Advice needed on Grand TUrk excursions

hubby has horseback exc.booked,,but nothing not related to beach stuff offered for me..anyone gone out on own,,like HOHO bus tour listed here under Ports section info,,,or walked to town??I m going to be by myself and want to see island,,but feel safe at same time..any suggestions?

Did go to ports section,,,but most answers not for single travelers.

Any help would be appreciated..have tours booked for all other ports..

Would Destination services offer island tour onboard,,for one?:confused:

Alexandra,

Take a look at the Dune Buggy Adventure excursion. The description makes it sound like it has a lot of beach time but that is not true. The stops we made were not beach stops. It is also not as strenuous as the three person symbol implies.

The excursion consists of a small group of two-person self-drive dune buggies following the leader's dune buggy around the island. You will be perfectly safe and driving the dune buggy is a lot of fun to boot.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Alexandra,

Take a look at the Dune Buggy Adventure excursion. The description makes it sound like it has a lot of beach time but that is not true. The stops we made were not beach stops. It is also not as strenuous as the three person symbol implies.

The excursion consists of a small group of two-person self-drive dune buggies following the leader's dune buggy around the island. You will be perfectly safe and driving the dune buggy is a lot of fun to boot.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Did go back and re read but said those with neck and back probs..should avoid,,since I have both,,guess its "too much"...anything with safety goggles sounds a little over the top to this senior lady...but thanks...

Did email Dest.Serv.to ask about other options...we ll see...:)

My wife and I took the "Mangrove Clear Kayaking and Eco Safari". At first, I thought this was going to be really a tame and I wasn't too thrilled about the trip. However, after it was all over I was glad that I went.

The scenery was beautiful and we ate fresh conch just taken from the clear waters. This trip also got us away from the usual tourist areas and the hoards of people from a number of large cruise ships.

I also wonder if the Catamaran Sail & Snorkel (or whatever the actual name is) might not be a good options. I know it has the 3-person symbol, and the warning about neck/back problems, but I wonder if it really is very strenuous... I've done catamaran sails in different spots around Hawaii, and they've been really tame (especially given that you'll have tenders under your belt -- the catamarans I've been on have been way smoother rides than tenders), and you don't have to snorkel if you're not interested in that part.

I hadn't noticed it before, but I do think it's pretty awful that Regent is only offering 3-person excursions for this port -- you should definitely contact Regent (or have your TA do it) to register your displeasure/concern. Considering the age makeup of the average Regent cruise, it does seem pretty exclusive (in the bad way).

We just got off the ship and in the taxi line. They would put random people together and give an island tour. We went to all of the places the more expensive island tour sold on the ship went to. At the end we had the choice of being taken back to the ship or being dropped in town and we could walk back to the ship. This was about 5 years ago so I am not positive they still do this.

I ll be on own and not sure about crime rates,,etc..Also,,how far a walk to town??Again,,is that area safe for senior lady on own during day??

I went to West.Carib.last yr...and DID NOT feel safe on own in most ports,,and glad I took excursions,,so this is why I m asking ahead of time.

I understand there is a new cruise port with lots to see and do,,,but DO want to see island,,not just that...;)

The cruise port is a Margaritaville and lots of shops. I would feel safe as a single in a taxi with a group from my ship. We chose not to leave the ship in town so I do not know how far of walk it was. There just didn't appear to be much in town.

The second time we were there - about 2 years ago - we got off the ship and took a walk down the beach. Then got back on. We can't justify the prices at Margaritaville when the drinks on the ship are free, but, lots of people can and there is always a crowd.

and called them after 1 wk,,,also,,because 2 mistakes were made on my booked excursions.They said NO NEW ,,less physical excursions planned and to check onboard for private booking,,ie...guess NOT PAID,,right?

So will just go on own,,hope to find someone in taxi line to share and have a good time.Thanks for above info...;)

Archived