LAX connection time

whale-watcher

We will be returning from Australia on 11/26 (flying from SYD to LAX), and Delta has changed our flight times so that we now have only a 1 hour layover to clear customs and catch our flight to MSP. The next flight to MSP would require an additional 5 hour layover in LAX, and would delay our departure out of MSP as well

Is there a remote possibility of making our MSP bound flight with only a one hour layover in LAX? We will be flying business class, so should be among the first out of the aircraft.

Thanks in advance

Yes, it is possible. If wind gods love you, you could land an hour early. You could be the first international plane to land at the terminal in the past 45 minutes. Your luggage can be waiting for you as you exit passport control. I'd bet against it, though.

We will be returning from Australia on 11/26 (flying from SYD to LAX), and Delta has changed our flight times so that we now have only a 1 hour layover to clear customs and catch our flight to MSP. The next flight to MSP would require an additional 5 hour layover in LAX
The connection is illegal: minimum connecting time is 2:00. DL will change the onward connecting flight for you.

The next flight to MSP is DL1968 (1035-1611), and then the next is DL2168 (1225-1806) - so I'm not sure why you're being told that you'd have to wait a total of 6 hours for the next flight to MSP.

I would not do this one. One hour is just too short a time. I have seen others do this and literally seen them screaming at immigration personnel (wrong move) as they are waiting on very long lines. It is not worth the risk or the stress.

Ask for a longer layover.

Keith

Sounds like the computer made the change and didn't catch the "illegality" of the connection time. Call Delta. I agree that they should make the change to the later flight without charge. At LAX, you need to get off the plane, go through Immigration, go to the baggage claim area and get your bags (even if Immigration goes quickly, you can end up waiting for your bags, making being among the first to get off the plane immaterial-- we''ve run into that), go through Customs (usually just a matter of handing oer the form you filled out on the plane and which the Immigration agent will have initialed, but you could be asked to go through a secondary inspection), then handing over your checked bags at a transit desk (be sure any liquids, etc. you bought in duty free are put in your checked bags), then go through security and to the gate of your next flight. Could you make it? I wouldn't risk such a short connection time unless it was a domestic-to-domestic connection with bags transferred automatically (which is not your situation).

If you missed your connecting flight, Delta would normally put you on the next flight with available seats, but the catch is the very next flight may be filled by the date of the flight, so you may have to wait a while. If an overnight stay is required, they may well not provide a hotel if they determine that the missed connection wasn't their fault (some friends ran into this when they missed a connecting flight-- which was with a legal connection time-- due to delays in Immigration). Bottom line: call Delta and go with the later flight, even though it's less convenient for you at the MSP end. Ask Delta about any and all options, including other connections (as suggested above).

Thanks for the advice... I knew that this was probably impossible; Duluth MN (DLH) is our final destination, so MSP is the best routing option for us (can also route through DTW, but that means a lot more flying time and fewer options to get home if the flights into duluth are grounded, as is often the case in fall)

The Delta agent I spoke with only offered the DL2168 option, but I will call back and ask about DL1968 option. It does mean a later return home into Duluth, but I suppose we can always try to standby for the earlier flight into MSP if the wind and immigration gods are smiling and we get in early.

The Delta agent I spoke with only offered the DL2168 option, but I will call back and ask about DL1968 option. It does mean a later return home into Duluth, but I suppose we can always try to standby for the earlier flight into MSP if the wind and immigration gods are smiling and we get in early.
I had a quick look, now that we know your final destination.

It looks like both DL1968 and DL2168 will connect to the same flight from MSP to DLH. That will be why DL2168 can come up as the first option if you look for LAX-DLH - the algorithm prefers the shorter connection time at MSP and the shorter overall journey time.

Personally, I'd still see if I could get on DL1968, because the longer connection at MSP would mean that there's less scope for something to go wrong at the last minute causing you to misconnect at MSP.

I had a quick look, now that we know your final destination.

It looks like both DL1968 and DL2168 will connect to the same flight from MSP to DLH. That will be why DL2168 can come up as the first option if you look for LAX-DLH - the algorithm prefers the shorter connection time at MSP and the shorter overall journey time.

Personally, I'd still see if I could get on DL1968, because the longer connection at MSP would mean that there's less scope for something to go wrong at the last minute causing you to misconnect at MSP.

We are now confirmed on 1968... that will give me plenty of time to enjoy a bloody mary at Ike's in MSP

Thanks again for all the advice!

• 1 month later...

Well we ended up with the best of both worlds...the weather gods smiled on us, and we arrived into LAX 30 minutes ahead of schedule, allowing us to sneak on the earlier flight to MSP. It was nice not to have to worry about a tight connection however.

Next big Delta decision...just received offer from DL to purchase MQM's before the end of the year. Would it be better to purchase up to Platinum for next year (and likely then revert to silver the following year) or save my extra miles as rollover miles (then I would likely be gold for the next two years). I will post this question as a new thread as well.

Archived