NCL Breakaway April 30, 2013

RMS Olympic

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to know how solo dining was handled on the Epics crossing. As I like to try the specialty restaurants, how are single passengers seated...alone or do they share a table which I would prefer. I usually dont have a problem meeting people, but when I sailed the Epic in the caribbean, I was seated alone and had my meal rushed. As I really enjoy long dinners with great conversation, wine and laughter....I do have a concern on sailing the Breakaways crossing if I would have to dine alone. Any thoughts?

I would like to know how solo dining was handled on the Epics crossing. As I like to try the specialty restaurants, how are single passengers seated...alone or do they share a table which I would prefer. I usually dont have a problem meeting people, but when I sailed the Epic in the caribbean, I was seated alone and had my meal rushed. As I really enjoy long dinners with great conversation, wine and laughter....I do have a concern on sailing the Breakaways crossing if I would have to dine alone. Any thoughts?

We weren't on the Epic's crossing so I can't speak to that sailing specifically. A friend of ours was solo on the Gem and said he went to the GL/FOD gathering and also some solo cruiser gatherings that were listed in the Freestyle Daily. He met a number of people with whom he dined during his cruise. On the Epic, my brother sailed in one of the studio cabins and they had meet and greets and planned group dinners (and they opened these up to solos not in the studios too). Plus - we're looking forward to meeting you and everyone else and grabbing some meals together. My guess is that all of these options plus a year and half of roll calls will provide you with a pretty full dance card!

By the way, what's the latest with the new Princess ship? Have they announced her launch or crossing date?

Thanks for the feedback.

As for the new Royal Princess, no news has been posted. Orininally I heard that the books would open in Feb of this year, yet there has been nothing mentioned at all on any aspect of the ship. Its strange that both ships will be in service in May of next year, one being sold and the other not even being mentioned.

I am hoping the Princess ship will sail late...in June so I can try to make her inaugural.....cant do both ships in May........my dog said I couldn't and she is the boss!

So for the present I will just wonder what the Breakaway will be like in her public spaces. I am hoping the decor will follow the "Solstice" trend of less splashy colors and a more refined style without being boring.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Gang!

So this is my next and ONLY confirmed cruise booked. I'm back from the 11 day Norwegian Dawn cruise and I'm excited to cruise again but this one is WAY too far off in the distance! :eek:

Glad there are way more people going on this cruise who are GLBT! It'll make the cruise livelier and hopefully the disco more fun. There was quite a large group of GLBT folks on my last sailing. I was actually astonished at how many of them there were. :)

RMS Olympic - I wouldn't worry about dining alone. If you tell them you want to share a table at the beginning, the hostess will seat you with someone who also wants to do the same. I heard plenty of people on the last cruise ask to share a table with other folks and the hostess happily arranged it. Not everyone coming in the door asks though so it does take a few minutes to get a whole table sat but it's fun to do. Also, since this ship will have the studios and more than likely a social hostess/host for that area, make sure you find out who it is on embarkation day and see what meals they have planned for what restaurants and sign up! That's another way to meet people.

~Jake

Hey Folks,

the NCL Breakaway LGBT FB group was set up by guys who sailed TA on the EPIC in October 2011.

The sailing was great fun and the FOD meetings well attended every night. Nicely located in the Martini Bar right in the centre of the ship, we met for pre-dinner-drinks every night. Different groups of people formed then for various dinner occasions and nobody had to dine solo.

As there is already a bunch of us booked on the Breakaway inaugural, the LGBT gatherings will be well attended. We will have a great time!

The FB group is not to be meant in concurrence to this roll call, it is rather complimenting.

Cheers

Sven

Hey Folks,

the NCL Breakaway LGBT FB group was set up by guys who sailed TA on the EPIC in October 2011.

The sailing was great fun and the FOD meetings well attended every night. Nicely located in the Martini Bar right in the centre of the ship, we met for pre-dinner-drinks every night. Different groups of people formed then for various dinner occasions and nobody had to dine solo.

As there is already a bunch of us booked on the Breakaway inaugural, the LGBT gatherings will be well attended. We will have a great time!

The FB group is not to be meant in concurrence to this roll call, it is rather complimenting.

Cheers

Sven

Thanks for the info. Just sent in the request to join the group. :)

Hey Folks,

Cheers

Sven

Thanks for the information on the FB group. I may check it out when I have more time! :)

Just got caught up reading the other roll call board.......very lively over there..pictures and everything. This voyage should be anything but boring.

Anyone going into London a day or two early? I hope to do at least one night so I can see the Eye.

This seems so far off.....but exciting just the same.

Tom

Just got caught up reading the other roll call board.......very lively over there..pictures and everything. This voyage should be anything but boring.

Anyone going into London a day or two early? I hope to do at least one night so I can see the Eye.

This seems so far off.....but exciting just the same.

Tom

I actually am going to a travel show next weekend and will be picking up tour operator brochures specifically for London and the rest of the UK. I may go over a week before or at least four days prior to experience London and the surrounding areas before the slow ride back. I am eagerly awaiting the "TO COME" areas being unveiled. The ship's keel is being laid in just two calendar flips! Can't wait to watch it come together (via webcams).

• 3 weeks later...

I just wish Costa would stop screwing up the cruise industry so bad so that NCL would feel more comfortable releasing details. It's hard to get a big fanfare about a new ship which is larger than the Concordia when Costa is constantly in the news!! I know the keel is going to be laid in April of this year but the date is being kept top secret and the details are as well.

I have some options for pre-cruise stuff in mind now that I went to the vacation expo. I just need more of a sure bet from Meyer Wreft and NCL that the ship will be delivered on-time. It's the first in a new build and is one year going to be enough time for it to roll out. I think I'm going to hold off on booking the other stuff until she's coming along...

I need to go back and see how much of the engine works were replaced when the Allegra was originally converted from a cargo ship to a cruiser....

Watch the Allegra be sold off...

Watch Carnival Corp separate from Costa..........

Watch MSC bookings grow.

Breakaway...cant see why the general deck plan layout cant be released and leave decor/ renderings go for a later date.

As for the builder Meyer Werft.....they are either on time or early....unlike Fincantierri......who has pushed the Princess build back a month as I expected.

I just hope this Breakaway is a big improvement over the Epic.......but it will be the crowd on board that will make this crossing fantastic.:D:D

Scott and I have booked an ocean view cabin on this cruise and look forward to meeting everyone else already going. The reason for booking the ocean view are several. We Have booked mini-suites on 3 out of 4 cruises with the only exception being the inaugural sailing of the Epic which was not offering that category on that cruise for some reason. That sailing was the end of June and we had high hopes of taking advantage of the balcony. Alas, even sailing in early summer, the temps averaged about mid 50's the entire trip so this voyage we are going to see if the "larger" ocean view cabin (sq. footage says it is bigger than a standard balcony room) is a good trade off for not being able to use the balcony for most of the sailing. The advertised picture of the room shows it has floor to ceiling windows, hope that is how it really is!

To answer an earlier question as to what hotel NCL uses per-cruise, we were offered the Holiday Inn in Kensington. I use to be a travel agent so I used that to my advantage and got us an awesome hotel closer to the heart of things in the Charing Cross area. It was our first visit to London and we tried to do as much as we could in 3 days prior but knew we'd be coming back so we didn't over do it. We did use NCL's bus service to Southhampton though, very easy.

The inaugural sailing of the Epic was interesting to say the least! Awesome ship, just needed to iron a few "first cruise" bugs out. We totally expected that and did not let it damper our trip in the slightest. We met many fascinating people from all over the globe and especially found the Ice Bar to be a great place to "mingle".

Looking forward to this cruise already!

Great to hear you are making this voyage. I too booked an outside cabin which overlooks the bow on deck 13.....cabin 13704.

I am curious as to this larger outside you have booked....I need to look at the deck plans again. What deck did you get your cabin on?

As for getting the bugs out of the ship....I expect them...that part of the fun of a maiden voyage....seeing the ship break in, before it develops its personality. Just imagine if we broke down in mid ocean...like the Costa Allegra! Wine having to be served at room temperature......how uncivilized:D:D:D

For the welcome! The ocean view room we booked is under the "family" size and unfortunately it's only offered on deck 5. You have to look at the "floor plan" and not the "picture" to get a better idea of its size. The picture is the same used for all the ocean view rooms for some reason. I'm sure as we get closer to sailing they will post better, more accurate photos.

As for room temperature wines, just don't serve me no f***ing Merlot! ( hope you got the movie reference there)

I just hope this Breakaway is a big improvement over the Epic.......but it will be the crowd on board that will make this crossing fantastic.:D:D

If Carnival were smart they'd sell off the Costa brand. It's going to bring down Carnival's bottom line something fierce. That's two Costa ships which are now out of comission!

As for the people who make the crossing fun, I do agree with that. The people do make the cruise. If everything holds to plan, I hope to have a dating game re-match with a person who I met on the Epic in 2011. LOL.. she was a riot. She didn't know I was one of the participants but heard my voice and said my name. LOL... what a fixed game that was. She's coming in a studio cabin on this voyage. She's awesome!

I have been poking around the other major roll call for this but haven't popped over there yet. I'm just waiting and seeing with NCL what new details will emerge before I jump into a formal introduction over there. Seems like quite the lively bunch!

Hi Chuck & Scott!

Welcome aboard! I am booked in a balcony cabin but have been wondering about the air temps myself. If mom doesn't sail then I'll be taking the studio cabin I also have booked. Yes I'm holding two rooms on this voyage! LOL Either way I'm still going and rumor has it NCL will start teasing some Breakaway stuff this coming Monday with a major announcement on the ship coming in the next few weeks. I know NCL will be up here in the Boston area for a sales meeting soon.

I just wish this cruise were UNDER a year away... wow... never had a cruise booked this far out before!

Hi all, I've just booked this cruise.

2nd time with NCL(Epic last year), 2nd crossing (but on a different ship).

Loved the Studios, only problem on Epic was that they had the solo travellers meet in the studio lounge at the same time as the FOD meet in Shakers. I opted the studio one first but then tried FOD 2nd night and they were all couples and seemed to have planned to do stuff the previous night!

The Trans-Atlantic was one non-stop party, lots of late nights/early mornings in the nightclub :) plus Westbound we will get 5 25hr days!

Hey Folks!

Quite the interesting unveiling for the Breakaway this week! I do hope we’ll be able to dine al-fresco when hard to sea. Hopefully next year’s winter is what this year’s has been like so we’ll have some good WARM weather for the crossing! I can’t wait for more renderings of the entertainment coming (hopefully) in late April (around keel laying time).

Glad we’ve got more movement over here. I’m 90% certain that I will be doing this voyage. I still have two rooms on hold, one a studio and the other a balcony. I’m re-thinking the balcony room though because of the weather. We’ll see! Once I get more certain then I’ll jump on the other forum and the FB page. Sounds like all the GLBT folks are a lively cheery bunch! Should make for fun nights in the disco!

What is everyone’s thoughts about the new 678 Boardwalk?

~J

Well I can see myself sat at the outdoor part of Maltings bar people watching :). They said they would have heaters like outside seating areas on land.

The inside looks identical to on Epic!

Book that Studio :) the more the merrier..

For those who haven't done Epic here is my little vid clip.. and yes the CD was doing the full-Monty in Bliss near the end!

Archived