Guest Speaker Topics - Caribbean Basin / Panama Canal

marypat01

What do YOU want to know about the Caribbean?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What do YOU want to know about the Caribbean?

• Topics like the Bermuda Triangle or Atlantis
    • Topics covering ancient history, Archaeology (preColumbus)
    • Topics covering modern history (20th and 21st century)
    • Topics on how the European discovery of the Americas change the Caribbean
    • Topics on how the European discovery of the Americas changed Europe
    • Topics covering the discovery of the Americas from the Pacific
    • Topics on who first discovered the Americas
    • Topics covering the plants and animals of the Caribbean
    • Geographically speaking - why are some of the islands volcanic and others are not
    • Ancient civilizations of the Caribbean basin (Aztecs, Mays, Taino, Olmecs, etc)

Alright - You are out on your well deserved and longed for cruise into the Caribbean and/or Panama Canal. You know the Cruise Director will have members of the staff talking about the best excursions to take, the best places to buy jewelry, electronics and what-not. Perhaps there will be arts and crafts, a computer course, origami, or a photography or ceramics class. What if there are guest speakers, there as part of the Princess SCHOLARSHIP@SEA Program - what topics do YOU would you attend?

This thread is for YOU! As a poll you can vote on one or more items. If you want to leave additional details, you can do that to. Go ahead - this is to help provide for your cruising pleasure!

Alright - You are out on your well deserved and longed for cruise into the Caribbean and/or Panama Canal. You know the Cruise Director will have members of the staff talking about the best excursions to take, the best places to buy jewelry, electronics and what-not. Perhaps there will be arts and crafts, a computer course, origami, or a photography or ceramics class. What if there are guest speakers, there as part of the Princess SCHOLARSHIP@SEA Program - what topics do YOU would you attend?

This thread is for YOU! As a poll you can vote on one or more items. If you want to leave additional details, you can do that to. Go ahead - this is to help provide for your cruising pleasure!

Reply to the thread if you would like to see something not covered in the poll!

Patrick

I'm certainly qualified to lecture on topics 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, and 10 . . . I could even do pirates, too. Real ones, not Johnny Depp ones. So, people, vote early and often and then maybe I'll send Princess my c.v. along with the poll results.

I'm certainly qualified to lecture on topics 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, and 10 . . . I could even do pirates, too. Real ones, not Johnny Depp ones. So, people, vote early and often and then maybe I'll send Princess my c.v. along with the poll results.

I'm a head of you there, rdsqrl, I am already a speaker with Princess. I put up this poll to ensure my topics align with cruisers' desires :)

However, feel free to use the poll results (as long as you don't try to take credit for the poll) - there are more cruises available than I can handle. Princess (who is already scheduling into 2013) and Royal Caribbean allow you to apply directly. Others like Celebrity, Cunard, P&O, Crystal require agents.

Pat

So you would have us believe that Johnny Depp is not a real pirate??

Heresy.

We've had some wonderful speakers on our last couple of cruises that had NOTHING to do with the area we were sailing in. (Ex: a gentleman from NASA, an astronomer) I think sometimes (especially in the Caribbean!) that can be the most interesting!

I agree that travel is about education and discovery, and we found that on our first two Princess cruises, South America and the Pacific rim. I enjoyed the naturalist in Alaske. But I was very disappointed that my 7 day Emerald cruise to the Caribbean had no enrichment lecturers at all, not even a port speaker. And we had two sea days. On my upcoming Caribbean Princess cruise, the schedule email lists a 'port lecturer'. I hope this means more than tours and shopping, as we have five sea days out of ten. EM

I agree that travel is about education and discovery, and we found that on our first two Princess cruises, South America and the Pacific rim. I enjoyed the naturalist in Alaske. But I was very disappointed that my 7 day Emerald cruise to the Caribbean had no enrichment lecturers at all, not even a port speaker. And we had two sea days. On my upcoming Caribbean Princess cruise, the schedule email lists a 'port lecturer'. I hope this means more than tours and shopping, as we have five sea days out of ten. EM

To the best of my knowledge, current policy is Princess does not have guest speakers, such as myself, on 7 night Caribbean cruises unless there are 3 sea days. I believe the only one with 3 sea days is the 7 night, Southern Caribbean with stops in Aruba and Curacao. In fact, I am scheduled to be on the last two Southern Caribbean cruises (17-24 Dec and 24-31 Dec 2011) on the Grand Princess.

10 night cruises in the Caribbean have to have 4 sea days and I think the 10 night Panama Canal cruise is it. This is all subject to change and so far affects only the Caribbean cruises. I am scheduled for the Coral Princess, 11 NOV 2012.

Passengers should always bring their interests to the cruise lines' attention.

Pat

To the best of my knowledge, current policy is Princess does not have guest speakers, such as myself, on 7 night Caribbean cruises unless there are 3 sea days. I believe the only one with 3 sea days is the 7 night, Southern Caribbean with stops in Aruba and Curacao. In fact, I am scheduled to be on the last two Southern Caribbean cruises (17-24 Dec and 24-31 Dec 2011) on the Grand Princess.

10 night cruises in the Caribbean have to have 4 sea days and I think the 10 night Panama Canal cruise is it. This is all subject to change and so far affects only the Caribbean cruises. I am scheduled for the Coral Princess, 11 NOV 2012.

Passengers should always bring their interests to the cruise lines' attention.

Pat

I'm not sure this is accurate. We are currently scheduled on a 10 day Caribbean this winter and our port lecturer (not exactly port -it's opera) is part of our Roll Call. So unless they count Princess Cays as a sea day the 3 sea day rule also extends to 10 day cruises. (I am very grateful for this - I enjoy the lectures and those shopping things they call lectures are awful!!!!)

I'm not sure this is accurate. We are currently scheduled on a 10 day Caribbean this winter and our port lecturer (not exactly port -it's opera) is part of our Roll Call. So unless they count Princess Cays as a sea day the 3 sea day rule also extends to 10 day cruises. (I am very grateful for this - I enjoy the lectures and those shopping things they call lectures are awful!!!!)

Well, they can always make exceptions - which cruise is this?

Archived