Just found out that..

In Toronto

...you can check in and board the ship and then later that afternoon leave the ship, buy your wine at a local store, bring it on board checking it in, pay the $15.00 corkage, receive the sticker and enjoy your wine on the ship. I had thought that the wine had to go through with you when you first check in.

This works out so much better than juggling the wine as well as the luggage.

Has anyone done this?

...you can check in and board the ship and then later that afternoon leave the ship, buy your wine at a local store, bring it on board checking it in, pay the $15.00 corkage, receive the sticker and enjoy your wine on the ship. I had thought that the wine had to go through with you when you first check in.

Has anyone done this?

Haven't done it, but seems logical.

Has anyone done this?

Once I got on the ship, there would be NO leaving until we got to the first port of call:D (Fortunately I live close enough to the ports to drive, don't have worry with "Juggling)

Some of the ports have a handy shop right there after you drop off the luggage. We were able to pick up both wine, Coke and a forgotten tube of toothpaste before boarding. We did this in Barcelona. I'm pretty sure that New Orleans has a store right there too. I'm sure others have a similar set up.

Once I'm on board tho' I don't want to get back off!

Logical? 2 trips to the ship? 2 cab trips or parking? I don't see the point.

I agree but I carry very little on with me and once aboard just leave it at whatever restaurant they are storing carryons until our cabin is ready. But both ports I have been to is far away from anything and therefore as you said I would have to take a taxi back and forth twice. By the time I do that I might as well have bought it on the ship in the first place and probably saved money.

For those of you who would want to do this Seattle would be excellent for this as the pier has a convenience store right next to it. There are also other stores and even the Pike Place Market is within a reasonable walking distance.

At Southampton, there's a store selling some alcohol, right on the pathway between check-in and the ship.

So one could easily swipe-in on board, drop off luggage, then swipe-out again to go & buy 'supplies'.

So yes.... logical.

We did this in Barcelona for bottled water and Coke Zero (I'm a Diet Pepsi drinker, but they only had Coke products in the terminal). We got on, wandered around, noticed dozens of people bringing cases of water and pop on board and realized it would be a good idea for us to do so, too. There are a few stores in the cruise terminal so it was only about a ten minute trip to get it and get back on!

~ Tanya

Archived