Sea Sickness

snoozy

I used one of the chairs in that game area to video a force 9 storm last January. My only complaint was the temperature! Way too cold in that one little area.

Mrs Wilburforce, you are alot braver than I.

Those wristband things seem to work very well for my husband who was prone to sea sickness in the past. On our recent TA he was fine with those and no pills - mind you he did put them on when we left Southampton, kept them on day and night for 7 days apart from taking them off when he had a shower!:)

Mysticalmother - do you get the wristbands from a regular chemist/drugstore?

I used one of the chairs in that game area to video a force 9 storm last January. My only complaint was the temperature! Way too cold in that one little area.

I love being down there when things get a bit bumpy - it's fantastic to watch the waves rushing past, or occasionally washing over the windows. But you're right - that area is always cold no matter what the outside temperature is like. I've discussed that on another thread but nobody could come up with a convincing answer as to why it's like that.

J

I love being down there when things get a bit bumpy - it's fantastic to watch the waves rushing past, or occasionally washing over the windows. But you're right - that area is always cold no matter what the outside temperature is like. I've discussed that on another thread but nobody could come up with a convincing answer as to why it's like that.

J

I can't watch the water there. It's moving by so fast, and my eyes try to follow the motion. The fast back-and-forth eye movement makes me dizzy.

I can't watch the water there. It's moving by so fast, and my eyes try to follow the motion. The fast back-and-forth eye movement makes me dizzy.

For me, it's the fast moving water that's the attraction. I find it totally mesmerising and I could watch it all day. The only problem is that it pretty much guarantees that M will always win the Scrabble game :eek:

J

You can get them from Boots and you can also usually buy them on the ship.

They certainly sell them on the QM2 - they are a bit buried on the bottom shelf but definately there along with the paracetamol & Lemsip stuff! (Hubby actually forgot to pack his this time so as soon as the shop opened he was straight down to the shop!)

Another tip someone told me in the Antarctic (never seen seas like them) was to look at the horizon. rather than letting it move through your field of vision.

David.

Another tip someone told me in the Antarctic (never seen seas like them) was to look at the horizon. rather than letting it move through your field of vision.

David.

Is there a correct way to look at the horizon? How long do you have to look at it before it starts having an effect?

Is there a correct way to look at the horizon? How long do you have to look at it before it starts having an effect?

All you have to do is to keep your eyes fixed on the horizon. This means that you are holding your head steady and allowing the vestibular system in your inner ear to settle down and stop causing the nausea. It's a bit like gyro-stabilising your head :D:D

The fact that you're watching the horizon also tends to mean that you are outside and the fresh air helps as well.

J

All you have to do is to keep your eyes fixed on the horizon. This means that you are holding your head steady and allowing the vestibular system in your inner ear to settle down and stop causing the nausea. It's a bit like gyro-stabilising your head :D:D

The fact that you're watching the horizon also tends to mean that you are outside and the fresh air helps as well.

J

Stop thinking about it is all that is needed!

I am the worst sailor in the world, pretty unfortunate for someone who loves transatlantic travel. I have tried every trick in the book over the years, none of them work except the injection. It was magical. Pre-injection I was lying in my bed, groaning and quite seriously wanting to die. 30 minutes after the injection I was in the Kings Court having breakfast. It was the first crossing I've ever made where I didn't have to head back to the cabin at all. Next time it's the first thing I'll do when I board the ship.

Oh and yes, the corridors alongside the Royal Court and round by Illuminations is easily the worst place on the ship for feeling the motion. One of the better places is the Golden Lion.

I am the worst sailor in the world, pretty unfortunate for someone who loves transatlantic travel. I have tried every trick in the book over the years, none of them work except the injection. It was magical. Pre-injection I was lying in my bed, groaning and quite seriously wanting to die. 30 minutes after the injection I was in the Kings Court having breakfast. It was the first crossing I've ever made where I didn't have to head back to the cabin at all. Next time it's the first thing I'll do when I board the ship.

Oh and yes, the corridors alongside the Royal Court and round by Illuminations is easily the worst place on the ship for feeling the motion. One of the better places is the Golden Lion.

Thanks Rockbird, you sound just like me. I love transatlantic too. My husband is so lucky in that he doesn't get affected by the ship's motion.

Can you have the injection as a precautionary measure or do you have to wait until the weather gets worse? Also what sort of price is the injection do you remember?

Many thanks

Denise

Thanks Rockbird, you sound just like me. I love transatlantic too. My husband is so lucky in that he doesn't get affected by the ship's motion.

Can you have the injection as a precautionary measure or do you have to wait until the weather gets worse? Also what sort of price is the injection do you remember?

Many thanks

Denise

My husband went down to see the dr for me the day we boarded as I couldn't move from the bed and he came back with Avomine tablets which I think are ok but I couldn't keep anything down and they made no difference to me. On the first morning I felt marginally better so bolted down to the medical centre first thing and asked for it. I was told that you will only be given it if you are actually sick so bear that in mind, even if you haven't. For me, the constant feeling of severe nausea, like morning sickness, is worse than the actual vomiting. I was extremely sick when we were still coming out of NY and the sea conditions were very smooth so I don't think it's anything to do with the weather, just how bad you feel and if that's as soon as you board, as it was for me, then so be it.

I have $60 in my head for the cost but don't quote me on that. TBH I would have paid $600 at that point! And it stopped me wanting to kill people that were wandering around the ship without a care in the world... ;)

Good luck, hope you manage to enjoy it :)

Archived