I'm trying not to panic!! It's not working!

dogchopper

As for hairdryers, do they have them on board?? They don't in the rooms...

All the ships I have been on have them. They are usually in the desk drawer. I assumed all of the ships did. Maybe you just didn't look in the right place?

And if all else failed use the old method- wear shorts under your jeans and 4 tops. Then when you board head to the restroom and undress. Have a nylon bag with you to stuff things into.

That's funny but not a bad idea!!!

I haven't tried packing yet, I still have to get me a smaller suitcase. The one I usually use is too big.

All the ships I have been on have them. They are usually in the desk drawer. I assumed all of the ships did. Maybe you just didn't look in the right place?

Fantasy class ships don't have them in the cabins......unless this has changed?

Humm, I may call carnival and ask them, I have only sailed on the smaller ships but I have always brought my own hairdryer so I never really looked??

Wow did they delete those posts:confused:

I dont see any nosy posts either .. very odd this person is reacting.

I asked which airline so people could say how much checked luggage was.

I had to dig into the OPs signature as now she is asking if her cabin will have hair dryers again, without telling us what ship and many of us have signatures blocked so pages load faster.

OP its true, Fantasy class ships should not have hair dryers, though some people have been able to get one to borrow by asking their cabin steward.

What nosy posts?? Im with you. Maybe they dissapeared but I thought I would have seen them.

Here's my thread with my plan for carry-on only: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1448393

Post #53 has my current packing plan. We're flying in the day before, so I plan to pick up my sunscreen & wine once I'm down there. We're doing it more for convenience & to keep from taking too much crap than for money, so I won't be heart-broken if I end up having to get my sunscreen on the ship.

In my signature is a packing video for a carry on, it's good stuff, I have tried it. I have checked a second bag (returning) twice and was not charged for it. Worth trying. Good luck.:)

Thanks for the fido link, that was cool!!!! I'm gonna send it to my sister

Rule of thumb when flying. Wear your heaviest clothing...the jeans, the sneakers, the socks. Roll all your other items. Wind dry your hair on deck, or use their blower(if you booked and got a blower) go light on make up, I mean you are with yours sister to have fun, be yourself. Deodarant,meds, brush and toothbrush, really that's all you need to pack. 5 pairs undies, two bras, one dress, three shirts that all go with one skirt, and one pair shorts,that go with the three shirts and two bathing suits. One fancy pair shoes, and your flip flops or light sandals. All of that will fit in a good back pack, and you can use that as your carry on. Travel light. Fly safely, and cruise happy.:D

Here's my thread with my plan for carry-on only: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1448393

Post #53 has my current packing plan. We're flying in the day before, so I plan to pick up my sunscreen & wine once I'm down there. We're doing it more for convenience & to keep from taking too much crap than for money, so I won't be heart-broken if I end up having to get my sunscreen on the ship.

I remember that thread, but of course I blew it off cuz it didn't relate to me then. Shame on me!!!

I wish we were coming in the day before, I looked into changing it bit ticket prices have gone up alot since we booked.

WOW... I'm just interjecting to say that I'm super impressed with some of you awesome packers and your tips!!!! I could never get away without checking a bag, rolling the cloths or not....

One thing that hasn't been addressed is souvenirs and taking them back home... OP... maybe pack some older cloths that you don't mind tossing at the end of your trip... you are probably going to have to limit yourself to purchasing small things.

BTW... I also don't see this "nosy" responses that that one poster was refering too...

Yeah I was worried about the return trip too. If it's tight on the way there it will be worse on the way back.

I just checked deltas website and it said 1 carry on and one personal bag (which included purses, laptops or camera bags) so, that blows the backpack idea cuz it's either that or a purse and I need a purse

[quote name='obx_fintoo']Great advice! Also, I am a fan of rolling my clothes. Lay out your shorts and tops flat on top of each other and roll them tight, then put in suitcase and do the same with all your other clothes. Jam them in and ditto on the check with your sister advice so you don't have two of everything. Pick one pair of shoes for evenings, one pair of sandals and wear your comfortable walking shoes. You'll be fine! Really![/quote]
we do this too, really gives a lot more room and they don't wrinkle so much!!!!
Just take one pair nice black pants and capris for the rest, you should be fine!!!! Why take jeans???? Wear a pair on the flight, also you can't take a bunch of liquids on carry on, so shampoo, conditioner, hair gel, hair spray, all that is going to be hard to carry, unless you do a stop on the way to the port to pick up that stuff and trash it when your done. Hope it works out good for you!!
We <3 Southwest cause we get two checked bags each, FREE!!! We made them our carrier of choice, we gotta fly to get anywhere, cause we live in the middle of cornfields:D
Happy Sailing!!! Carole

[quote name='dogchopper']Well rolling clothes is a great idea!! And I will see about a backpack! That might do the trick right there. Or a duffel bag, I think I will call and ask about that.

As for hairdryers, do they have them on board?? They don't in the rooms...[/QUOTE]

Evidently it depends on which class ship you are on for hairdryers in the cabins. Ecstasy & that class Carnival ship (Fantasy class?) does not have hair dryers, I learned here.

You've gotten some good advice here. I'd like to add one thing: large zip lock bags work as well as space bags and are a lot cheaper and don't require a vacuum cleaner to shrink them. Just pack it, zip almost closed and sit on the bag while you finish zipping it closed. You may have to look a little harder at more than one store, but they make a zip lock bag that will hold golf shirts folded like they are in the stores. That is a good size for women's tees and shorts as well. I like to put everything in zip lock bags because they are transparent and if the bag has to be opened, nothing falls on the floor and the TSA people don't actually touch my things (just the outside of the bags).

Relax and enjoy your packing!

P.S. I'll fly Southwest every chance I get!

[quote name='dogchopper']Yeah I was worried about the return trip too. If it's tight on the way there it will be worse on the way back.

I just checked deltas website and it said 1 carry on and one personal bag (which included purses, laptops or camera bags) so, that blows the backpack idea cuz it's either that or a purse and I need a purse[/QUOTE]

Bring a small purse and put it in the backpack. I always bring my big tote and put my purse in it. When I board, I'll take it out so I can get what I need.

Yep, wear the jeans, take along a nice big beach bag and put your purse in it along with shoes, book, etc. Then pack your small carry on, it will fit, really. You will be surprised at what you don't wear. Two swimsuits, one to dry one to wear. 3 or 4 travel sized sunscreen bottles should do and will pack in shoes, or just fit aroundin the small suitcase. Put each in its own zip lock bag. Or reserve the outside pocket of suitcase for a large zip lock bag with all your makeup/sunscreen/hair stuff.
For that short a cruise, you won't need much, no need to pay extra to get bag there. Hmmm to save space, some take there almost-ready-to-be-tossed undies and just toss'em as you go. One pair of dressy sandles, one pair of flipflops, and wear the sneakers. If its cool when you leave, layer 2 or 3 shirts, (think travel knits) and slip a sweater over. Then when you get into your cabin, take your layers off and hang them up. you might need the sweater on those cool nights, or in some lounges. No worries about returning, just jam them in, who cares about the wrinkles on the trip home.. lol Save the beach bag then, for carrying anything you buy, or pick up while cruising, and of course, at the beach.
I have a lovely large L.L.Bean zip top, long strap bag, with my name embroidered on it, I love it, just for events like this.
I'm going to be doing exactly this for my 6 day cruise in Feb. I don't have to fly however.. I'm 5 hours from my port.
Have fun, don't sweat the small stuff,,

If you think you need a ton of sunscreen, buy a couple of small bottles, and use one first, you can toss that too, before you come back. Such a short cruise, you won't need as much as you think.

p.s. I took my sister on a cruise last January, and it was so much fun. I really miss her, she lives about 1000 miles from me.. lol

[quote name='5waldos']Bring a small purse and put it in the backpack. I always bring my big tote and put my purse in it. When I board, I'll take it out so I can get what I need.[/quote]

[COLOR=SeaGreen][SIZE=4][B]Walmart sells a bag about the size of a gym bag that folds up (zips together) for about $10. I take one or two of those with me (in my checked bag) to use as a carry to the ship and on the return trip home. I flew Delta. [/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Archived