Honolulu Zoo and Waikiki Aquarium

Baileybasset

We got off of the ship at Pier 2 and took the City Bus directly into Waikiki to the Zoo's entrance. Fare was $2.50/one way exact change. Drivers were friendly and helpful. The Honolulu Zoo is very nice with beautiful foliage and interesting animals. Admission was about $14 (discount available if you are a member of specific zoos). We spent a couple of hours there and then walked down the street about 15 minutes to the Waikiki Aquarium. $9.00 admission. It is small, but very well done with sound wands to listen to at the various exhibits. We chose to walk back thru Waikiki before catching the City Bus close to the Hilton Hawaiian Village for a return trip to the Pier. An enjoyable day.:)

When I went two years ago, I did the inverse. I hit the aquarium first and as I was walking back to my hotel, I noticed the zoo. I didn't know it was there until I stopped for a picture of one of the statues outside of it...

We went to the Honolulu Zoo but was not impressed. Very small and very sad way to take care of animals. I guess we are spoiled because we live in Columbus Ohio, home of the Columbus Zoo that Jack Hanna built and is Director Emeritus of. At the Columbus Zoo, the animals are mostly exhibited in free range exhibits similar to their native habitat. One of our two baby elephants is being shipped to the Denver Zoo later this year but we still have the baby Gorillas!

Archived