All-inclusives compared to cruises

bo didy

For flights and seven nights, probably 2400-3000.

For us a 7 day AI to Mexico from San Antonio is actually cheaper than a 7 day cruise from Galveston (we don't do interior rooms). The cruises out of Galveston are alsways more expensive than the other ports during the summer. It was actually cheaper for us to fly to Miami and go on the Liberty than go on the Conquest driving to Galveston.

We can get a 7 night all inclusive with air to Mexico for less than $2,500. For us to go out of Galveston in July was $3,000 with tips. Plus we had the cost of drinks etc....

We do alternate between land and sea vacations for variety. Plus sometimes, you just are not in the port long enough to do what you want.

I agree with the previous poster about Jamaica. A trip to Sandals in Montego Bay was one of our best vacations ever (16 cruises and a ton of land vacations)

It is also nice to wake up each morning and not have to rush to get off the ship to see all you can see of an island for the 8 hours or less you are there

Is anybody aware of any affordable AI resorts in Florida, or any other US locations? I've tried to find some that we could drive to, but there don't seem to be any affordable ones in the US. I'd love to try one, but I HATE flying.

I don't think there is such a thing as an affordable all inclusive in the US. The way the AIs are so cheap in places like Mexico is because the liquor, the help and food is so much cheaper in those countries. You eat regional cooking because it is not as expensive. Which is what we like about them. It is the full experience. But with liquor taxes/ costs and salaries of US emplyees, you will not find a bargain

We went to an all inclusive for our honeymoon. It was fine. We would do it again if the price was right. The food was okay, but we were very ready to get back to the states and eat real cheese! We weren't bothered by drunks-or maybe we were the ones bothering others?:p We stayed in Puerto Vallarta. It was quite a bit cheaper than Sandals. It still was more than a cruise. We have to fly either way. If we drank as much as we would like it would probably be more to cruise though. Our hotel didn't have formal night entertainment-just bar, music, dancing etc. We do like cruising for economy and to see so many different areas.

I've never done an AI and have only done one cruise, but I don't have any interest in an AI. I'm not a heavy drinker anymore (although with an AI I'm sure I would drink more than I did on the cruise). Mostly, it's because beaches don't interest me. I'd rather explore the Promenade deck, or sit in Serenity or near the adult pool, or even my cabin, than sit on a beach.

I don't think cruising is about the ports for me so much, although if I cruise the Caribbean, I will go and explore some.

Cruises are great, they really are...

At an AI...

you don't have to worry about smuggling. The room is supplied with bottles of alcohol for your consumption, although rounding up the mixers is up to you. They will be replenished as needed.

the AI isn't going to sail without you should that looooonnnng ride to Chichen Itza go over.

tips are included.

Can't speak for other areas, but getting out and about in Cancun is a breeze. No worries about what some experience in Jamaica.

Mucho more pool, but the hogs are everywhere :eek: I, personally, love the sound of the waves breaking on the beach at night and in the morning.

I like both, it just depends on what you are looking for in your vacation.

I have done both...in 2012...May cruise...Nov AI Cancun

Cruises are great...like being at sea

AI is great like being on the beach

Cruises...get hit with S&S bill for drinks

AI...Well none of that

Cruises seem to meet more people and hang out with them

AI...Not so much

Cruise..Chair hogs

AI...Chair hogs

Cruise...food is good

AI...food is good

Cruises...Cost is about $3800 for two with suite

AI ....cost is about $3800 for two ...ocean front

I will continue to do both!!

I havent done any AI but been on 17 cruises. Im willing to try sometime. Only advantage of a AI to me would be no excessive long lines for buffet and crowded pools and chair hogs..:D. Everybody is hearded like cattle and the hassle of comming and going with all the crowds, but I would still have to deal with customs line at airport. Otherwise cruising is allot better. I like the sea experance.

Oh there are definitely chair hogs at All Inclusives! Usually it's easy to find a chair on the beach, but not around the pool! And the pools and buffets will also be crowded.

I've been to AIs and I do like them, but I just find them kind of boring being stuck in one place. It depends on where you are I guess. In the Dominican Republic for example I would NOT want to venture out on my own to see the country. No way! I also don't find the food great either. It's edible, but pretty boring usually unless you want to upcharge to eat at the fancy places. Yes drinks are free, but come in a tiny plastic cup with really cheap booze. The entertainment is also nothing to write home about usually either.

I'm not bashing AIs, I like them. I just get bored laying around on the same beach every day with little to do at night. That is my main problem with them.

I'm just really looking forward to our cruises for two things. Better and more varied food and entertainment.

We do both and love both.

Cruises are nice because you travel to different places and never unpack but once. Always nice to wake up to the ocean as you sail along. This year we did a cruise.

All inclusives are great if you're in a place you really like. No worries about extra money being spent. Next year it's back to Jamaica and Couples Resort Sans Souci for 10 days.

Just depends on what you want but for us it's a love of both!

Done both & love both. We usually have a great cruise & find a port we'd like to spend more time in. Then we'll book an AI there for the next vacation.

AI's are more expensive outright, but you pay NOTHING once you get there (except maybe a few spa fees or water activity fees). ALL food, drink & entertainment included. With cruising, it's less expensive, but then you have the S&S to pay for on the other end for any drinks, bingo games, specialty dining, etc.

So, to us, it really evens out. For those that think AI's are too expensive, a good TA can take payments over time for an AI, just like a cruise can do.

My best advice about AI's though is to avoid spring break weeks if possible, no matter where you go. Summer is not too bad, depending upon the location/resort you choose.

BTW, the only AI in the US is ClubMed in Florida.

We've done both, there are some pros and cons for each, however we enjoy cruising better... we have been to Cuba, Dominican Republic and Mexico staying at AI's. We found the food TERRIBLE at most of the AI's ( and that's staying at 5 Stars) however we are going to one in Jamaica in April for a friends wedding, we hear that it is better there... we'll see!!!

I agree about the food at the AI's... nothing to get excited about.

So, if you cruise for the food, do the cruise for sure!!!

And... 5-star resorts in Mexico and the Caribbean don't have the same standards we have here in the US to be considered 5-star. So, while they are ranked the "best", a 5-star there will probably not be as good as a 5-star would be here. Just a tidbit for anyone looking at AI's !

I too, prefer cruising. We went to a Sandals in Jamaica, a group of 12 friends. This group also cruises together so my comparisons are for group travel. Dining was the biggest difference for us.

On a cruise we know at six o'clock our tables are waiting for us in the MDR. At the AI we had to discuss where and when we would eat that evening and sometimes have to wait in line for our tables to be ready. They weren't very accommodating to larger groups.

The food also was inconsistent, depending on which resaurant you chose for dinner. It generally was okay with just one restaurant being outstanding. It was also the hardest to get into.

We enjoyed the beach and the pools but entertainment was a big disappointment. After dinner there wasn't a whole lot to do. There may have been two shows all week. We generally went to a bar, had a couple of drinks and called it a day.

Would I go again? Yes, maybe if I got a great deal. It was nice and relaxing but I just would rather cruise!

[quote name='LPYRCRUISER']I too, prefer cruising. We went to a Sandals in Jamaica, a group of 12 friends. This group also cruises together so my comparisons are for group travel. Dining was the biggest difference for us.
On a cruise we know at six o'clock our tables are waiting for us in the MDR. At the AI we had to discuss where and when we would eat that evening and sometimes have to wait in line for our tables to be ready. They weren't very accommodating to larger groups.
The food also was inconsistent, depending on which resaurant you chose for dinner. It generally was okay with just one restaurant being outstanding. It was also the hardest to get into.
We enjoyed the beach and the pools but entertainment was a big disappointment. After dinner there wasn't a whole lot to do. There may have been two shows all week. We generally went to a bar, had a couple of drinks and called it a day.
Would I go again? Yes, maybe if I got a great deal. It was nice and relaxing but I just would rather cruise![/QUOTE]

Oh yes I forgot to mention about the entertainment at AI's... I found that once you have been on a cruise and saw that level of entertainment, your almost bound to be disapointed IMHO

Archived