nice beach not too far from port

hladygirl

We will be in Tortola this July, and have decided on Smuggler's Cove. We've pre-arranged transportation for our group of 30 (@ $20/person round trip), and another 6 staying on St. Thomas will be joining us for the day. Will Patricia's be overwhelmed by this size group? Is there a way to make sure her bar will be stocked, have enough food, etc? Or is one of the other bars better for that size group?

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Blue Water , a couple of questions.

We have a short day in Tortola 7 am - 2pm thought about taking taxi to CGB. There is a small Distillery behind the beach is it worth a visit? Also when the taxi drops us off which area would be best?

Is the Botanical Gardens in Roadtown worth the walk from the dock?

Thanks, Karen

Hi Karen,

Yes the Callwood distillery is worth a visit, especially if you're in CGB. I would have the taxi drop you at Myett's, but anywhere is OK as all of the restaurants are together there. We've stayed at Myett's and their food is good, but we went to Stanley's Welcome Bar next door almost everyday for their burger. Stanley's is the home of the picture postcard with the tire swing in the palm tree, the tree was torn out by a hurricane some years ago. Tony is running it today and I would grab a bite there. Grab the table by the door for the great view of the islands across the bay. Purported to be the real home of JB's Cheeseburger in Paradise.

I have not visited the Botanical Gardens, sorry, but others have recommended that tour.

Have a great day!

Hi Karen,

Yes the Callwood distillery is worth a visit, especially if you're in CGB. I would have the taxi drop you at Myett's, but anywhere is OK as all of the restaurants are together there. We've stayed at Myett's and their food is good, but we went to Stanley's Welcome Bar next door almost everyday for their burger. Stanley's is the home of the picture postcard with the tire swing in the palm tree, the tree was torn out by a hurricane some years ago. Tony is running it today and I would grab a bite there. Grab the table by the door for the great view of the islands across the bay. Purported to be the real home of JB's Cheeseburger in Paradise.

I have not visited the Botanical Gardens, sorry, but others have recommended that tour.

Have a great day!

Are there any local shops to browse at Cane Bay Beach?

Best restaurants?

Thanks , Karen

Are there any local shops to browse at Cane Bay Beach?

Best restaurants?

Thanks , Karen

As I said I would choose Stanley's or Myett's for a lunch. Big Banana, Rymers, the Elms, and Quito's all have something but the good stuff starts with happy hour and dinner. Not really a good reason to go to CGB during the day in my opinion. CGB gets very crowded with cruisers. Val has a small gift shop at Myett's, and Kareem started a glass-blowing shop out back last April. Bananakeet up Windy Hill has a killer view and a bar and a small gift shop, I like their hats.

What type of experience are you looking for? I assume you read the earlier posts in this thread, right?

As I said I would choose Stanley's or Myett's for a lunch. Big Banana, Rymers, the Elms, and Quito's all have something but the good stuff starts with happy hour and dinner. Not really a good reason to go to CGB during the day in my opinion. CGB gets very crowded with cruisers. Val has a small gift shop at Myett's, and Kareem started a glass-blowing shop out back last April. Bananakeet up Windy Hill has a killer view and a bar and a small gift shop, I like their hats.

What type of experience are you looking for? I assume you read the earlier posts in this thread, right?

Indeed I read the other posts in the thread.

Our group includes me, my DH and our son (22) and his GF (20) . We are looking for a beach were they can rent a jet ski or other water equipment. Also I would like to take in the community so I thought that going to the distillery and maybe a grocery store ect would be a neat idea. Cane Bay sounds like the right spot for us. We are going on a cruise with 2000 other strangers we are not the kind of people who need seclusion. LOL

We are avid photographers and wandering what would be on your list of interesting photos in Roadtown? We are going to try to go into Roadtown before the beach.

Thanks Karen

Yes you will have a great time. I would make sure the driver stops at the best spots overlooking CGB from the hill top for great photo ops. To the left of Myett's is a small cemetery with unnamed graves (they used simple stones).

In Roadtown you'll find some neat things to shoot, Pussers Pub is near the dock.

If you get to the Bananakeet on Windy Hill on the way to or from CGB the view of Carrot, Apple, and Long Bays and ajost and Sandy Spit are truly spectacular - a must-do. Then drive down the hill and there is an abandoned cemetery on the left. Just down the road is Bomba's Shack, another must photo op.

Enjoy our favorite island!

Blue water

Sorry if I missed it in one of your posts but how long is the drive to CGB? Is traffic bad on Tortola? Being a Parrothead, I really think I have to go to Stanley's for that Cheeseburger in Paradise! :p Hopefully there won't be too many ships in port that day!

Thanks for all the info!

The taxi ride is about 20 - 30 min, traffic isn't all that bad, just some steep and winding areas. Yes by all means do hit CGB and Stanley's, cousin Tony is running it now and he and the girls are great.

You may get lucky and see Brian Neal playing at Myett's next door, he plays JB music and I'm told he played with Jimmy, not sure. The bands usually play at night but ya never know...

You can check the cruise ship schedule for Tortola on the cruise calendar in the BVI forum on TTOL (traveltalkonline.com) and read more about Tortola too.

Have a cheeseburger for me!

• 2 weeks later...
Sure! It all depends on what kind of experience you want?

Do you like a busier vibe with several beach bars/restaurants and other cruisers enjoying the same place? Cane Garden Bay is a large bay with a decent beach that is overrun with cruisers on busy ship days. We spent a week there and stayed at Myett's where the best happy hours are. There is great evening entertainment in CGB, better than anywhere else in the BVI or the USVI. Stanley's Welcome Bar has a great burger, and you can find water sports there including Julian's water taxi to Jost.

Smuggler's is a little slice of Heaven, beautiful beach that offers snorkeling and amazing views of Jost and Sandy Key. Just portapotties, no amenities other than Patricia's grill and small bar.

Brewer's is also nice, north of CGB.

The Long Bay Resort day pass is for their pool ($20pp or $45 with a burger and 2 drinks). The pool is a wading pool (not deep) and there's a small pool bar. It's OK...

If I were going to Long Bay I would choose to grab a disposable cooler and beer and ice or other drinks at the store in Road Town and just head to the Long Bay beach. The beaches in Tortola are free to the public. There are resort lounges there and you can use them if no one minds or just use your towels. We used the resort pool while we were there and the girl didn't have a problem with that.

What are your interests - busy beach, laid back beach, or something else?

Blue_water, you have mentioned both smugglers cove and long bay. You know anything about Apple Bay?? My teen thinks she needs to wind surf :confused:We will be in Tortola 16 Aug (Thursday) from 7am-3:30pm. And, i'm ok with venturing off on our own, just gotta b careful as we are 2 girls alone. :eek:

Blue_water, you have mentioned both smugglers cove and long bay. You know anything about Apple Bay?? My teen thinks she needs to wind surf :confused:We will be in Tortola 16 Aug (Thursday) from 7am-3:30pm. And, i'm ok with venturing off on our own, just gotta b careful as we are 2 girls alone. :eek:

Yes we drive by there on our way to Sebastian's and Smuggler's, Kids love surfing there. I don;t know if anyone wind surfs there but you can learn more by posting on the BVI forum on TTOL (traveltalkonline). That's the prime BVI forum. Sebastian's hotel is a short walk from there as is Bpmba's Shack. Not a problem during the day.

Archived