Question re guarantee

Wehwalt

I am taking Westerdam in three weeks (eastbound Panama Canal) and have a guaranteed VH. I note now the sailing is sold out.

What should I expect? Will the cabin be assigned in advance? If it is to be assigned when I check in, is there any strategy to this to get the best upgrade? Show up early, show up late?

The cabin could be assigned in advance or at check-in or both. (That has happened to me.) As far as a strategy, just show up. Nobody knows the rationale for cabin assignment, if in fact there is any rationale. :)

What should I expect? Will the cabin be assigned in advance? If it is to be assigned when I check in, is there any strategy to this to get the best upgrade? Show up early, show up late?

I mainly do guarantees. One was assigned a few days from sailing, others one - two weeks from sailing date. I don't think it matters what time you show up on sail date - your cabin will have been assigned by then whatever time you show up.

Have you checked your booking on HAL's website? It will show your cabin number when assigned. I am sailing on 10/24 and got my assignment on 10/6. Usually shows up 14 days or less. There is nothing you can do that will change what they assign you. Show up whenever you like. Just don't miss the ship. :D

It came through, it is VB 6160. That's the last port cabin except for the corner cabin, so it lacks a bath (shower only), which I don't care much about as shower is fine. Don't know if there are other pros/cons, grateful for any thoughts (Westerdam).

Archived