How Do You Mark Your Luggage???

F22Smitty

Everyone in our party has a bright green shower pouf attached to the handle. It does not flop over like a ribbon. We spot our luggage in a sea of bags with no problem.

While many other ideas are effective, they often help you find your bag when you are close by. These shower poufs stand out at a great distance.

Great thread.

Kathy

Be careful with the size of your poofs. Leaving Anchorage on Alaska Airlines the whole conveyor belt luggage system shut down because something got stuck somewhere.

In the middle of everybody getting mad and waiting an airline attendant declared that she had to leave. Must have been 100 people in her line and every other line. Security was there to make sure she didn't get hurt by the mob. Her boss convinced her to stay at her post.

I have the easy solution to finding luggage at the airport or port.....Buy luggage that is a bright color or very unique. You'll spot it the second it comes out of the luggage belt or when you see the luggage waiting area!!!

I originally had peacock blue luggage, but thanks to the airlines and port handlers, they destroyed it under three years....yep, three years...I bought Heys fashion spinner Parrot--it looks like a snapshot of a red-blue-gold macaws wing feathers.....I didn't even have to know what carousel the luggage was going to come off of I spotted it right away......

For the luggage we use for air travel or cruises I cut out a stencil with my initials with the initials being 2 inches high. Then sprayed light tack adhesive on it and stenciled the top, upper back, at the side handle and on the front zipper pocket using white acrylic paint. Hubby thought it might have been a little overkill, but after one trip to the caverns after a cruise, he said it was the easiest he had ever located our luggage. So far, so good.

I'm looking for something that you can spot easily and that tells other folks "THAT'S NOT MINE".

DW hand paints our luggage with flowers or parrots. These are usually 5 or 6" across so they really can't be missed.

However on more than one occasion I have seen someone pick up one of the pieces and look at the tag to see if it is theirs. I guess they think that the baggage handlers have time to decorate some of the luggage before they toss it on the carousel:rolleyes:

Charlie

We had to buy a couple new pieces of luggage and am wondering what is the best way to mark for easy identification and so others won't walk away with your luggage?

We have been pretty lucky so far (I probably just zapped myself) but I'm looking for something that you can spot easily and that tells other folks "THAT'S NOT MINE".

Last cruise out of FLL someone took my son's GF bag and left one that looked just like it. Thank god for cell phones and a cell # on the zone tag. These folks were 20 miles up I-95 on there way to North Florida. We called, they pulled over confirmed the mistake and returned to port for the swap.

We have used bright colored name tags, bright colored Tye-wraps, ribbons, and tape.

I was thinking of bright colored fabric spray paint. Any ideas? Thanks

First of all, I don't buy black suitcases any more. Mine are silver hard-sided ones with four wheels on the bottom.

Even though they are fairly easy to find, I made myself some unique additional labels on colored paper and then laminated them:

"GO AHEAD, DO MY LAUNDRY"

"PUT IT BACK, IT'S MINE!"

"DON'T MAKE ME CHASE YOU!"

Our usual checked bags are hard side giraffe patterned cases and a bright red hard side case. I always include a half of a baggage check inside the case and at least one, usually two large ID tags. Our bags are not easily confused.

Doc:D

I always have neon green or orange shoelaces on the handle that will be sticking up when it's on the wheels. I bought them in the kids' shoe section at Walmart. Now they just sell the skinny ones but they used to sell really wide ones.

I fold them double and slide them through the loop and tie a double knot and then one for luck.

Last time I went to the Med cruise I put an X on my checked bag with bright electric pink duck tape.

One year I used Bright Green ribbon that would normally be used for gift wrapping and boxes, when I went to the Luggage area... Every One was using the freakin ribbons. Now I just use large decals with anything from Bugs Bunny or Daffy Duck... These are bright on colors and stand out.

tweety_0912.gif

I went with bright electric green and orange luggage when I needed to replace our plain old black and red bags. Can't miss the things! I can see them as soon as they pop out on the carousel, no problems at cruise debarkation, and I can usually even spot them on the baggage cart driving out to load the plane! They were the Wenger Swiss Army brand and they've also held up really well. Quite a few flights, cruises, land trips, and a trip to Hawaii and they have a few dirt scuffs but that's about it.

I print a custom tag about 5 inch x 3 inches with our iterary, emergency numbers, buisness address at home, and hotel address and phone where we are staying. then add lots of logos and photos of the local, ships or excursions. these are then laminated and zip tied to every thing from camera bags to suitcases. after the trip we save one for each child's scrap book so they can remember the trip.

I went to a fabric store and bought a bright green (florescent) boa. I then made a pom pom out of it and attached it to the handle with elastic. I have kept this attached for 3 years and have yet to lose it. I can spot my bag a mile away!!

I bought some bright yarn at walmart, wrapped it around a piece of cardboard and pulled it off and made a pom-pom with it..Tie it in the middle with nylon string and clip the ends and tie to your luggage handle...Only problem I have had is some dummy told the porter her bag was the one with the yellow pom-pom and he took my red bag and left her blue one..She did not realize she had ours till she got to the airport in Mobile...Dennis

Don't mean to be a downer here, but, after more than 30 years in the commercial aviation industry, my advice is to make sure any name/address info is NOT immediately available for everyone to see. It's too easy to take a quick cell phone pic of info which may be used by the "bad guys" to visit while you're gone. :o Silver

That's why on mine I use my PO Box, not the home address. I also have my cell phone number, not the home number. No link to house address or phone number.

We had to buy a couple new pieces of luggage and am wondering what is the best way to mark for easy identification and so others won't walk away with your luggage?

We have been pretty lucky so far (I probably just zapped myself) but I'm looking for something that you can spot easily and that tells other folks "THAT'S NOT MINE".

Last cruise out of FLL someone took my son's GF bag and left one that looked just like it. Thank god for cell phones and a cell # on the zone tag. These folks were 20 miles up I-95 on there way to North Florida. We called, they pulled over confirmed the mistake and returned to port for the swap.

We have used bright colored name tags, bright colored Tye-wraps, ribbons, and tape.

I was thinking of bright colored fabric spray paint. Any ideas? Thanks

It seems everybody is going to decorate their luggage. If you really want it to stick out, I guess the key is not to decorate it. You might be able to spot the palin baggage hidden in all the multi-colored ribbons, tape, luggage tags, etc.:D

I have the easy solution to finding luggage at the airport or port.....Buy luggage that is a bright color or very unique. You'll spot it the second it comes out of the luggage belt or when you see the luggage waiting area!!!

I originally had peacock blue luggage, but thanks to the airlines and port handlers, they destroyed it under three years....yep, three years...I bought Heys fashion spinner Parrot--it looks like a snapshot of a red-blue-gold macaws wing feathers.....I didn't even have to know what carousel the luggage was going to come off of I spotted it right away......

I almost bought that exact same luggage! Instead, I went for the Heys bright pink spinner and my daughter has Heys Go Diego Go spinner luggage. It's pretty easy to spot:D

As for identity on them, I use my work address.

Archived