Doing Baltimore before a Pride Cruise--we did it b4 our 10/2 cruise

Hamitchell

We added an extra day to our time there because I had heard it was great for families, and it really is.

We got there Friday early pm after 5.5 hour car ride from NC. We stayed at the Sleep Inn near the airport with the park and cruise special (they keep your car for free for the week you are cruising, it was $99/nt to stay). I didn't realize that the light rail station is across the street (need to drive, tho with kids), so we took that into town both days. Got off at the Convention Center stop. Inner harbor waterfront was about 3 or 4 blocks down the street.

The first day we ate lunch at the tapas restaurant; good spanish beer. Then went to see the Constellation (only civil war ship still afloat) and the USS Torsk, the WWII to 1960's diesel sub. The sub was really, really interesting, as a fan of Tom Clancy's older books; it was tiny compared to nuke subs. You buy tickets at the dock near Constellation.

Then we walked to the Aquarium and around back on the little bridge to Sullivan's steakhouse for the views. We were tired on this first day, so we went back to the hotel. Can't recall where we had dinner; there are lots of restaurants around.

Saturday we went to the 11am Urban Pirates pirate ship adventure; was about 1.5 hours. We really enjoyed it. It was for the kids, but the parents got some good chuckles, and of course, got to see their lovely children dressed up as pirates, being taught piratey things. The actors were funny, good natured. There are small water "cannons" on board, so the kids attacked the old Coast Guard cutter as well as a police boat that came by, "scalawags!"

There was a street fair at the U.P.'s docks, went to Bertha's Mussels for lunch. Then hopped water taxi back to area at Aquarium. We went to the Aquarium (purchased a ticket online night before b/c you have to specify a time you'll enter, and those go quickly, and line is long). We just missed the Dora and Diego 4D movie when we got there around 2:20pm (we had a 2pm ticket). But a great place, gets very full. Should pay a little extra and see the dolphin show. Sharks are great.

Then, we were pooped, went to hotel to prep for cruise the next day.

There is so much there to see than we had time for. The kids museum has a three story tall indoor play house.

When we sailed on Pride last year, we drove to the port (having spent the night in South Jersey) and arrived way to early - the ship was still docking. We went over to Fort McHenry, just a short drive away, and spent the morning touring the fort. It's a great way to spend some time before the cruise. :cool:

I loved the B&O museum and short train ride. If you like trains you will love the exhibits. My grandfather was a signalman for the railroad in Cincinnati. I want to go back there again during the week when you can make an appt to see individual work records. I would love to see his work records. The railroad let him get through the great depression keeping his family fed, clothed and housed.

Hi! I'm glad you had fun in Baltimore! We love visiting the city, it's so pretty! We haven't tried the pirates adventure yet, but your review and pictures make it sound fun.

I know it's off-topic, but I was curious how the Pride was with your kiddos. :) Ours will be 5 and 3 at the time we're thinking of sailing, and I'm curious how family friendly you thought the ship was.

Matt & Carolyn, I posted a review of our Pride trip 10/2. Kids loved it, especially the 5 year old. She's pretty sociable, so she shut the kids club down a few times. We went to see if she wanted to be "let out" for a while one time, she aboslutely had no interest in leaving.

The 3 yo boy was another story. He liked it, but the third time he wanted to just hang with us, which was fine.

There is less to do on Pride than our other previous ship, Disney Magic. Obviously! But, they enjoyed it, the excitement of the great big ship, the putt putt golf, of course the pools and esp. hot tub, family stand up comedian, free ice cream machine (!), the shows. The shows are not really great for kids, and I didn't like them that much; I'm not a Vegas Show kind of guy, but here and there they were fun. Too much of the male lead flashing his chest and belly for my taste. If it had just been the dancing girls, then that would be another story . . . .. .Still, not for kids, really.

Pride was fun. Food was great. Look for my review.

Mitch

I know it's off-topic, but I was curious how the Pride was with your kiddos. :) Ours will be 5 and 3 at the time we're thinking of sailing, and I'm curious how family friendly you thought the ship was.

I'm not the OP but my 2 year old love the Pride. We are returning in 11 days. (He'll be a lot closer to 3 this time around.)

Mitch - How was the hotel?? We are looking to stay there pre-cruise too in May. We were hoping to go see a game at Camden Yards - but just our luck they are playing the Red Sox in Boston!! UGH!!

I'm sure with lots to see in Baltimore we won't be bored!! My niece took her son to the Pirates Adventure in June and he loved it as well!!

Being close to Baltimore, I am truly biased, but it is a great city!! Bertha's Mussels are delicious and a great choice to eat. Little Italy also has some great places and the Inner Harbor has beautiful views. The science museum is awesome and clearly, Camden Yards is an amazing stadium! I highly recommend visiting the city!

Matt & Carolyn, I posted a review of our Pride trip 10/2. Kids loved it, especially the 5 year old. She's pretty sociable, so she shut the kids club down a few times. We went to see if she wanted to be "let out" for a while one time, she aboslutely had no interest in leaving.

The 3 yo boy was another story. He liked it, but the third time he wanted to just hang with us, which was fine.

There is less to do on Pride than our other previous ship, Disney Magic. Obviously! But, they enjoyed it, the excitement of the great big ship, the putt putt golf, of course the pools and esp. hot tub, family stand up comedian, free ice cream machine (!), the shows. The shows are not really great for kids, and I didn't like them that much; I'm not a Vegas Show kind of guy, but here and there they were fun. Too much of the male lead flashing his chest and belly for my taste. If it had just been the dancing girls, then that would be another story . . . .. .Still, not for kids, really.

Pride was fun. Food was great. Look for my review.

Mitch

Thanks!! I'll have to look for the review - I forgot that they're available. ;) It's been awhile since I've done cruise research! Our last (and first) was on RCCL out of Baltimore and we loved it, but didn't pay attention to kid stuff. Disney's line looks awesome and we want to try that sometime, but the price of Carnival (plus being out of Baltimore) will save us a bunch for a first cruise trial.

I'm not the OP but my 2 year old love the Pride. We are returning in 11 days. (He'll be a lot closer to 3 this time around.)

Thanks!! Our second will truly be not QUITE 3 on our trip so that's good to know. :) I'm hoping our girls will love the camp, especially since they can stay together (which they usually love to do :cool:).

Archived