NCL Breakaway April 30, 2013

RMS Olympic

Saw the pictures...I like that they took care of one of the comments/concerns about the Epic's not being able to see the ocean from most of the common areas, by focusing all of the common areas on the ocean...

Can't wait to sail on this ship!

Saw the pictures...I like that they took care of one of the comments/concerns about the Epic's not being able to see the ocean from most of the common areas, by focusing all of the common areas on the ocean...

I know!

Are you thinking of joining all of us on the transatlantic?

I agree, that was one of the few negatives I found about Epic with the enclosed promenade and high sided h2o there wasn't many spots to just stand at the rail and watch the sunsets..

Does this mean there is a separate prom/lifeboat deck below on deck 7?

NCL does listen to it's passengers... remember those teapot faucets which flooded the cabins? Within a few weeks they were changed out. Somethings can be fixed quickly and others take a whole new class of ship to fix but plenty of sea views will be had now! I just hope they don't over serve people too much out there and the number of idiots going over board increase! That'd really stink! :cool:

PS... Come on and join the Trans-Atlantic!

I am sooo happy that this ship will have a more open feel with sight lines to the outside and the sea. I thought the Epic was too closed in and almost cave like (except for the Manhattan dinningroom).

This promenade deck dinning and bar set up is interesting. Its like the outdoor shopping on Epic but taken to the next level. I dont see it working well while underway at sea if the ship is doing more than 10 knots. Wind could be a real problem undess they add lots of wind breaks. In Bermuda tied up at the ship yard will make this design work beautifully. But on our crossing if we are doing 16 to 20 knots......hang onto the umbrella in your drink baby.

So far I am happy with the improvements over Epic although the interior decore looks very similar.

But come the end of next month we can say next year......

Now to decide whether I want the cruise to be like:

An affair to remember

Now Voyager

Titanic

The Posidon Adventure

or....

The last Voyage.......with Dorothy Malone:D:D:D

Depending on the movie chosen...what part would you play?

Let the fun begin!!!!!:cool:

Tom

Tom,

I think it's worth noting that the outside waterfront dining is not actually the promenade deck. The ship still has a traditional promenade deck on deck 7 next to the lifeboats (which like Epic they will probably stick deck games/running track etc..).

The waterfront is only mid-ships to aft with cabins on deck 8 forward so a lot of the motion wind will get deflected by those cabins. The seated area looks only one table wide and then the walkway with a solid looking rail which would deflect side on winds.

I can see myself sat on one of those stools outside the Maltings bar watching the sea. Apparently they are also having heaters installed for the evenings/chilly days...

I agree about Epic, especially when smooth sailing you would forget you were on a ship when enclosed. Even when in fat cats, the first thing they did before Slim came on was shut the blinds.

Definitely looking forward to this ;)

All good points.

I still see the outdoor venues as maximized while in Bermuda......very smart design.

I need to keep intouch with the sea...so these outside spots are great for me.....a drink, some munchies and good conversation.

Some ship designs really make me wonder...especially the placement of diningrooms. If the main dining space is not used for breakfast nor lunch, the idea of windows at night seems ilogical. At night there isnt much to see and the reflection of lights makes it more of a mirrored look. I really liked the Epics Manhattans diningroom (could have used a better menue), so I am happy to see a similar space. Trying all the choices of dining will be a challenge on a 7 day crossing.....but there is always lunch. Hope there are a bunch of fun people who want to try all the food choices.......i'll diet in advance. Its the wine bill that could break the bank.

Thank heavens I have my big trip this year to hold me over...Peru here I come.

Tom

Hi Tom, Peru sounds great! Furthest I got was Colombia when I did central Americas like Belize, Honduras, Panama etc.. Wish after Colombia I'd ventured further into South America.

I've got a cpl of days post this cruise to explore NY so if any of you have recommendations or experience on friendly hotels/areas which are also easy reach of the tourist bits in Midtown Manhatten would be appreciated!

My last Trans-Atlantic I did force myself into the gym most days for 0.5hr just to take a few calories off ;-) ...

I do not have first hand knowledge of good hotels in New York city, but two great guys I know from RSVP cruises live there. I will ask them for recommendations and further info to fill up your short stay.

E-mail me your address so I can cc you on the message to Peter and Richard.

My e-mail: schaefth@gmail.com

I do not have first hand knowledge of good hotels in New York city, but two great guys I know from RSVP cruises live there. I will ask them for recommendations and further info to fill up your short stay.

E-mail me your address so I can cc you on the message to Peter and Richard.

My e-mail: schaefth@gmail.com

Thanks I've sent you an email ;)

I wonder if those heaters on the Waterfront will be strong enough to keep you warm during the late April North Atlantic crossing? With these new innovations and the idea of al-fresco dining I would really be interested in going to Bermuda on the ship even though I've been there a ton of times before!

I can't wait for the announcement for the entertainment and just how they're going to do it on the Breakaway. Will a huge show lounge return or will it be FreeStyle entertainment options too?

I wonder if those heaters on the Waterfront will be strong enough to keep you warm during the late April North Atlantic crossing? With these new innovations and the idea of al-fresco dining I would really be interested in going to Bermuda on the ship even though I've been there a ton of times before!

I can't wait for the announcement for the entertainment and just how they're going to do it on the Breakaway. Will a huge show lounge return or will it be FreeStyle entertainment options too?

The show lounge appears on the deck plan as a two tier height. Don't forget the crossing is really early May rather than late April :D. Sounds warmer already!

• 3 weeks later...
The show lounge appears on the deck plan as a two tier height. Don't forget the crossing is really early May rather than late April :D. Sounds warmer already!

It definitely does sound warmer! I hope for this year’s weather though! I was at the beach in Ogqunquit, Maine on Monday and it was beautiful up there. I had to remind myself it was only mid-April!

As for the show lounges and update deck plans, it seems the FreeStyle entertainment concept is going to be alive and well on the Breakaway too. It’s exciting to see the Reflection moved back so the Breakaway’s keel can be laid tomorrow! :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Welcome Lee & Drew! :)

The NORWEGIAN BREAKAWAY is still in her building block stage over in Germany. I check on her every week when the image is updated. I'm going to be very amazed if this ship can be delivered on-time given they've had just over 11 months to assemble it and retrofit it. I look forward to being one of the first to experience it. While we're on the second revenue producing cruise (thought it was the first until I learned of a one nighter from Rotterdam to Southampton, UK), we're going to be one of the first to actually get a good long voyage out of her!! Maiden voyage is in May to Bermuda. Lots of confusion about which voyage is which!! :cool:

Either way, it's going to be a fun 7 days at sea. With a pre-cruise tour in the UK, I'll be wanting to be onboard a great Norwegian ship to rest!!

~Jake

Although I did not watch much of the diamond jubilee for the Queen, I did take notice of the weather. Seems it was quite rainy and the temp was in the 50's. Considering it was approximately a month past our scheduled sail date, I am going to assume the weather will be very cool when we cast off. That means bringing a coat to walk around London and see the Eye during my precruise (one night) stay in london. Now to figure if short sleeve shirts will be adequate on the cruise......

Thank heavens the bars have those little umbrellas for drinks......if its very rainy on the day of boarding the umbrellas will prevent our beverages from getting diluted:D:D:D

Although I did not watch much of the diamond jubilee for the Queen, I did take notice of the weather. Seems it was quite rainy and the temp was in the 50's. Considering it was approximately a month past our scheduled sail date, I am going to assume the weather will be very cool when we cast off. That means bringing a coat to walk around London and see the Eye during my precruise (one night) stay in london. Now to figure if short sleeve shirts will be adequate on the cruise......

Thank heavens the bars have those little umbrellas for drinks......if its very rainy on the day of boarding the umbrellas will prevent our beverages from getting diluted.

LOL at the umbrella comment!! Hopefully the ship will be provisioned with them before embarkation!! :) We don't want any soggy cast off drinks!

The weather for the Diamond Jubilee didn't look so good either as my mom had pointed out. I just hope we hit some sort of fluke like this year's mild Spring in New England. I definitely want to do those water slides, even if it means I run up the stairs three times to do them and then run back to my room so I don't get hypothermia. :eek::D

Just another two months and we'll have our better view of the Breakaway... until then I stare at the blocks!! Happy Pride month to you! Just finished up Boston pride festivities last night... what a good year for pride and the weather was spectacular (most of the events are outdoors rain or shine)!!!

Thank heavens the bars have those little umbrellas for drinks......if its very rainy on the day of boarding the umbrellas will prevent our beverages from getting diluted:D:D:D

This year has been unusually wet, we had above average winter and drought and now rain, rain, rain..

I'll only be packing short-sleeve shirts but then even if it's raining at cast off after a few vodkas you won't realise ;).

I did an Indy of Seas cruise in Dec from Soton, the muster drill was outside on boat deck, temp -2C so 20s F. Guess who was in shirt sleeves whilst others had gone to their cabins and got coats!

:)

• 2 weeks later...

What does everyone think of the lead entertainment on the NORWEGIAN BREAKAWAY?

We have the lead entertainment being ROCK OF AGES with the alternate entertainment being BURN THE FLOOR! I’m excited for Burn the Floor myself! Plus, they’re doing dance lessons as well as performing in the Manhattan Room during the off nights in the theater.

Rock of Ages sounds good. Think I'll give the dance one a miss. I'm just glad they have howl at the Moon, loved this on Epic. :D

I guess it just depends on your take of 80s music. I’ve talked with some folks who saw the bank sponsored Broadway series in Lowell which this year featured both of these productions. BURN THE FLOOR got rave reviews by all but only one of them like ROCK OF AGES. They are season ticket holders so they go to all of them, irregardless if they have interest or not. IN THE HEIGHTS was the only one I made it to this year but anyway, there’s 7 days to catch all the entertainment and maybe this time I’ll actually catch HOWL AT THE MOON. I missed that on EPIC and failed to make it into Fat Cats lounge once. I also skipped Second City on the EPIC and probably will as well on Breakaway. I can’t wait for the dance lessons! :D Ballroom anyone?? :D

Archived