Can't decide which tour to take....help!

cruisemama5

My husband and I are going on the Zuiderdam on Dec. 5th, partial transit cruise. We are looking at the tours for the Panama Canal. We can't decide between the Embera Village tour and the Canal Experience to Colon tour. We are looking for what others thought of these two excursions, especially if anyone has done both.

Thanks

Last year we did the partial transit through the Panama Canal on the Island Princess. We chose the excursion which is similar to your "Canal Experience to Colon". It was an absolute highlight of our entire cruise.

We took this cruise because we had an interest in the Canal more than an interest in visiting Panama. But this tour gave us some of both. The bus trip to the ferry from the Gatun Lake and the return bus trip from the Pacific Ocean gave us a chance to see a nice portion of Panama. The ferry trip was fabulous because we got a chance to see the canal up close (and even touch the sides of the canal). This is certainly a different perspective than seeing the Canal from a large cruise ship. The ferry trip included excellent commentary so we learned a lot about both the Canal and Panama.

If you think that you will have seen enough of the Canal by the time you get to Gatun Lake, then the Embera Village may appeal more to you. But if you want to see the best part of the Canal (and want bragging rights of having made the transit), then I recommend the ferry trip.

I am always a wee bit uncomfortable advising people on how they should spend their money, mainly because I know where my interests lie. In this instance there is a bit of difference in the tours, not the usual choices of say sightseeing or going to the beach. GradUT did a good job laying out the points for seeing the Canal as opposed to going to the Embera village and that is my opinion as well. I guess I am more of a Canal fan!

Here are my main reasons for why I would take the Canal Experience to Colon tour. I spent many years in Panama and have been all over the upper reaches of the Chagres River and came in contact with Embera and other people living in the rather remote areas. In short I have seen the real thing. Having worked on the Canal during this time I really enjoy going back and seeing those familiar things, but also all the improvements that are underway for the Canal Expansion. So it is pretty easy to see where I'm coming from and why I would like certain areas over another.

It's a hard decision trying to make the best use of your time to "see it all." You just may have to schedule a return visit;). If I can answer anything else... don't hesitate!

Thanks for your input. We are still discussing it. But I think we are leaning towards the ferry for two reasons....

1) Going through the locks is something I have wanted to do for a while now. Wanted to do the full transit cruise, but because of time off work and the amount for flights from two different airports, this partial cruise works better for us now. Maybe after retirement we will do the other one.

2) In Port Limon, we are thinking of doing the Tortuguero Canals and are thinking that it would be similar to the Indian Village tour as far as the boat ride through a rainforest and possibly seeing some local people.

Maybe someone who has done this tour in Port Limon could tell about it.

I think you will be happy in taking the partial transit by ferry. That excursion will take you through the more scenic parts of the Canal, sailing under two impressive bridges and the passage through Gaillard Cut where the bulk of the excavation took place during the construction. Being able to compare the operations at the locks from your ship in the morning and then see how it looks from the smaller vessel is a great way to get another perspective. When you decide to return for your full transit, there will still be plenty to see, the crossing of Gatun Lake is scenic as well. That area of the Canal is pretty much today as it was when the Canal opened, very undeveloped.

The scenery in Costa Rica will be similar except for much taller mountains in the background, the Tortuguero Canals are probably more similar to the area of the Chagres River that you would travel on the way to see the Emberas. The people that you will likely encounter will probably be more like the general population of Panama, by that I mean they probably won't be indigenous people like the Embera. The Embera like the other indigenous people of Panama (Kuna, Ngobe Bugle) have pretty much stayed to themselves and not mixed with the general population. Have a great trip!

A question for BillB48. Do you know if on the ferry/canal tour, if you get to see much of Panama City, particularly the skyline. Also, does the bus ride on the way back stop anywhere or is it just a ride back to the cruise ship? My husband is also wondering what the scenery is like on that ride.

Thank you for your helpful information!:)

You should be able to see some of the skyline of Panama City, you will be fairly close but not really down in the city. The main "problem" (I use the term loosely) is the tour may run in the opposite direction as described and there is a leeway on how far from the the Bridge of the Americas they will go. It really is a "depends" on which direction the tour is operated and this really is all dictated on the traffic demands in the Canal that day. You will see the important things in any event.

Basically it is a ride to the ferry and a ride back to the cruise ship. The ride to the Pacific side is on a new interstate type toll road which is a huge improvement over the old road, it's really not a long ride.. about an hour, (no stops). The down side is while for the most part is not overly developed but the vegetation is a lot of second growth. Not ugly by any means but not anything exotic tropical either. The best part of the trip will be through the old Forest Preserve, now called the Parque Soberana. This area contains old growth forest and will give you and excellent picture of the rain forest. There is a section of the highway in the Parque Soberana that crosses the old Las Cruces Trail.... hopefully our guide will point that out.

You do pass through some urban areas on your way to the Pacific side which may or may not be memorable:o, but for the most part it is on the rural side. You will be able to see some of the construction for the new locks in the area where tender off the ship in Gatun Lake. The footprint for the construction of the new locks on the Pacific side is much larger and you will get a good look at that from the ferry.

If you think of anything else... feel free.

Bill gives a good description of what to expect to see on the bus ride. I will say, however, that on the trip back to the cruise ship, we slept most of the way. The heat and humidity from the ferry ride (we went in April) sapped a lot of our energy and once we got on the air conditioned bus with its comfy seats, we were goners. So, you might not actually see much on the way back to the ship.

• 1 month later...

While the most "authentic" village is probably the one that Anne Gordon (as she is married to an Embera) takes her clients to, my understanding there are other villages that are used. Everything I've heard is that while they might be a demonstration village, they are representative and not something on the hokey side. Depending on your cruise, for example if you are on a partial transit cruise you would have to book your tours at the Canal through HAL. So you choice may have not only been the easier option, but your only option. I'm sure you will enjoy:)!

Back home after 3 months on PACIFIC PRINCESS! The Embera Village that ZUIDERDAM uses is the good one . . . The tip off is whether it is an all day Embera Village tour, or a short one, or one that's packaged with something else. The Embera experience is unique to Panama (although, yes, Embera do spread into today's Colombia) and most folks that came back to ZUIDERDAM when I was working HAL described it as one of the "best experiences of their life."

The Canal ferry is good as well, so it is a matter of choosing. My book has more on all the excursions in Panama.

The Tortugero Canals in Costa Rica is something totally different. No Indigenous culture . . . a pleasant trip on a flat boat along some Canals that pass through interesting tropical lowlands. Good choice for Costa Rica, but nothing like Panama.

HAL usually uses the same village that Anne Gordon's family is from. If you go there tell them that I said hello.

Regards, Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Archived