Venice

Molliemandy

TLCOhio: Thank you for the beautiful pictures! Those are wonderfully done.

I also agree with you on the simplicity and speed of taking the ship's shuttle service. On our last cruise (Sept 2010) it was $19/pp round trip or $35 for both days (we overnighted there). We've found that the initial trip in usually has a very long line since so many go at once but it clears quickly but involves about a 20 min wait. The second day (if you overnight there) has little or no lines since travel is more scattered.

Personally, we've really enjoyed just walking around Venice on our own. It is a fascinating place with amazing architecture.

On our first trip there we went into the Cathedral on St. Marks square. I believe if you reserve a spot on line you can avoid the lines if there are any - but on our first trip to Venice when we did this we found no lines in any event.

On our first trip we also did a gondola ride. This was pretty expensive and we tool a longer "deluxe" ride just before dusk and the timing was wonderful. We did it with another couple but still hired a separate gondola for each couple, despite the high cost, as there is just one nice "romantic" love seat on each (other passengers would have to sit on small stools).

On later trips we just wondered the city looking around, shopping and eating. Venice is a perfect place to enjoy this. Get a good tourist walking map - my favorite by far is the "Mapeasy Guidemap to Venice" and wonder your way to the Rialto bridge and just beyond. When you return to St. Marks square find a different path. The wonder through the area the other direction from the square.

There are many places to enjoy lunch, dinner or just a coffee and pastry. Prices range from very inexpensive cafes for pizza or a panini to nicer sit down restuarants. Like most tourist areas, the ones with a view of touristy spots like the Rialto bridge or St. Marks Square trade off higher prices (and possibly lesser menus) for the views. We usually look for quieter places.

Soon to visit Venice on the Solstice. Is it better to book ship's excursion or just do our own thing? We are semi fit 60 's:

Do it yourself. Do your homework-decide what you want to see & do. Get a good guidebook ( Rick Steves & DK Eyewitness guides are great).Also google Tom Sheridan port guides-Tome is a cruiser who has graciouly written some really good guides with photos & maps. Map out your own personal itinerary. One hint get as far away from St. Mark's as possible.-too many people,too many really bad restauarants that are $$$-because of location

Wear walking shoes & wander. Just write down the shuttle boat drop off pier, as there are 2 San Marco waterbus stops-you will probably want San Marco Zuccaro.

We did Solstice in June 2011(also same demographic). May I suggest that if you are interested in history try booking the Doge's Secret Itinerary tour(google it). find a cafe and order an "ombre or spritz" its very refreshing drink, have some chicheti(bar snacks) and go ahh Venice.

Have a great cruise

Carole

• 3 weeks later...

Just had to post a comment on the fabulous pictures posted here!!! They brought back so many wonderful memories of our trip to Venice 4 yrs ago. Enjoy your trip to this beautiful place....there's no where else like it!

Just returned last PM from Solstice with an overnight in Venice. We had wonderfull weather. I have some mobility problems and we have never been to Venice before, so we elected to take ship's tours both days. In addition to not having a wait at the Doges Palace and St Mark's on the first day, we were first off the ship and the tour included transport on the ship's shuttle, and you did not have to return with the group, so we were able to stay out on the first night until the 1130 shuttle back to the ship. Since the people mover stops running at about 1030PM after Nov 1, we were told it would be a long walk from the Vap stop back to the ship after the people mover stopped and I knew that we would be exhausted at that hour. We had plenty of time to ourselves after the Doges/St Marks/Glass Blowing tour which ended about 6:30 that night. Most if not all of the shops are closed by 8PM, and the square was pretty deserted after that as it was a week night. We had a wonderful dinner about 2 blocks off the square and then walked around a bit. There were only 3 bands playing in the Square. You could head over to the Rialto Bridge area or have a drink at one of the Hotels on the mail canal where the shuttle stops. I would suggest having dinner, keep the walking around to a minimum and then taking the Vap #1 for a trip along the Grand Canal, returning to transfer to the ship's shuttle. It was pretty late when we realized this was doable, and we were too tired at that point. Also, a very important point is that there was little or no water in the square that day, but as November comes, they do expect some water each day and you will be walking on the wooden ramps so that will slow things down a bit.

On the second morning, we did the Secret Venice walking tour, again with the ship due to mobility issues and as we could ill afford to get lost. Up and off the ship @745 AM, the tour shuttle delivered us to a spot on the other side of the Rialto Bridge near the hospital, where we walked along through the side streets and over the Rialto Bridge towards St Mark's. We saw Venice get up and off to school and work, provisions being delivered through the streets and along the canals to the store and restaurants, and the dogs being let out and taking their walks alone, along a very deliberate route known only to them, and then return home. We even witnessed a funeral procession with the casket being rolled through the streets, followed by the family, and then loaded onto a gondola with the family and the priest. It was a lengthy tour conducted at a fast pace and I could barely keep up, as we crossed I believe at least 12 bridges plus the final four before the shuttle, and I was using a walker. I was so glad I took the tour as we never would have seen anything like this on our own. We had a coffee and BR break at a square behind St Marks @Cafe Corteleone and took the group shuttle back to the ship. You could easily map this tour out on a Venice map, as out friends did, beginning at St Rocco's square and working back towads the Ship's Shuttle stop in front of the "Murano Store" with the green awning. You would have to be off the ship @730AM if you want to take this route and see Venice wake up! I think there were 1 or 2 shuttles after ours until the final return at 1130AM for the 1PM sailing.

In short, if you dont mind waiting in line for St Mark's and the Doges on the first afternoon, have a good street map, can move at a good pace in the AM and don't want to do a lot of shopping, you can do both of these excursions without a tour provided you use the ship's shuttle.

We were in Venice last May. We didn't go via a cruise but I must highly recommend doing what we did. Go online and download Rick Steve's audio tour of the Grand Canal. Download it to a phone you are taking. My son and I boarded the vaporetto he told us to, put one earbud in each of our ears and listened as Rick gave us a detailed tour of all the sites we passed. It was timed perfectly to each stop. I can not rave about this enough! It was fabulous!! We debarked at Piazza San marco and toured the Basilica. WARNING! You are not allowed to take any backpacks, bags etc into the Basilica. I saw people being turned away at the door. We were lucky enough to have a companion who had already seen the Basilica and was willing to sit outside with our stuff. Of all Italy, Venice was my favorite!!

Just returned last PM from Solstice with an overnight in Venice. We had wonderfull weather. I have some mobility problems and we have never been to Venice before, so we elected to take ship's tours both days. In addition to not having a wait at the Doges Palace and St Mark's on the first day, we were first off the ship and the tour included transport on the ship's shuttle, and you did not have to return with the group, so we were able to stay out on the first night until the 1130 shuttle back to the ship. Since the people mover stops running at about 1030PM after Nov 1, we were told it would be a long walk from the Vap stop back to the ship after the people mover stopped and I knew that we would be exhausted at that hour. We had plenty of time to ourselves after the Doges/St Marks/Glass Blowing tour which ended about 6:30 that night. Most if not all of the shops are closed by 8PM, and the square was pretty deserted after that as it was a week night. We had a wonderful dinner about 2 blocks off the square and then walked around a bit. There were only 3 bands playing in the Square. You could head over to the Rialto Bridge area or have a drink at one of the Hotels on the mail canal where the shuttle stops. I would suggest having dinner, keep the walking around to a minimum and then taking the Vap #1 for a trip along the Grand Canal, returning to transfer to the ship's shuttle. It was pretty late when we realized this was doable, and we were too tired at that point. Also, a very important point is that there was little or no water in the square that day, but as November comes, they do expect some water each day and you will be walking on the wooden ramps so that will slow things down a bit.

On the second morning, we did the Secret Venice walking tour, again with the ship due to mobility issues and as we could ill afford to get lost. Up and off the ship @745 AM, the tour shuttle delivered us to a spot on the other side of the Rialto Bridge near the hospital, where we walked along through the side streets and over the Rialto Bridge towards St Mark's. We saw Venice get up and off to school and work, provisions being delivered through the streets and along the canals to the store and restaurants, and the dogs being let out and taking their walks alone, along a very deliberate route known only to them, and then return home. We even witnessed a funeral procession with the casket being rolled through the streets, followed by the family, and then loaded onto a gondola with the family and the priest. It was a lengthy tour conducted at a fast pace and I could barely keep up, as we crossed I believe at least 12 bridges plus the final four before the shuttle, and I was using a walker. I was so glad I took the tour as we never would have seen anything like this on our own. We had a coffee and BR break at a square behind St Marks @Cafe Corteleone and took the group shuttle back to the ship. You could easily map this tour out on a Venice map, as out friends did, beginning at St Rocco's square and working back towads the Ship's Shuttle stop in front of the "Murano Store" with the green awning. You would have to be off the ship @730AM if you want to take this route and see Venice wake up! I think there were 1 or 2 shuttles after ours until the final return at 1130AM for the 1PM sailing.

In short, if you dont mind waiting in line for St Mark's and the Doges on the first afternoon, have a good street map, can move at a good pace in the AM and don't want to do a lot of shopping, you can do both of these excursions without a tour provided you use the ship's shuttle.

Knolmom, thank you for your advice! It sounds like you had a nice time. We'll be on this cruise next August and are very excited!

We were in Venice last May. We didn't go via a cruise but I must highly recommend doing what we did. Go online and download Rick Steve's audio tour of the Grand Canal. Download it to a phone you are taking. My son and I boarded the vaporetto he told us to, put one earbud in each of our ears and listened as Rick gave us a detailed tour of all the sites we passed. It was timed perfectly to each stop. I can not rave about this enough! It was fabulous!! We debarked at Piazza San marco and toured the Basilica. WARNING! You are not allowed to take any backpacks, bags etc into the Basilica. I saw people being turned away at the door. We were lucky enough to have a companion who had already seen the Basilica and was willing to sit outside with our stuff. Of all Italy, Venice was my favorite!!

lori, just this morning my husband was searching the Rick Steve's website. He has so much great info there! Thanks for the your suggestion!

Venice is a wonderful and so easy to DIY port, skip the ships tour and use your feet and public transportation. With the money you save go and take a gondolla ride!

I totally agree!

Sometimes I wonder about Americans, you have set the standards in the world, you have brought peace to many faraway countries, Go West, my boy is your motto... but when it comes to visit a foreign city, you all drive in packs....

Go for the adventure...take public transportation (Vaparettos), if there is one city with a giant hop on/off boat system it is Venice....you always find your way back to the ship...

Not only in Venice, but for any destination in the world...do your homework...and try to explore the places on your own...you will be fond of your memories...

TLCOhio: Thank you for the beautiful pictures! Those are wonderfully done. I also agree with you on the simplicity and speed of taking the ship's shuttle service. Personally, we've really enjoyed just walking around Venice on our own. It is a fascinating place with amazing architecture. Prices range from very inexpensive cafes for pizza or a panini to nicer sit down restuarants. Like most tourist areas, the ones with a view of touristy spots like the Rialto bridge or St. Marks Square trade off higher prices (and possibly lesser menus) for the views. We usually look for quieter places.

fm519: Just had to post a comment on the fabulous pictures posted here!!! They brought back so many wonderful memories of our trip to Venice 4 yrs ago. Enjoy your trip to this beautiful place....there's no where else like it!

Appreciate the nice comments on my pictures. Give all of the credit to Venice and its great beauty' date=' charm. Glad these visuals bring back nice memories.

Agree with Larry that there are lots of good to excellent places to eat. Getting a little "away" can help. Da Raffaelle is one example of a great place in a super setting we discovered in 1999. We had an outdoor table right next to the waterway. Wonderful food and spectacular setting. It is located at Ponte delle Ostreghe 2347. It is west of San Marco Square and south of La Fenice Opera House. We were back there in June. Nice!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/font']

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 47,840 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• 1 month later...
I totally agree!

Sometimes I wonder about Americans, you have set the standards in the world, you have brought peace to many faraway countries, Go West, my boy is your motto... but when it comes to visit a foreign city, you all drive in packs....

Go for the adventure...take public transportation (Vaparettos), if there is one city with a giant hop on/off boat system it is Venice....you always find your way back to the ship...

Not only in Venice, but for any destination in the world...do your homework...and try to explore the places on your own...you will be fond of your memories...

Hi Gerrie, I agree that when cruising we do tend to stick with the group, which causes us to miss so many details that really make a city unique. One of my fondest memories of a past visit to Rome were our trips to a local wine shop that we found on a side street near the tiny hotel we stayed at. The store was only open a couple of hours in the late afternoon, so we had to catch it just right. The owner gave us lots of suggestions for restaurants shops, and not to miss sites.

Archived