Credit card charges

Aldoscott

Hi.

After filling out my xpress pass I noticed that I am supposed to tick a box regarding credit card exchange rates.

Is it better to let celebrity do it or tick the box for my bank to do it?

Do not let celebrity do it.....let your charge card company do the exchange. If you ever run into this option while renting a car or in a store, also refuse their "help". The charge card companies convert at the official rate....and depending on your bank or card issuer, you are charged a flat 0-3% for conversion.

Now here's the untold ugly part of all this: Even if your car rental company converts your charge to dollars and they submit the claim in a foreign country, you may still be charged the 3% on top of that....so you not only may have gotten a poor exchange rate, you get charged the fee anyway.

Let the credit card company do the conversion....and find a credit card that charges less than 3% as a conversion fee.

Do not let celebrity do it.....let your charge card company do the exchange.
Totally agree. This question has come up before and everyone who replied has always advised not to let the cruise line do the conversion but have your credit card company do it.

In the USA many of us have credit cards that do not charge any currency conversion fee at all, the best kind to use for foreign currency transactions.

I don't know if you can get them in Scotland, but it may be worth checking to find out.

Normally it's advantageous to let you credit card handle the exchange, but it can flip the other way if your bank is particularly heavy handed.

We live in the States and have three cards that charge no foreign transaction fees. Very handy. And there are cards that charge currency exchange fees but not foreign transaction fees (only for currency exchange) - versus my Citi card that charges a foreign transaction fee (even if in dollars, a fee is charged). I'd call your bank and find out the fees first.

Totally agree. This question has come up before and everyone who replied has always advised not to let the cruise line do the conversion but have your credit card company do it.

In the USA many of us have credit cards that do not charge any currency conversion fee at all, the best kind to use for foreign currency transactions.

I don't know if you can get them in Scotland, but it may be worth checking to find out.

My current "travel" VISA credit card charges neither a foreign transaction fee or a foreign exchange fee and they reimburse ATM fees charged anywhere in the world.

The advice of everyone else is probably correct but, with so many credit cards out there, you really need to check both their small print and Celebrity's just to make sure you choose the right option.

What you cannot know is what exchange rate Celebrity and your credit card will be using at the time the transaction is made. One way that you can mitigate against this is buying on board credit before you go. The £/US$ exchange rate Celebrity has been using for most of this year [and previous years] has been extremely good. If you can estimate what your on board bill will be and can afford to pay in advance, you can make quite a saving.

Sue

And as well as ticking the right box, point this out when you are checking in and registering your card, and it's also a good idea to check with the Purser/Cashier sometime during your cruise that the message has got through.

And as well as ticking the right box, point this out when you are checking in and registering your card, and it's also a good idea to check with the Purser/Cashier sometime during your cruise that the message has got through.

I agree 100%. You have to be vigilant.

Do NOT let Celebrity convert your bill for you if you are not a US citizen. Their rate of exchange is terrible!!

I agree 100%. You have to be vigilant.

Do NOT let Celebrity convert your bill for you if you are not a US citizen. Their rate of exchange is terrible!!

If you really want a terrible rate of exchange, convert pounds to euros on a celebrity ship (or any two non US $ currencies). They first buy your pounds and convert them to US $'s....and then they sell you the euros. Two conversions.....consider yourself lucky if you don't owe them money at the end of the transaction.

[quote name=Now here's the untold ugly part of all this: Even if your car rental company converts your charge to dollars and they submit the claim in a foreign country' date=' you may still be charged the 3% on top of that....so you not only may have gotten a poor exchange rate, you get charged the fee anyway.

Let the credit card company do the conversion....and find a credit card that charges less than 3% as a conversion fee.[/quote]

Capital One does not have a "Foreign Exchange Fee"

I got caught by this fee several years ago buying an Air Jamaica airline ticket. Bought and paid for in the U.S. but their main office is in Jamaica. After a dispute with Credit card company I had it wiped off. But then strated looking for a credit card that did not have the fee.

I recently saw an ad for another credit card that does not have the fee, can't remember who but know that Capital One does not have the fee

BTW, I am NOT associated with, work for, or have any relation with Capital One

Thanks everyone. On previous cruises I have just let my bank do the conversion but just thought I would check. I have booked and payed all trips, drinks package and speciality restaurants so hopefully my end of cruise bill will be very small anyway.

Archived