nav of Sea

joschwin

I am new to RC and am considering a 6 night out of FL for early Dec. Are there many pay extra restaurants on the ship? Would the sushi be at an extra pay restaurant? Also are the gratuities added to your final bill? I am just trying to see exactly what my total costs will be.

Navigator has two pay restaurants, Chops & Portofino. Sushi can be found @ Jade which is at the beginning of the buffet in the Windjammer.

Tips are not added automatically but you will receive paperwork that authorizes them to do so. You can also contact your TA or RCCL if you booked direct & add the gratuities to your final payment.

Gratuities are not added automatically UNLESS you have My Time Dining. If you have MTD then they are added up front. Did you sign up for MTD or pick Early or Late Seating?

I think our tips ran around $86 and change or so per person. But please, I am operating from memory and that is an estimate. Prices had just increased before we cruised.

You will love the NOS. Wonderful ship!

If you wait to choose MTD, there may be no room avail....if you really want MTD, I'd go ahead and book it...yes, you'll have to go ahead and pay your tips when you book that option, but you'll be paying them one way or the other...now or later....for a 6 nighter, your tips (for 2 people) will run around $140 for the entire trip. That pays your room attendant, waiter, ass't waiter and head waiter.

If we were to choose a late dining option but decide on MTD once on board does it really matter. I am not sure I want to be held to an early or late dining option

Why's that, if you don't mind me asking? Just because you have an early or late dining seating in the MDR doesn't mean you even have to go to it if there's a show or event or program you want to go to instead - go to Windjammer or Cafe Promenade or order from room service instead. Be aware that shows will usually have two showings to accommodate people's dinner seatings. DW and I usually go for an early seating and go to the later show. Others do the opposite.

Also, there's another extra tariff restaurant than Portofino and Chop's - Johnny Rockets.

I am new to RC and am considering a 6 night out of FL for early Dec. Are there many pay extra restaurants on the ship? Would the sushi be at an extra pay restaurant? Also are the gratuities added to your final bill? I am just trying to see exactly what my total costs will be.

You will love NOS. We've been on it a couple times, ready to go again next month. We love having late dinning (we have the same table and servers that way). We aren't fans of the MTD, as we like the fact our servers get to know us, as we get to know them. As for tips, there is a recommonded sheet on the website for tipping. We always take our own envelopes with us (the ship has them as well). We like to give our tips to our staff personally and also write a little note in them. We always give at lest the recommended amount, however, with some of the staff, we usually end up giving a little more as they really give great service. As for the specialty rest., some are better than others, however if you go to Jonny Rockets, you have to pay for your drinks and stuff, there is an extra charge there. Also Portofino's and Chops are both very nice, extra charge for them. If you want to go, book ahead of time, that way you are certain to get in. The food is better in the specialty rest (my opinion), however, totally up to you. Hope this helps. Have a wonderful time.

You picked a great class of ship for your first RCI cruise. If you are looking at the Dec. 4th sailing there are some great rates (D1 as low as $539). Be sure to check all the rates that you may qualify for, resident, military and senior (over 55).

Once onboard you can check with the dining room to see if they can get you into MTD. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

We will be sailing on Navigator over New Year's Eve and we will be booking MTD. When we have done MTD previously and found an exceptionally good wait staff, we have been able to have them wait on us for the entire cruise so they got to know us as well as we had become accustomed to when we were in traditional dining. We also were able to change our dining times or eat at the same time depending on our preferences and rarely did we make advance reservations. If you wait until you board and are able to sign up for MTD at that time your tips will be added to your final bill. If you stay in traditional dining, they will need your specific authorization in order to add the tips to your onboard account.

Enjoy your six nights on Navigator. It is a great ship and we have totally enjoyed our previous cruises on her.:)

Archived