No Kids in CL but Adults at DreamWorks Breakfast & Getting Face-Painting??

I've followed the discussion regarding children in the Concierge Lounge, where it seems like the vast majority of posters think that children do not belong in the CL. I have young kids, ages 7, 7 and 3, and I wouldn't think to bring my kids into the CL unless I was running in quickly to ask the concierge a quick question and my wife was not around to watch the kids. I wouldn't think of bringing them in during the cocktail hours. There are simply times and places for certain things, and the cocktail hour isn't the time and place for kids.

Having said that, when we went on the Allure in March, we tried to reserve spots for my wife and me and our three young kids for the DreamWorks breakfast. We tried making the reservations shortly after reservations first opened up online. But we could only get space for my wife and our 7 year old daughter. Her twin brother and younger brother were out of luck--no character breakfast for them.

But at the breakfast, there were full tables of adults--and adults only. I'm sure those adults were simply trying to relive childhood memories. I like reliving childhood memories too. Yet, in a limited space situation, by whole tables of adults going to a children's breakfast and reliving childhood memories, they are robbing actual children of experiencing childhood memories in the first place.

The same goes for facepainting. The line for facepainting on Allure was very long, and there were adults (sans children) in line. Again, I get the desire to re-experience childhood, but when young children don't have the patience to wait in line for 55 minutes to get their faces painted, you are robbing children of experiencing childhood FOR THE FIRST TIME.

So I am curious if there are people on the board who agree BOTH that children don't belong in the concierge lounge (an adult area) and that adults don't belong in the DreamWorks breakfast, face-painting line, etc. (children's activities). I sure do.

So let's hear what you think.

You are making a good point but only if the same people who don't want kids in the CL are the ones hogging space in the Dreamworks breakfast. But you have made a very serious argument supporting kids being allowed in the CL without anyone grumbling about it.

Personally, I feel that since kids have the same status as their parents they should have access to the CL and no, not during cocktail hour, that isn't appropriate for them at all. I do notice that once you reach a certain loyalty level you expect certain perks but it doesn't make you entitled......

That all being said I can't wait until my next cruise! Hope you and your family enjoy yours:)

Very interesting post. While you can't exclude adults from attending the Dreamworks Breakfast because children will have to be accompanied by an adult, I have to agree entire tables of adults only without children would cause a big problem for me if the event was filled and other children could not attend.

Face painting for adults? Really? Come on guys, let the kids in! Id enjoy just seeing those kids smiling faces!

Great point. We do not have children and although I would have liked to attend the Dreamworks breakfast when we sail next week, I could not bring myself to book it for fear that a kid would not be able to go.

And even though I think my fiance would be a sexy 30-something tiger, seeing the kids faces painted is much more appropriate :)

If you have trouble with the online reservations they will help you. Just call the main number & they will transfer you. They have a department that just helps with that type of thing. They helped me with my show schedules.

Sometimes the online thing has limitations. I am sure they could have arranged for you whole family to attend the breakfast.

My husband & I did attend the character breakfast by ourselves & totally enjoyed it.

The only annoying thing I saw was 'late' people with or without children. I do understand it is a bit early for kids. You are suppose to be there at 7:45 am & it starts at 8am.

They need to get all the orders in as everytime a character comes in, the waiters stop & dance with them. It is very hard on them if people are lagging.

I think the lounge is ok for kids EXCEPT the cocktail hour. It would be like bringing them to any other cocktail lounge. There is also a lot of adult type conversations going on that children should not be around.

Perhaps RC should first take a look at the list of all the passengers and their ages...and before opening reservations to "all", send an invite to those families with kids for ONE of the breakfasts...with a clear message that if you don't respond by "this date", your "slot" will be put into the "open" state in the system, and available for anyone to reserve via the online system. This way, those with kids get "first dibs", and any remaining slots are available to those adults without kids that want to attend..

Just a thought...

Not to be argumentative but if you see an adult (sans children) in line at Disney do you get upset too? Are adults not allowed to go to Disney without kids?

No - of course not - however on a ship reservations are limited and since the debate has come up about children being inappropriate in the CL - its an interesting post when adults are taking a "space" away from something a child would immensely enjoy and thinking nothing of it. Things have to work both ways, don't you think? And how heartbreaking for a child to be denied.

I think that adults going to Disney by themselves is okay since at the park, there are tons of rides, and if there's a long line in one, people with kids could go somewhere where there's a shorter line. (But I confess, not having been to Disney parks before, I am mostly guessing. Disney's not my thing. Cruising RCCL is!)

But that example is a little different since there's only one character breakfast per cruise. And if memory serves, there's only one face-painting session per cruise. (I could be wrong about the latter).

Don't get me wrong. I don't think that adults in these things are the worst thing in the world. Nor do I think kids in the CL are the worst thing in the world. I just think everything has it's time and place. While I understand adults wanting to participate in kids' stuff--I get that, I really do--I think there's a time and place for everything. If a week before the cruise there is availability at the character breakfast, adults can book reservations. Otherwise, leave the kids' stuff for the kids.

No - of course not - however on a ship reservations are limited and since the debate has come up about children being inappropriate in the CL - its an interesting post when adults are taking a "space" away from something a child would immensely enjoy and thinking nothing of it. Things have to work both ways, don't you think? And how heartbreaking for a child to be denied.

Why can't RCI simply make more "space" available for the character breakfasts?

If it's fully booked, add more.

very good point.

Very interesting post. I am one of the people who doesn't agree with the new CL policy. I don't believe children should be allowed in during cocktail hour. While I don't find adults at character breakfasts "inappropriate", I do think it would be considerate to allow children that opportunity before adults traveling without children. I personally wouldn't be interested in attending such an event without children, but if I was I certainly wouldn't want to prevent a child from enjoying this experience.

Now while I have no idea why a grown adult would want to get their face painted, in that case I think it's first some first serve. However, If I saw children waiting behind me and the time was running short, I would give up my spot to a child.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

But that example is a little different since there's only one character breakfast per cruise

There are 3 Character breakfasts on Allure :D I know because I am booked for all 3 and no I do not have children with me on this sailing.

Places were offered so I booked them. :D

I am one of the people who thinks that if a person paid for/"earned" something than that person is "entitled" to receive it. So, parents with children should be allowed in CL during happy hour (that rule was not changed to benefit children, it was changed to provide access to a perk for parents who paid for said perk). Similarly, character breakfast is included in cruise fare regardless of passanger age, therefore adults are entitled to that experience as much as children.

I think that RCI should make it a little bit easier for children to experience face painting and parades by designating seaparate lines/ares for small children and their parents, but this is a separate issue.

Hard to make a comparison between the two. One situation exposes children to an adult activity where alcohol is served while the other one does not. The behavior of some adults after drinking leaves a lot to be desired and not the type of behavior you would want your child to copy.

Disney welcomes children of all ages. Dreamworks is done on a similar scale that would attract adults.

RCCL could offer face painting more than once during the sailing as a way to ease the panic that you must get it the one and only time it is offered and causing as much distress to the kids that do not get to have their face painted. No one can do everything that is offered on a sailing. If your child wants to have his/her face painted, then if at all possible make sure you allow for it in your schedule.

MARAPRINCE

Elizanessie:

Wow!! That strikes me as extremely selfish for lack of a better word. And somewhat curious. A grown adult going to not one but ALL THREE character breakfasts???

Sorry to not mince words, but for some families, a cruise might be the trip of their (and their kids') lifetimes. The memories that they (won't) have since you've booked a space at ALL THREE character breakfasts... well, I don't really know what to say.

Maybe I will bring my kids into the CL during cocktail hours. Just kidding. I won't. I believe in a certain level of decorum. Too bad us folks are sometimes in the minority.

Elizanessie:

Wow!! That strikes me as extremely selfish for lack of a better word. And somewhat curious. A grown adult going to not one but ALL THREE character breakfasts???

Sorry to not mince words, but for some families, a cruise might be the trip of their (and their kids') lifetimes. The memories that they (won't) have since you've booked a space at ALL THREE character breakfasts... well, I don't really know what to say.

Maybe I will bring my kids into the CL during cocktail hours. Just kidding. I won't. I believe in a certain level of decorum. Too bad us folks are sometimes in the minority.

I booked the 3 breakfasts because there are different Characters at each breakfast. Last year on Allure B2B I didnt have time to see any of the Characters so as I only have one week on the ship this year I have booked all 3 breakfasts.

Desertbelle:

That's exactly my point. If adults don't want kids at certain events that are clearly designed for adults, then those same adults shouldn't invade certain events that are clearly designed for kids. That's why I won't be bringing my 7 year old twins and 3 year old into the CL. It's out of respect for a certain level of decorum.

I am one of the people who thinks that if a person paid for/"earned" something than that person is "entitled" to receive it. So, parents with children should be allowed in CL during happy hour (that rule was not changed to benefit children, it was changed to provide access to a perk for parents who paid for said perk). Similarly, character breakfast is included in cruise fare regardless of passanger age, therefore adults are entitled to that experience as much as children.

I think that RCI should make it a little bit easier for children to experience face painting and parades by designating seaparate lines/ares for small children and their parents, but this is a separate issue.

I also have paid/earned the perks, so I would like to go to the CL where kids are not allowed. Remember the perk has been no kids.

I booked the 3 breakfasts because there are different Characters at each breakfast. Last year on Allure B2B I didnt have time to see any of the Characters so as I only have one week on the ship this year I have booked all 3 breakfasts.

My mother and I attended the character breakfast last May on the Allure and a group of four of us attended again in Sept on Allure. We did not have children with us but enjoy these characters as they are for all ages as another poster already stated. The reservations open up at the same time for all cruisers, so everyone has the same opportunity to book. Do not see anything wrong with adults choosing to reserve, we had a wonderful time and will probably book it again next time we are on a ship that offers it.

I also agree with a previous poster who said that we are comparing two completely different things. Exposing Children to an adults lounge with alchohol is not something I would think any cruise line would allow.