My name changed

Twibbs

I'm good for my upcoming cruise, as I booked it in my maiden name, which is what my passport is in.

However, is there any purpose in updating the name on my passport? I'd have to pay the renewal fees, as it has been issued for more than a year. I can't find anything that says I HAVE to get it changed.

Just wondering if I should bother, or just wait until it's up for renewal in 8 or 9 years....

I waited for the renewal (it was 8 years). I had just renewed a year before I got married, and I didn't want to pay that fee again just because my name changed (yes the new one would have 10 years on it, but the old one only had 1 year!). Carried a certified copy of the marriage license in my passport. Never had a problem.

Another option, obviously, is to continue booking things in your maiden name until renewal time.

..should there come a time that you absolutely HAVE to have a Passport to cruise, just carry your marriage certificate with you.

I would never remember to book a cruise in my maiden name...

That goes for ANY time you are going to be traveling and using a passport, BTW...

If you don't travel often where you need your passport, then continue to book future trips in your maiden name and you'll be fine.

In my case, I travel to Canada more than once/month, so for me, it's worth it to change my name on my passport as soon as I can to avoid the headache of always booking in 2 different names!

I didn't change my name because time went by and then it just seemed like - why bother at this point. DH and I have been married for 10 years. He is still called by my last name a lot. It's funny - he doesn't find it as amusing. I've been working on him to just go ahead and change his name....nope - hasn't happened yet.

I'm good for my upcoming cruise, as I booked it in my maiden name, which is what my passport is in.

However, is there any purpose in updating the name on my passport? I'd have to pay the renewal fees, as it has been issued for more than a year. I can't find anything that says I HAVE to get it changed.

Just wondering if I should bother, or just wait until it's up for renewal in 8 or 9 years....

We took a cruise for our honeymoon, but everything was booked in my maiden name, so I travelled under that. I have since changed everything but my passport, but will change it for our upcoming cruise. I found it awkward having different names, so I was up for changing it. Guess its up to you really. Just remember that your name as it appears on the travel itenerary must match your ID.

I changed mine when I got divorced and took back my maiden name. My passport was less than a year old, and I went ahead and got it changed. I just knew that at some point I would book something in my actual name, not even thinking about it, and then there would be extra hassle at the airport, etc... Not worth it to start (or end) a vacation with delays and hassles.

It took far less time to get back the changed passport than it did to get the passport initially. Also, if you write them a nice letter and ask for your old passport back (which I did because I wanted to keep it for the stamps), they will send it back to you with holes punched through the cover. If you don't ask, they just keep and destroy it.

Avoid all the hassles - keep your name afer marriage. It is a marriage license after all, not a title certificate. And if Hubby objects, give him the option of changing his name to yours. It is funny how fast they will tell you "That's not my name!!" Really? Here's your sign....

Avoid all the hassles - keep your name afer marriage. It is a marriage license after all, not a title certificate. And if Hubby objects, give him the option of changing his name to yours. It is funny how fast they will tell you "That's not my name!!" Really? Here's your sign....

Too late. It's already been changed with Social Security and on my driver's license. I've heard of couples both changing their name to something they chose - that has to be even worse!

No need to change. My wife is still using her maiden name almost 30 years after the wedding.

i have been married for 2 years now and the only thing i have not changed is my passport... i book everything in my married name and just keep a certified copy of my marriage licence with my passport. i have not had a problem with that....

I did the same until mine had to be renewed. Never had a problem.

I really wish our government would waive the renewal fee if our name changed due to marriage. My wife is a dual citizen (two passports) and she had so much trouble with traveling during first two years of marriage and then we gave up, got her passports renewed.

Kind of aggravating.

I got married in 2008 and my drivers license and passport still have my maiden name. I'll swith my dl next year when it expires and my passport in 2016 when it expires. I just have to remember to use my maiden name when I travel and I haven't had any problems yet.

Archived