Smoking in cabins...

QM2 fan

Am I correct in thinking it is not allowed? I only ask as we have just returned from the 2 night Taste of France voyage, and our cabin smelt like it had been smoked in continously for the whole preceding TA voyage...I cannot understand how the steward didn't notice, and asked the guests to cease.....

Am I correct in thinking it is not allowed? I only ask as we have just returned from the 2 night Taste of France voyage, and our cabin smelt like it had been smoked in continously for the whole preceding TA voyage...I cannot understand how the steward didn't notice, and asked the guests to cease.....

Logically, it's a good idea to get the facts before sailing..smoking in the cabins is allowed until April. Normally the cabins are smoke free when you board which would mean that your cabin attendant didn't clean your cabin properly.

I do wonder if this could something to do with the ships ventilation system. On our recent TA we noticed a very significant cigarette smell in several areas of the ship - but ONLY in those areas. One was in Kings Court, in two of the "window seat" areas - but I can't remember exactly which. But it was there every day and nowhere else. Another was in one lift lobby area, and another was at a certain point along one of the corridors on deck 3 (we noticed this at it was on the way to dinner each night). Have no idea why of course it was just in those areas but it was very noticeable - I'm an ex smoker (but not a smug one!:D) so can smell a stale cigarette smell at 20 ft!

From Cunard's FAQ:

What is the smoking policy on board Cunard ships?

The safety, comfort and enjoyment of all our guests has always been a key concern at Cunard. With this in mind, as a direct result of the feedback wehave received from our guests, we have amended our policy with regard to smoking on board Cunard ships. Smoking is no longer permitted in any public area with the exception of Churchill’s Cigar Lounge (cigars only) and designated areas on the open decks. Smoking is permitted on private balconies.

To answer the OP's question, if somebody was smoking inside their stateroom then "rat them out" to the cabin steward and work it up the line so the miscreant can be dealt with according to the ship's procedures.

It's really very simple people. If you don't like Cunard's smoking policy - or their lack of enforcement thereof - sail elsewhere.

From Cunard's FAQ:

What is the smoking policy on board Cunard ships?

The safety, comfort and enjoyment of all our guests has always been a key concern at Cunard. With this in mind, as a direct result of the feedback wehave received from our guests, we have amended our policy with regard to smoking on board Cunard ships. Smoking is no longer permitted in any public area with the exception of Churchill’s Cigar Lounge (cigars only) and designated areas on the open decks. Smoking is permitted on private balconies.

To answer the OP's question, if somebody was smoking inside their stateroom then "rat them out" to the cabin steward and work it up the line so the miscreant can be dealt with according to the ship's procedures.

Marie--as of this day smoking is not yet prohibited in staterooms, and nowhere does the above say that. At ask.cunard.com the smoking policy has this additional paragraph:

With effect from 24 March 2012 for Queen Victoria and 27 April for Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary 2, smoking will no longer be permitted in staterooms, however smoking is permitted on private balconies

Suppose that, after the ban on cabin smoking comes into effect, someone smokes on the balcony and leaves the balcony doors open whilst doing so.

The effect could well be little different from actually smoking in the cabin.

And even if someone was 'ratted out' (quaint phrase, I like it.) they could simply say it must have blown in from the balcony. Not an enforceable rule I think and an unenforceable rule is no rule at all.

Shiny

Archived