Just OFF the PEARL- ASK

wack001

BTW - if you are a big fan of Prime Rib, don't waste your time ordering it at Cagney's !!

I have ordered it THREE times at Cagney's (Sky, Epic, and now Pearl). NONE of them were good.

Sky: It was brought to the table broiled/grilled. It was a STEAK, but I was told "no, this is Prime Rib"... :rolleyes:

Epic: At least this time is was cut from a roast, though it was uncharacteristically tough (I order them Rare to M-Rare).

Pearl: It looked GREAT. A nice large cut, with just enough FAT for flavor! It was also tender (two +'s thus far). The downside was that it had some type of "off" odor. I could not really pin it down, but something was odoriferous in Denmark. After the first bite I noted a somewhat fishy taste. It may have been something in the seasoning, as it was not as obvious when I was eating bites from the inside portion. Each time I tried an outer bite (usually my favorite thanks to fat/seasoning), it was still evident. Cheryl's Ribeye, which she ordered M-Well came FULLY M-Rare -- bright red middle. One of my first jobs was a broiler chef, and after cooking tens of thousands of steaks, I have a pretty good feel for what is "correct". Nobody came by after we received our meals to ask if everything was "OK". Each of us ate perhaps 20% of our entree.

Additionally, it would be nice if they learned what REAL horseradish was!!

I had already made reservations for 5 specialty restaurants for our return to the Epic next month. At this point, I am going to cancel our Cagney's reservation, in favor of something else. We had a very good meal at Le Bistro on the Pearl, and will probably opt for that on the Epic in place of Cagney's.

I will add that the Steakhouses on Carnival ships are, all in all, our favorite specialty venue -- and that includes NCL as well as Celebrity offerings. There you get PRIME aged steaks. Granted, they don't offer prime rib... but on our last Carnival sailing we dined there every night, and they were kind enough to bring up GREAT cuts of prime rib for me to enjoy there on the two nights they had it in the MDR. I suspect that they have NEVER had that request! I did learn, even with Carnival, that it we want strong horseradish that we need to bring our own. It is on our packing list, and I have brought it along on our last ~10 Carnival cruises! :D

1142528018_TaWi7-L.jpg

Tom

La Bistro is head and shoulders above the rest, just my .2censt and after 10 NCL cruises. The others are OK, Cagney has always served me top flight steaks, the others it is downhill, the tex mex and Italian are just like MDR.

http://www.cruisinbob.com

La Bistro is head and shoulders above the rest, just my .2censt and after 10 NCL cruises. The others are OK, Cagney has always served me top flight steaks, the others it is downhill, the tex mex and Italian are just like MDR.

We enjoyed Le Bistro before on the Epic - and will now again! We opted for it on the Pearl as I had not tried the Mushroom soup, and we wanted to share the chocolate fondue. I thought the chocolate they used in the fondue was better than what's used at The Melting Pot -- though it would have been fun to have some marshmallows and Rice Krispie Treats in addition to the fruit (as they do at The Melting Pot)!

One of the surprise meals on the Epic, and one we are looking forward to a repeat of, was Shanghai's -- the reviews were just so-so, but our experience and the food was GREAT!!!

Tom

We just got off the 2 day and had a great experience. The staff seemed very happy following the 14 day repo cruise. Only ate breakfast and lunch in the main D/R and thought it was pretty good.

Went to the Tex Mex place on the first night and it was really pretty good. So much food. We had the Il POPO and it was ok but the waiter brought us some of their lobster tacos and they were fantastic. Drinks were definitely flowing frmo the staff. They had some complimentary tequila drink and it was good. They werent shy giving them out with us. needless to say- they got a nice tip.

Second night we went to Le Bistro. I had the tenderloin and wife had the Lobster in a puff pastry. Both meals were great and the staff was tremendous. Highly recommend these dishes. The cruise was too short but I bought one of their future cruise certificates so we can cruise on Epic next time.

Thanks.

We just got off the 2 day and had a great experience. The staff seemed very happy following the 14 day repo cruise. Only ate breakfast and lunch in the main D/R and thought it was pretty good.

Went to the Tex Mex place on the first night and it was really pretty good. So much food. We had the Il POPO and it was ok but the waiter brought us some of their lobster tacos and they were fantastic. Drinks were definitely flowing frmo the staff. They had some complimentary tequila drink and it was good. They werent shy giving them out with us. needless to say- they got a nice tip.

Second night we went to Le Bistro. I had the tenderloin and wife had the Lobster in a puff pastry. Both meals were great and the staff was tremendous. Highly recommend these dishes. The cruise was too short but I bought one of their future cruise certificates so we can cruise on Epic next time.

Thanks.

I started with 3 Day cruises and I just finished the 14 N PC and still not enough.

Planning my next one, but Planning is key.

We enjoyed Le Bistro before on the Epic - and will now again! We opted for it on the Pearl as I had not tried the Mushroom soup, and we wanted to share the chocolate fondue. I thought the chocolate they used in the fondue was better than what's used at The Melting Pot -- though it would have been fun to have some marshmallows and Rice Krispie Treats in addition to the fruit (as they do at The Melting Pot)!

One of the surprise meals on the Epic, and one we are looking forward to a repeat of, was Shanghai's -- the reviews were just so-so, but our experience and the food was GREAT!!!

Tom

We don't bother with Cagney's either. The steak in LeBistro is always better.

Finished a 14 day panama canal crossing on the PEARL, ask your questions about the ship?

GREAT staff perhaps the best of any cruise I have taken.

What are the exercise facilities like if you used them. Does the locker room have a sauna or steam room?

i am going back on the norwegian pearl next year september 28th 2012 i cant wait but first i am going on the sapphire princess to hawaii and i cant wait for this crusie because she is going into dry dock i have never been on the sapphire princes yeat but cant wait to see it fixed up going to hawaii march 10th 2012

i am going back on the norwegian pearl next year september 28th 2012 i cant wait but first i am going on the sapphire princess to hawaii and i cant wait for this crusie because she is going into dry dock i have never been on the sapphire princes yeat but cant wait to see it fixed up going to hawaii march 10th 2012

Been on the SP, very nice and it was my only princess cruise very nice just different from NCL.

Been on the SP, very nice and it was my only princess cruise very nice just different from NCL.

my first princess ship was the golden princess they are a nice cruise line for a treat but expensive i like ncl so thats why i have only done once princess cruise and now going on my secound

my first princess ship was the golden princess they are a nice cruise line for a treat but expensive i like ncl so thats why i have only done once princess cruise and now going on my secound

Just finished my 9th on NCL and 24th overall.

Archived