Travel Agent Pricing Policy

br00ke

They might have purchased a group block of cabins to get a discounted price and are passing on the savings, they might be giving up a portion of their commission to give a 'better' price.

Things to consider: Are they a reliable firm? Will they pay NCL directly from your credit card or are you paying them to make your reservation? Are you willing to give your booking to them and let them handle all your problems and questions, by not being to do things with NCL yourself.

I have always booked with an online agency and haven't had any issues. However, my reservations were always with the knowledge I was going on the cruise, I knew what I wanted and knew what I was getting in to.

I don't think it's a group booking situation, because all room categories are discounted - even the Garden Villas. We've used this agency before, because you can't beat the OBC they offer, and they've been great to deal with. It was just strange to see lower pricing than NCL is offering, because I thought that was prohibited now.

True, group discounts do not apply to suites. bewRE ANYONE OFFERING DISCOUNTS.

Sure..always be diligent, but I recently checked with the huge travel agency I deal with all the time and their prices were less than NCL by $100 per person at least, plus they were offering OBC. I heard about the new rules as well, so maybe some agencies are taking advantages of some loopholes in the policy. Either way, I'm going with the best deal.

I believe if the travel agency pays out of pocket for certain rooms to keep them past the reserved deadline they can sell them cheaper. If the cruise is getting close they might be selling them at a loss to themselves so that they dont loose tons.

We used an advertiser on this board for the first time this year. They beat everyone's prices, including my TA whom I've used for years. Her group department could not match the deal we were getting which was $100 less per cabin than anyone else along with a $75 OBC, and a free bottle of wine. This particular firm does not pay its agents a commission so maybe this is why they can discount so much???

They also had various offerings, for instance, my mom got a better discount because she belongs to CSEA (it was also a different cabin category)

Personally, it seems all so screwy. You look at the same exact built cabins and they've got all different category colors. Yes, I know the cruise line reasoning behind it but, my view of the ocean is the same whether I'm on deck 5 or deck 11:D

I just found a GREAT deal for the cruise we are wanting to take next year (using an online TA, which we've been doing for the last 2 years) and one of the agencies COMPLETELY blew the other agencies out of the water with their price and it's a lot cheaper than NCL PLUS they were giving $175 OBC for an INSIDE cabin (lowest category), plus an additional $65 with a special for that ship on that date. Hmmm. Sometimes I wonder how they make any money in the end. :confused:

I also wonder how NCL can offer their "Lowest Price Guarantee" when it's so easy to find prices (not to mention onboard credits) that are so much lower than what's on NCL.com - they should either drop the schtick or control the other agencies in pricing better. It's almost offensive to offer such a guarantee when it's so clearly not true.

Cruise Critic posted a thing on facebook where they are experimenting with a search engine that will get you prices from all their advertisers. They asked you to try it and make comments and suggestions.

I tried it using a random date next year for a cruise out of NYC. I asked for search results from all their advertisers so I got a lot of results. I suggested something that would side by side or do a list like nextag does. I found quite a bit of difference. For instance, the same guys we just used came in the cheapest BUT ---- one of the other ones offered to pay your gratuities - that wound up being the best bargain by around $20 as the fare was higher than the first.

NCL is no different than CCL. I'm always getting emails from them telling me how they've got great deals for past guests. 99.9% of the time the early saver comes in at the best price.

This all has to be mind boggling for someone searching for their first cruise. I'll research something like crazy, but not everyone is willing to do that.

I did just remember one time where dealing directly with CCL got us a fantastic price. It was back in 2008 when we were researching one Sunday afternoon for a cruise to do for our 25th. I tried to reach my TA but I happened to call on the Sunday she was off. I had a question about something so I called in to CCL customer service. In the course of the conversation the rep told me they were having a military discount on this particular sailing I was looking at. I was also told it was limited cabins and I should book it while they had a few cabins left. I booked it immediately because they gave us $400 off the cabin. I have yet to find any other deal like this one.

So shop around. You just never know what you might find out there.

But I'm editing to say this "buyer beware" Make sure you are using a reputable agency

I also wonder how NCL can offer their "Lowest Price Guarantee" when it's so easy to find prices (not to mention onboard credits) that are so much lower than what's on NCL.com - they should either drop the schtick or control the other agencies in pricing better. It's almost offensive to offer such a guarantee when it's so clearly not true.

Sorry but I'm a little confused by "offensiveness" of this guarantee.

My understanding (and I've been wrong at least once before :D) is that if you find a better price in 48hrs, NCL will either lower your existing to that price or you will receive 110% in OBC. I don't think thats offensive I think it is great. Therefore, if I do a little leg work and find it cheaper I save money.

So am I missing something here?

Sorry but I'm a little confused by "offensiveness" of this guarantee.

My understanding (and I've been wrong at least once before :D) is that if you find a better price in 48hrs, NCL will either lower your existing to that price or you will receive 110% in OBC. I don't think thats offensive I think it is great. Therefore, if I do a little leg work and find it cheaper I save money.

So am I missing something here?

My gripe is that it's clear that NCL is NOT the cheapest price available online - spending 30 seconds searching will prove that. However, if you actually read the FAQs for their Best Price Guaranteed, they don't have to honor the lower price if it falls under certain categories and a typical consumer has no way of telling. See below, pulled from NCL.com:

How do I know if the price I saw is a price advertised to the general public?

You can provide us the information and we will verify. If the price is found through a travel agent, it may be a price available only for that agency as they may have group space or an exclusive price.

My gripe is that it's clear that NCL is NOT the cheapest price available online - spending 30 seconds searching will prove that. However, if you actually read the FAQs for their Best Price Guaranteed, they don't have to honor the lower price if it falls under certain categories and a typical consumer has no way of telling. See below, pulled from NCL.com:

How do I know if the price I saw is a price advertised to the general public?

You can provide us the information and we will verify. If the price is found through a travel agent, it may be a price available only for that agency as they may have group space or an exclusive price.

Thank you for the explanation.

But most sales gimmicks of most companies will lead you to believe the customer is getting the fairest deal. I guess thats why they are referred to as sales gimmicks. In the end the consumer still has the option and therefore if NCL will not match then they can go with whoever is cheaper. Yes they will catch the unsuspecting and the ones who don't want to "bother" doing any research but that is exactly what they are counting on, or they wouldn't have the gimmick in the first place. Perhaps I look at companies differently, they are not my Mom or Dad and therefore their job is not to look out for me, their job is to make money and I, as a consumer have to be on my toes.

Fair enough it bothers you, I can accept that. It doesn't bother me, because as you do, I do my homework and therefore it may one day work in my favor.

Archived