Staying in Renaissance in Newark

Archie4

Couple of wee questions. We are staying here on 19th November before our cruise on Explorer next day.

How handy is this hotel to getting to the train station for an evening in NYC?

What is the craic to getting the transfer to the boat on the 20th - what sort of time do they pick you up at/ do they take care of luggage etc straight from hotel to cabin?

Hotel / transfers etc all part of our package

While any of the hotels at EWR are good, with an easy taxi / shuttle to Bayonne cruise port, our recommendation would be either the Weston, the Hyatt, or the Marriott Courtyard, all of which are on the Jersey City waterfront. 1) Perfect skyline views of New York City; 2) Easy transport into New York City, which would be a fun way to begin your vacation; 3) Easy transfer to Bayonne (no longer in terms of time than the EWR hotels, but I think it's even closer.

Just our two quid ...

Michael and Silke

Edited to add that the transport into New York is a quick 15 minute train ride from the Newport or Exchange Place PATH station, right to 33rd Street and 6th Avenue in midtown Manhattan.

The Renaissance is a airport hotel and is not easily accessible to the train. YOu would have to get a taxi/shuttle to the train. Mike's suggestions are good if you want easy access to NYC.

If you purchased the pre stay through the cruise line, once they take your luggage onto the transfer, it's handled until it reaches your cabin. For pick up times you will have to check with the cruise line.

Archie4 - You've bought your hotel and cruise transfers through the cruiseline, so that is what you have to work with. Most folks do NOT stay precruise in Jersey City unless they do all the details themselves and get a good hotel deal.

Where are you planning to go in Manhattan? That can affect your choices.

From the Renaissance I would take a cab to Elizabeth Penn Station and the NJ Transit train to New York Penn Station for $6.75/pp (less if you're a senior over 62). I don't know what the cab will cost, but Elizabeth Station is closer to the Renaissance than Newark Penn Station.

You can also take the shuttle back to the airport and the monorail to Newark Airport Station. This will cost $12.50/pp each way.

Hi 138east

Yeah bit at the mercy of Royal Caribbean with regards to the hotel. Want to try and beat the jet lag by keeping active until a reasonable bed time and we think Times Square might be the spot to do it in lol!! Any rough idea about cost of a cab to Elizabeth Penn Station from the hotel. We will be a group of four.

With 4 people that's definitely the way to go. I'm guessing no more than $15, but I really don't know. Elizabeth Station is not very far away from the Renaissance, which is on the SW side of the airport in Elizabeth.

Here's the NJ Transit site - http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo.

New York Penn Station is about 10 blocks from Times Square - an easy walk.

Another option is to take the hotel shuttle to the airport. Ask them to drop you at the Nj Transit stop. If they can't, once inside the terminal take the monorail to that stop and get on the New Jersey Transit train from there. That may be easier as well as cheaper.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

There's a surcharge from the airport station to NY - the fare is $12.50/pp each way. The fare from Elizabeth is only $6.75. So with 4 people it will be faster and less expensive to take a cab to Elizabeth Station.

There's a surcharge from the airport station to NY - the fare is $12.50/pp each way. The fare from Elizabeth is only $6.75. So with 4 people it will be faster and less expensive to take a cab to Elizabeth Station.

I guess that depends on the cost of the taxi to Elizabeth. If the shuttle takes them right to the train station at the airport, that would be faster than a taxi to ELizabeth. For me personally, I wouldn't want to bother with going in the opposite direction to ELizabeth. I'd probably pay the extra train fare. Guess the OP has to decide their preference.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

The Newark Airport Station is not accessible by vehicles. It is only accessible via the monorail from Newark Airport. The Renaissance is only 2 miles from the Elizabeth Station. It appears to be closer to the P4 monorail stop, but when you consider all the one way roads and ramps to get to places at the airport, it's actually further.

I'd ask at the desk in the Renaissance as to what they recommend. Perhaps it's better to go one way and return the other. If I were coming back through Elizabeth Station, I'd ask about the availability of cabs.

The Newark Airport Station is not accessible by vehicles. It is only accessible via the monorail from Newark Airport. The Renaissance is only 2 miles from the Elizabeth Station. It appears to be closer to the P4 monorail stop, but when you consider all the one way roads and ramps to get to places at the airport, it's actually further.

I'd ask at the desk in the Renaissance as to what they recommend. Perhaps it's better to go one way and return the other. If I were coming back through Elizabeth Station, I'd ask about the availability of cabs.

And the Marriott Courtyard and the Hyatt Regency -- both located in Jersey City -- have PATH Train access directly into New York City right outside their property. And the PATH train cost is $2 per person, less expensive than NJT. No need to worry about the airport monorail, taxi to Elizabeth or anything like that. And, when the time for the cruise arrives, there are taxis aplenty to take you to the Bayonne Terminal.

For now, my logic is intact regarding the recommendation of Jersey City ... and the view from that area is right on the Hudson River waterfront, right across to the City.

Michael

Michael - no one has a problem with staying in Jersey City - I recommend it all the time. The only problem is the additional hotel and cab costs, which can be substantial and something that many cruisers don't want to pay for. Archie4 doesn't have that choice - he is coming from the UK and has pre-purchased his hotel and transfers. So he must work with what he has. They are four people staying at the Renaissance. They want to run into NY. Train is the easiest way to do that, so they have to decide if they want to go from Elizabeth Station or Newark Airport Station.

Yeah Michael + 138east we have to play with the hand we are dealt in this instance. If the Elizabeth Station plan works out about $25 each for a return journey that would not be too scary and sounds easy even for us Brits lol!!!! Get the Bud lites chilled about 6 weeks to go!!!! Thanks for your help!!!

bud light?? nah. smithwicks???? yup!

frozen thinggies???? even better!!!

Frozen thinggies???!!!! sounds interesting more info please!!!

Also (maybe I should start a new topic but I'll give it a go) when the cruise is over we are staying 3 nights in Midtown Holiday Inn. Will there be cabs at the port for hire? or can you advise of a more economical means of getting their??

You should arrange a car service so you know the price in advance. Cab fares between NJ and NY are not regulated so they can quote you anything if you try to make an on the spot arrangement at Cape Liberty. Try Black Executive, Dial 7, or Carmellimo - be sure to specify how many people and how much luggage and get a quote that identifies the fare and the tolls - tip would be extra.

That's a great deal if it's $201.50 (+ tax???) for two people with 12 days parking and port transfers - quite frankly for a cruise line offer it sounds more like a per person rate. The rack rate for the Renaissance park/sleep is $259 + tax and only includes 8 days parking. Add on another $80-100 for the value of the transportation.

The cheapest park/sleep that we recommend is $115 ($138 w/tax) with 14 days parking plus another $80 minimum for the round trip cruise transport.

If you do this, let us know more details as to how folks sailing on Celebrity can arrange this.

Meg - love your pictures. Looks like a really nice hotel. How's the location?

Yeah that 201 sounds low for 2 peeps..and booking thru the cruise line, you usually pay PER PERSON not per room

Carol..the location isn't bad. It is adjacent to the Hilton, and then the Hampton Inn..again, nothing around and if you aren't paying attention, you'll miss the Frontage Road/Spring Street...BUT that said, aside from there being no other eating options, the location sucks waaaayyyy less than some other places. (nothing WRONG with the location...and you can get a lovely view of the highway, and the airport...and i love airport views---my juvenile obsession with all things aircraft!!)

--remember, it's an urban, airport area location....HOWEVER, it's better located than some of the others....

I MAY be doing a points/nights run there very soon....like, maybe tomorrow!

The rooms are VERY nicely done...i even tweeted that back to the Renaissance hotels corp tweety thing....:D

As a whole, Marriott seems to be reinventing the whole Ren brand as a 'boutiquey' type brand..maybe like the W hotels but a little less "Hip" and annoying.....If they'd only make the Ren at the PHL airport look like THAT one..but i digress..

The parking lot is decent sized; whereas the ones at the Wyndham and Holiday Inn are really tight....

Archived