How is the atmosphere on Oceania?

Booyakasha

We did Alaska on the Regatta and were about 7 pre teens on board and 4 teens . The cruise crew institute a junior cruiser program on the fly and the children all seemed to have a good time. They didn't cause any one a bit of trouble and were pleasant to have on board.

In this thread and others on the subject of children on O posters (including me) have shared their opinions and experience. But, one incontrovertible fact remains ... O has designed the offered vacation experience for adults. When children are brought on board there are two primary risks:

One ... that the children might not appreciate the adult orientation

Two ... that the behavior of the children is disruptive to the enjoyment of the hundreds of adults on board.

I don't feel that it is reasonable for a passenger to take such a risk, wihen there is possible negative consequences for others.

In this thread and others on the subject of children on O posters (including me) have shared their opinions and experience. But, one incontrovertible fact remains ... O has designed the offered vacation experience for adults. When children are brought on board there are two primary risks:

Two ... that the behavior of the children is disruptive to the enjoyment of the hundreds of adults on board.

I don't feel that it is reasonable for a passenger to take such a risk, wihen there is possible negative consequences for others.

So well put!

One would think there was a shortage of cruise lines that welcome and encourage children....Why choose O ?:confused:

Perfectly said. Why would anyone choose to take children on cruise line designed for adult enjoyment especially where so many of the passengers choose the line because they prefer not to cruise with children?

As far as the OP's children swimming laps or racing under water, this is not feasible. Lap swimmers basically have allocated early mornings before the pool becomes occupied. Every O cruise I've been on has had a few groupings of passengers standing in various spots in the pool, chatting. I find absolutely nothing wrong with this and swimming laps, etc. would not be welcomed. JMHO.

We are not anti children but just do not care for masses of them ;)

but having said that we have found any children on O to be very well behaved more so than some seniors that we encountered

I have never seen more than 8 on any of our O cruises so you are not getting 100's of them running amuck like on the mass market lines

One .some children are raised in adult only surroundings & do fine with adults on a cruise (some are better behaved than some adults)

two...have not seen disruptive behavior from children on an O cruise with the exception of a family entertainment group that was mentioned already

Babies are less acceptable but teens & pre teens are usually very well behaved

It really depends on the children & parents know what their children can tolerate

With a port intensive cruise you will probably never see them anyway

JMO

Lyn

As I said earlier -- and I think it is critical to the issue -- what constitutes "well-behaved" is in the eye of the beholder. There are some parents whose definition of "well-behaved" or "behavior suitable to the situation" does not jibe with that of the rest of the world.

Here is just one example -- If I see a child screaming or splashing around in a pool on an O ship, I do not consider that well-behaved. Some parents would respond, "It's the pool area - the kids are just being kids." I don't particularly care for such behavior on Celebrity (especially when I am trying to read and relax -- so I move) but I realize I should expect it with the demographic Celebrity attracts. On O, I would not expect it. I would be quite annoyed, in fact, as would other passengers, I expect.

There are numerous other examples where definitions of "well-behaved" might clash.

Repeating myself once again, a few years ago we were on Regent and there was a family of grandparents and two couples and their brood of the most ill-mannered kids I've ever seen. 5 kids from ages 7 down. The parents/grandparents were "on vacation," and therefore any discipline was not happening. For the kids to behave the way they did, I imagine discipline was not happening at home either. I felt very bad for one elderly gentleman who was reading in the library when these kids tore through...he actually yelled at them to shut up.

There was also another couple with 2 kid. These were the most well-behaved kids you'd ever want to meet. The parents were not "on vacation," if you know what I mean and it was obvious the children were well behaved at home, also. I went out of my way to compliment them on their lovely children and they beamed.

I'll back Ester up on this, that cruise made me "kid-shy" for cruises ever-after :eek: We had the misfortune of being on a 2 1/2 hour flight after the cruise with the former family and the kids screamed and kicked the entire flight. We were at least 10 rows from them and could still hear them....

Being on an airplane in confined space with kids is different matter

Been there done that ...NOT FUN!!

Try 6 hrs on a transatlantic flight with kids hyped up on sugar & kicking your seats all night :eek:

On a ship they do have room to roam

Until there are other adult only cruise lines other than P & O

I guess we have to put on our big girl & big boy pants & deal with it

Oceania is still miles away from the mass market lines in kids dept

Lyn

Boo, every O cruise we've been on has had children as pax. There was one with 2 different Alumni groups--will never say anything about 2 or 3 children on board again. Remember you are paying just like the non-kid people and it is your vacation of choice. Go for it. Pat

I'll back Ester up on this, that cruise made me "kid-shy" for cruises ever-after :eek: We had the misfortune of being on a 2 1/2 hour flight after the cruise with the former family and the kids screamed and kicked the entire flight. We were at least 10 rows from them and could still hear them....

Not so worried about this. My oldest has flown enough miles to get Gold status on American this year. He is a better pon a plane than I am. :rolleyes:

There are certainly a lot of bad kids out there and I understand people's concern it drives me crazy too when I see bad kids as we work very hard with our kids to be polite and respectful so I understand where some of the comments are coming from. To be quite honest having less kids on a cruise is a plus for me also even if I am travelling with my kids.

Would it be nice for them to meet a friend or 2.... certainly. My sons still keep in touch with a family from Portugal we met on our Alaska cruise but it is by no means a neccesity.

B.

Boo, every O cruise we've been on has had children as pax. There was one with 2 different Alumni groups--will never say anything about 2 or 3 children on board again. Remember you are paying just like the non-kid people and it is your vacation of choice. Go for it. Pat

Thanks Pat. They will be travelling on full adult fare also as we have to get 2 rooms.

B.

OMG, I had no idea you had the pleasure of their company once again!!! A year later I was on the phone with a rep from Regent and mentioned this group and to my amazement, he knew exactly who I was talking about -- evidently this mob made themselves known to Regent whether they wanted to or not.

None of us on the Mariner will ever forget that cruise!

Archived