Any Roman ruins near Monte Carlo?

cruisemom42

I just booked a Med cruise next fall and already have plans for each port except Monte Carlo. I've visited Monaco before on a land trip; not really my cup of tea. Are there any nearby cities that might feature something more interesting along the lines of ancient ruins? It looks like Arles and Nimes would be too far for a day trip?

• 3 weeks later...
Looks like La Turbie and Cimiez might hold some promise -- anyone been there on a daytrip from Monte Carlo (or other visit)?

Cynthia, I have been to Monaco and don't want to see it again.

I found this tour from someone on cc.

http://www.revelation-tours.com/excursions/excursions-thematiques/ancient-civilizations.php

titre.jpg << Back to the excursions+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - + The Greeks and the Romans have shaped the western culture.

Our cities and our countryside keep the monumental traces of those prestigious civilizations, as well as those of Celtic people of the Bronze Age.

From the Roman Cemenelum (Cimiez), the antique region’s capital, counterpart of the Greek Nikaia (Nice), to the oppidum (a stone enclosure) built by the Celts near Monaco hundreds of years before Christ, passing by the famous Augustus Trophy in La Turbie.

We invite you to a fascinating journey of 2,500 years into the past and possibly your heritage, to discover our region from that unusual point of view. Fascinating and accessible to all.

Following the red string of antiquity, you will discover some of the most beautiful sites and the most impressive panoramas of the Riviera.

A 15 minute walk at the « Mont des mules ». Comfortable shoes recommended

Guided visits

Drive through

CEMENELUM (Nice)

AUGUSTUS TROPHY

(La Turbie)

MONT DES MULES

OPPIDUM (Beausoleil)

EZE

UPPER CORNICHE

CIMIEZ

Excursion lenght : 4 hours

Wednesday – Friday – Sunday

Departure from your hotel at 9:00 am

Without the entrance fees included :

59€

With the entrance fees included

68€

I have been researching for our cruise stop in Cannes next summer. We don't want to spend time in Monte Carlo and prefer historical sites. It seems that there are some Roman ruins in Nice right near the Matisse museum. We're arranging a private tour so that we can see Nice as well as the surrounding Medieval villages. That way we don't have to worry about getting from one place to another.

Cynthia, I have been to Monaco and don't want to see it again.

I found this tour from someone on cc.

http://www.revelation-tours.com/excursions/excursions-thematiques/ancient-civilizations.php

titre.jpg << Back to the excursions+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - + The Greeks and the Romans have shaped the western culture.

Our cities and our countryside keep the monumental traces of those prestigious civilizations, as well as those of Celtic people of the Bronze Age.

From the Roman Cemenelum (Cimiez), the antique region’s capital, counterpart of the Greek Nikaia (Nice), to the oppidum (a stone enclosure) built by the Celts near Monaco hundreds of years before Christ, passing by the famous Augustus Trophy in La Turbie.

We invite you to a fascinating journey of 2,500 years into the past and possibly your heritage, to discover our region from that unusual point of view. Fascinating and accessible to all.

Following the red string of antiquity, you will discover some of the most beautiful sites and the most impressive panoramas of the Riviera.

A 15 minute walk at the « Mont des mules ». Comfortable shoes recommended

Guided visits

Drive through

CEMENELUM (Nice)

AUGUSTUS TROPHY

(La Turbie)

MONT DES MULES

OPPIDUM (Beausoleil)

EZE

UPPER CORNICHE

CIMIEZ

Excursion lenght : 4 hours

Wednesday – Friday – Sunday

Departure from your hotel at 9:00 am

Without the entrance fees included :

59€

With the entrance fees included

68€

Thanks; this is much appreciated in helping with my plans. :)

• 1 month later...

Bonjour, Cynthia

Yes, there are Roman ruins around Monaco and Nice ...

La Turbie has an impressive monument, the Trophée Auguste, towering above Monaco, partially rebuilt and open to the public. Interesting little museum with explanations about the history and the excavations in the 19th century. The village itself has been built with Roman stones, using the ancient monument as a quarry.

In front of the monument gates, vast terrace with an incredible view over Monaco.

Part of the Grande Corniche road runs on the ancient Via Julia Augusta with spectacular scenic sights, if you choose to walk a little bit towards the Parc Naturale. Nice place for lunch there: Hotel Hermitage in Col d‘Eze ... quiet garden with view over the Alps and very good local cuisine.

The Nice Cemenulum excavations, ruins and museum should be included in your sightseeing as well. We stayed for at least 2 hours to see the museum and the ground outside. The amphitheater has been closed last year for renovation.

Also nice to see there: The Cimiez monastery‘s church, rose garden and cemetery, as well as the old Hotel Regina, built for Queen Victoria.

Both places can be easily combined with a private tour, or you may use a rental car with GPS (to make navigating Nice easier). To use public transportation is not advised due to difficult and infrequent schedules.

I‘d suggest to start with Nice in the morning, drive back along the Grand Corniche towards La Turbie and finish with the Trophée and the views over Monaco.

984442677_01ViewfromLaTurbietowardsMonaco.jpg.c23c9fb0f2514e00ba0d5fe5e48d385e.jpg

1544260226_02NiceCimiezNorthernthermes.jpg.2a9a05d242fd4583f8f1beeed563a32f.jpg

166242308_03NiceCimiezthermae.jpg.b6c7312b56e5f950405462b7910b6129.jpg

812602573_04NiceCimiezexcavations.jpg.529ee130f0a2d967d060546ea08fd629.jpg

Bonjour BiggiB and merci for the information. I had read some mention of the monument in La Turbie but sometimes it is difficult to know how worthwhile something is without confirmation. I appreciate it and the information on Nice as well. It sounds like there will be some good options to fill the day with a private tour!

Archived