or at a bank or ATM machine. Many US Banks have agreements with sister banks in China waiving the fees for use of their ATM machines. Most banks charge a foreign exchange fee as well as the transaction fee for the ATM itself so ensure you withdraw sufficient funds to minimize getting nickel and dimed with fees. Depending upon the fees charged sometimes it is prudent to exchange cash. BofA sister bank is China Construction. Of course there are some financial institutions that waive all transaction fees for those lucky ones.

One of the peculiarities of China is the attitude toward small change...in the north they tend to round down. For example you exchange $100 for 628.84RMB, the hotel will give you 628RMB. But in Xian and to the south they will go to great lengths to give you exact amounts...we mailed 4 postcards at the concierge which resulted in receiving around .06RMB or less than a penny in change. The bell hop went to the receptionist and asked other employees for change before finally getting it from a local guide. We tried to explain to forget about the change, but it was lost in translation. RMB...Rénmínbì, the people's money, easier to say than mispronouncing Yuán (you AN) across China.

Keep in mind that speaking English in China does not mean they understand our choice of words for a particular context. For example...we use "text" to mean sending a written message via a cell phone, but in China it is SMS or "Duǎnxìn." Speak in short choppy sentences using the smallest words possible and you will have a much better chance at a positive interaction. In urban areas Chinese into their 40's know English, whether they are confident enough to use it is another matter. A few words in Chinese and some charades leads to some amazing conversations with them. Students studying English will follow tour groups to listen and they are very open to conversation to practice English with you.

China is rapidly becoming westernized...capitalist economy, access to the west via the internet...the more affluent pay for western IP addresses to access the same sites as we do. They understand our 3 branches of government and take an interest in the day to day activities in the US. China held a moment of silence for the Sandy Hook massacre.

The citizens are concerned about what we think with their ongoing dispute with Japan over some islands. They have legitimate worries that the US will side with Japan. They are seeing real changes in their government concerning easing of human rights of course at a snail's pace to them. Their communist party officials own 1/5 of China's GDP which is an enormous concentration of wealth. Their children are sent to universities in the US to study and avoid the pollution of an industrialized China. This winter cities like ShenYang are experiencing pollution levels considered dangerous by the EPA for many days to a couple of weeks at a time. They are having seminars concerning minimizing their impact to the environment at the company level across China.

They know their schools are overcrowded and underfunded; the parents must provide an active role if their child is to succeed. With 70 plus students in a classroom the teachers are facilitators, the child learns through studying at home with the parents. If a child is doing poorly the parents are brought to the carpet before the teacher to explain how they will improve their child's performance. If your child desk breaks, the parents have a responsibility to repair it.

A person in China making 3000RMB a month thinks nothing of paying 900RMB for a pair of Levis or 1500RMB for Air Jordans. Young people's attitudes are changing the quickest...living together prior to marriage is now accepted. Even children without the sanctity of marriage is ok provided the couple weds. Divorce is common place now, but women in their 40's and 50's struggle to find another suitable partner because the affluent men are interested in younger women to father another child.

If a couple were both from single child households then they are allowed to have two children, so China will have alternating generations of two and single child households. The reality of providing for the elderly with these single child households is really being felt across China. I have a friend who worries about her grandparents in their 80's live alone in Beijing three hours away by train...in the past the elderly would have moved in with the family, but that is not as widespread anymore.

The people of China are accessible through the website QQ international and want to interact with Americans. Those traveling to China have the opportunity to become friends with people living in the cities you will visit. I have standing invitations for a guided tour of the Panda Preserve in ChengDu, Warriors in Xian, a home cooked meal in YiChang(3 Gorges Dam), Shanghai, Beijing, along the Russian or North Korean borders. Right now they speak of temperatures ranging from -10 degrees to around 90 degrees depending on their location. Some own BMWs and have housekeeping services while others own shops working 16 hours a day/7 days a week to provide a meager living for their families.

Here are a few misguided thoughts concerning China:

If a couple were both from single child households then they are allowed to have two children, so China will have alternating generations of two and single child households.

It may have changed by now, but our guide 2.5 years ago told us this applied in certain areas of China, but throughout the country. Also, we were told that public school is not free and is a major cost in raising a child. The cost is so high, that parents who are allowed to have a second child often do not because they cannot afford its education.

Hi all, Off to Beijing in less than a month for the Imperial Jewels! My husband and I lived in Japan for a year and always loved the straw hats that the workers in the fields wore and of course they wear them in China, too. We would like to buy one as a souvenir. Did anyone see anything like that when you were out and about? I'm already planning on a waving Mao watch for our son (who one year dressed as Castro for Halloween--so this sounds like something he would like), a silk kite or kite of some kind for our four year old grandson, fresh water pearls for the d-in-law and daughter from the Pearl Market in Shanghai (we are staying an extra day after the tour finishes) all thanks to this forum. Other things I have learned is how/what to pack, what to do on our free first day in Beijing (we have a forced overnight as we are arriving at 11 p.m.--really looking forward to how miserable we will be then but at least it's a non-stop from Chicago), to buy an sd card for the camera for each day of the trip and not to delete pictures on the camera--I never knew that, not to open my eyes or mouth in the shower, received a copy of the spreadsheet that Kohola developed on Chinese language and culture (which is fabulous), found out that the docking situation for the Viking Emerald has improved as the Yangtse has risen over the years, tips on how to avoid foods that you don't like or are allergic to while on the tours or on the ship, what to bring to stay healthy--or to ward off the illnesses/injuries if you don't get them and schlepped all that stuff to China with you and didn't need it, looked at fabulous pictures, read incredible trip reports and blogs and even live in-country reports as the traveler encountered issues, and on and on. Last night I (finally) finished reading all 72 pages (!) of part 2 (whew!) and now I'm going to go to part 1 and read the suggested year or so of prior postings. Thanks so much to this community for all of the wonderful sharing.

Last night I (finally) finished reading all 72 pages (!) of part 2 (whew!) and now I'm going to go to part 1 and read the suggested year or so of prior postings. Thanks so much to this community for all of the wonderful sharing.

At this point, the fun part of Part 1 are the posts from the first year; you will see how much the cruise (and the river) has changed since they inaugurated the cruise.

I tried to ask our group leader where to buy fabric and it was complete a complete bust. He had no idea what I was looking for. I looked for bolts of fabric when we went to the silk factory but did not easily see any. (Do all of the tours go to the Silk Factory or just Cultural Delights?)

Did anyone else see fabric stores along the way or hear about where to buy fabrics? The only bolts of fabric that I saw were the ones in the tailor shop on board the ship.

Peregrina,

My DW is a world class fabric shopper. We are on the Mar 29 China Explorer (Beijing to Shanghai)

cruise and have a "forced night" and free day on Mar 28.

So I have been doing some research on where to buy fabric in Beijing and our other ports. I should stress that I have no first hand experience with any of these places. All of my info comes from travel books and the internet. Maybe some others have actually been there and can comment. With that disclaimer, here's my list:

Beijing

Ya Xiu Market (3rd floor)

58 Gongti Bei Lu

Youyi Shopping City

Lufthansa Center

52 Liangmaqiao Lu

Chaoyang District

Chengdu

Lotus Market

(fabric, crafts, notions)

Chongqing

Fabric Market

In Jeifangbei near Chaotianmen

Shanghai

South Bund Fabric Market

399 Lujiabang Lu

(near Nanpu Bridge)

Qixiang Cloth Market

168 Dongmen Rd

(near Yu Yuan Garden)

Jiang Nan Silk Shopping Center

289 Ao Men Rd

I understand there are many shops in both Hangzhou (supposedly 600 stores) and Suzhow. Each within abt an hour of Shanghai by high speed train. We are considering adding an extra day in Shanghai.

Homerun

Thanks Homerun!!!! I am also a diehard fabric shopper and not bring home silk from China is just not an option. The internet is a great resource but it would just be nice to have someone who has experienced a great fabric shopping expereince.......

Chengdu

Lotus Market

(fabric, crafts, notions)

Only Explorer will visit here--and you, homerun, will be among the first to visit with Viking. No idea how much spare time you will have but if other cities days are any indication, Viking will keep you busy most of the day.

Chongqing

Fabric Market

In Jeifangbei near Chaotianmen

Can't say about Explorer's time here but other itineraries are rushed through the city with no opportunity to leave the group because you have connections to make.

In other words, these are probably not good places to try to shop for fabric.

I understand there are many shops in both Hangzhou (supposedly 600 stores) and Suzhow. Each within abt an hour of Shanghai by high speed train. We are considering adding an extra day in Shanghai.

Homerun

Suzhow is a silk making city. Cultural Delights makes a stop here at the No.1 Silk Factory, however as I said I never did find if it was possible to buy lengths of fabric here; everything I saw in the factory store was finished goods.

Also, don't forget to check out Trip Advisor. You may find a bigger audience and hence more of a chance of finding someone who has bought cloth in China.

It may have changed by now, but our guide 2.5 years ago told us this applied in certain areas of China, but throughout the country. Also, we were told that public school is not free and is a major cost in raising a child. The cost is so high, that parents who are allowed to have a second child often do not because they cannot afford its education.

I am assuming you meant "but not" throughout the country. The single child policy which began in 1979 was originally to last only a single generation, but has been maintained in place. The original policy restricted urban couples to only one child, while allowing additional children in several cases, including rural couples, ethnic minorities, couples who are both only children themselves, child is disabled, replace children lost during last major earthquake and other miscellaneous circumstances. China discovered the 4-2-1 consequences of this plan...4 grandparents, 2 parents supported by only one child and began lessening the restrictions or face the prospect of the government providing for the welfare of its elderly. Now it is determined at the provincial or state level. It is true that if a couple violates the policy they face large fines and must pay for the education of both children themselves to make it financially prohibitive.

The public education system in China is similar to the US; nine years of compulsory education where family only pays for textbooks. High school is not provided free to students, it may cost around 10,000RMB or $1,500 including room and board depending on a student's academic achievement. Those who cannot afford traditional high school or don't qualify academically may go to a vocational school partially funded by the state.

The schools in Jingzhou are not entirely representative of China's school system much like the have and have not school districts across the US. Where I volunteer...some schools are wireless throughout and in others my smartphone doesn't even get a signal.

I would like to avoid ATM fees by using my Bank of America card at their partner China Construction Bank (CCB). Are their any CCB ATM's at Shanghai Pudong Airport or in Shanghai?

Per the China Construction Bank website there is not an ATM located at the PuDong airport, but one at the secondary airport. Trip Advisor provides contradictory information as to whether one is located at the PuDong airport. CCB has 18 pages of bank locations and 11 pages of ATM machine locations in Shanghai. We used one near the Westin Bund Hotel during our trip.

My husband traveled to China 3 years ago and bought me some (fake) jade earrings at the fake market in Shanghai. When he got to the U.S. customs agent he told him that if it had been real he wouldn't have been able to bring it back. Looking at the Know Before You Go booklet I can see no reference to jade. Anyone else encountered this issue--or not if you had jade? Thanks!

My husband traveled to China 3 years ago and bought me some (fake) jade earrings at the fake market in Shanghai. When he got to the U.S. customs agent he told him that if it had been real he wouldn't have been able to bring it back. Looking at the Know Before You Go booklet I can see no reference to jade. Anyone else encountered this issue--or not if you had jade? Thanks!

Would Viking be taking us to a jade store to shop if bringing jade into the country was a problem? A goodly percentage of its clientele is American. Also, I don't remember a single comment on this thread about troubles with jade and surely by now someone would have commented.

Many people on our cruise bought jadeite (the better quality stone) and jade, including my in-laws and my in-laws did not have any issues bringing it in.

Perhaps the agent was trying to make a comment to the effect that if it had been real jade then he would have spent so much on a similar item that he would have had to pay customs duty on the purchase?

However, since you brought up the fakes market, there are regulations about bringing fake name-brands into the country and if anyone is planning on buying counterfeit merchandise (like handbags or watches) then they should read up on the topic. You do risk having such merchandise confiscated as such items are considered illegal in the US under copyright and trademark laws. You can read about it on the Customs website.

Would Viking be taking us to a jade store to shop if bringing jade into the country was a problem? A goodly percentage of its clientele is American. Also, I don't remember a single comment on this thread about troubles with jade and surely by now someone would have commented.

Perhaps the agent was trying to make a comment to the effect that if it had been real jade then he would have spent so much on a similar item that he would have had to pay customs duty on the purchase?

However, since you brought up the fakes market, there are regulations about bringing fake name-brands into the country and if anyone is planning on buying counterfeit merchandise (like handbags or watches) then they should read up on the topic. You do risk having such merchandise confiscated as such items are considered illegal in the US under copyright and trademark laws. You can read about it on the Customs website.

Hi Peregrina, Thanks for your reply. I specifically asked my husband if I was remembering correctly--after all it was his experience and not mine--and he said that the customs agent compared the jade trade with blood diamonds! I think that there are probably some that are misinformed about their own regulations. He didn't remember this but I think that the agent mentioned that some of it came from Myanmar which at the time was still very much closed off from the rest of the world (maybe that has changed the regulations since then but I see/have seen way in the past too jade all of the time in the U.S.)--so I will look forward with enjoyment to buying some jade if I find something that I want (and can afford!--that will probably eliminate the jadeite). As to the fake market, he didn't buy any of the illegal stuff there--others do that we know of but I have read the booklet that the customs puts out (which is what prompted my question as there was no mention of jade) and don't want to get stopped (and maybe fined) for buying a fake Gucci or something--it's not worth it! I'll stick with the waving Mao watch :)

Would Viking be taking us to a jade store to shop if bringing jade into the country was a problem?

Does Viking take the Imperial Jewels passengers to a jade store? I didn't see that in the online itinerary but I might have missed it. I hope so. We get our documents tomorrow or the day after--TA has them--and I'll be reading them with close attention to that detail. Thanks again for your answer Peregrina!

Does Viking take the Imperial Jewels passengers to a jade store? I didn't see that in the online itinerary but I might have missed it. I hope so. We get our documents tomorrow or the day after--TA has them--and I'll be reading them with close attention to that detail. Thanks again for your answer Peregrina!

The jade store is the lunch stop after the Great Wall. However, jade is available at other places as well including at the Great Wall and in the gift store at the Xi'an warriors.