Perfect 2.5 Day Itinerary (for us, couple with 3 and 5 year old)

Hamitchell

I have a review of our Pride cruise 10/2, and wanted to post this here since I had a hard time, at first, piecing together an "ideal" first trip to Bermuda with 2.5 days to tour:

To see Bermuda in 2.5 days, I think the best itinerary, at least with kids of this age coming for the first time (and Momma’s first time) was to do it like this:

Day 1: 10am fast boat or 10.30am slow boat (1.15 of an hour) to St. George, eat at waterfront, walk around, take pictures at the Stocks, then get a taxi to Ft. St. Catherine, tour that, you can see the ship from there which is sort of interesting, then walk/stroller down the road fronting the place to the right to Tobacco Bay (not the bay immediately on either side of the fort, but further down toward’s the East/dockyards). Swim in T.B., clean up best you can (no showers) and dress in nice shorts/shirts, have them call you a taxi at TB and go down to best bus stop in St. George, for bus to Hamilton. At Hamilton, buy ice cream near first stop in downtown area, Daddy hit cigar shop for cubanos, Black Seal rum shop (duty free, “Old Rum” special edition is not too bad—they send it to the ship for pick up Sun. 8.30am deck 2), walk down the waterfront to the fast ferry back to Dockyards. We got the 5pm ferry, but I think there is another at 5.30pm and plenty to pick you up. Back to ship to rest/dinner, then walkabout after dinner in Dockyards.

Day 2: Get Russell Wade, guide and taxi driver, to take you around; we wanted to mainly go to Horseshoe Bay, and there was some mix up with the dispatcher we contacted who sent us Mr. Wade, but you can contact him directly and I would suggest that. He was very professional compared to the regular taxi guys, and owns a substantial B & B—he’s pretty wealthy, and obviously enjoys his “post-retirement” work (he was an engineer for Bermuda; worked on some bridges). He took us to an organic farm, old house converted to a church, described all sorts of interesting plants/trees they have, gave us some history, beautiful drive to HSB. Then we took 11.30am to about 2.30pm at HSB, enjoying the small bay with all the little ones/families to the right as you step on the beach. Kids loved it; had tropical fish all around us, and a big purple/green parrot fish sort of ambling around us. We ate fish and chips there for lunch, then 2.30pm packed it in just in time for a rain shower and got back to the docks about 3.30pm for some walking/shopping around clock tower mall there. Then to ship dinner, etc.

Day 3: Stay near ship because we have to board by 11.30am. Back to shops, got great wind breaker at Davison’s for $40, went to the fort/museum/dolphin complex and roamed around, great pictures up there. Nice little shop near dolphins with mini dolphins that make squeaky dolphin noises (confiscated at bedtime in our cabin, however). Prompt shove off at 11.50am, so be prompt. Watch the way the capt. has to take the ship out; it’s pretty treacherous around Bermuda for shipping! Beautiful water.

We didn't have to wait long for the bus in St. Geo., but never got the bus in Dockyards, so don't have any insight into wait times there. Didn't appear to be any bottle necks that I saw. Ferries were all over the place, so those seemed just fine, too.

Water was not that clear at TB and HSB so don’t be let down with that; I think the winds and the people stir it up a lot. Might want to rent a boat at the bridge or at Blue Hole and go out into the protected areas for clear snorkeling. You can snorkel and see stuff, tho, at TB and HSB. It was a bit chilly, but you get used to it, and the water stays warm, even if the wind is a little chilly; no need for wetsuits in Oct.

I haven't rented from Somerset, but they look reasonable on price.

I did rent from Blue Hole or whatever was there in '89 when I stayed at the hotel near there. It was good, good boat, Castle Harbor was a big area to explore.

I met Ross Perot while on that boat and I'll never forget it. He took us to a little island near the inlet across from the end of the runway far from the airport terminal. Saw some huge fish sort of track us around, like dogs. I think they were looking for a handout.

Beautiful beach. Mr. P was nice to check in on us later that afternoon in his big old yacht.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for posting this. We have a full day on day 3. We are history buffs, but don't typically spend extremely long hours reading every sign, but like to get a good overall feel of what all is there and read some of the signs.

How much time should we plan for the Maritime Museum and walking around the Dockyard on our last day?

Archived