Tried Celebrity...not impressed!

I am also a D+ C&A member who had only sailed Royal and finally tried Celebrity last March. My next booked cruise is on .......... Celebrity!

Everything was just a bit more upscale on X. Food in Blu was excellent. Staff was VERY attentive. Fellow passengers seemed less intent on hogging chairs, being the first in the buffet line, grabbing the elevator before you could have a chance to get off, etc.

Which is not to say that I would not cruise Royal again given the right price and the right itenerary.

Just saying that I guess it is a good thing that there are so many choices to keep all of us happy cruisers. :)

We are sorry to read that the OP had a bad experience on X. We ourselves once had a bad X experience (on the Infinity in Brazil a few years ago) but have since had nothing but excellent X cruises. That being said, we often meet cruisers who get attached to a single cruise line which they enjoy and then decide to try something new. But many of these folks try to compare product A to product B and are not happy when they find things are different. Slow service in the dining room might annoy some,,,but others would call it "dining." An RCI hamburger that has been soaking in hot water for a half hour might please some RCI fans who would hate a larger Angus burger made to order on X. Some folks love the frequent PA annoucments on RCI and might feel neglected on X when there is only 1 or 2 PA annoucements all day. We met some RCI regulars on a recent Summit cruise who were unhappy because they did not have pool games. It goes on and on. In the end its just different strokes for different folks. But we do agree with the OP regarding the Elite cocktail parties on X. The 5 - 7 time is not very good for late diners and we wish they would change it to 5 -8.

Hank

Ooh, sounds like someone is a little touchy...get a grip! These were my valid observations/opinions during the cruise. Of course not everything will be perfect. But, when SO MANY things are wrong, there's a problem. Yes, I've had a bad experience or two with Royal as well....and I've voiced them here, too! Just read and do some research before slamming ME. After all, this is Cruise "Critic," is it not? I will probably try Celebrity again, but on a different class of ship.....

Grip this. There is a big difference between pointing out you generalize about Celebrity Cruise Lines and their staff based on two sailings & slamming you.

As far as researching YOUR posts, you've got to be kidding! I've got better things to do like go outside & rake leaves for example :rolleyes:

That's exactly what I was considering....trying Solstice, Eclipse, Equinox, etc. I've heard so many wonderful things, which is why I was so disappointed...

Hi-- I think you may enjoy that class of ship. We loved the Solstice and are anxious to go back to sail again on any one of the ships within that class. We are booked the Serenade this time because we are cruising with three other couples, we like the itinerary, and we had cruise credit with our Royal Caribbean BOA credit card. :D

Enjoy your cruise on the Liberty! Sounds wonderful!

Grip this. There is a big difference between pointing out you generalize about Celebrity Cruise Lines and their staff based on two sailings & slamming you.

As far as researching YOUR posts, you've got to be kidding! I've got better things to do like go outside & rake leaves for example :rolleyes:

Good, get raking and leave us alone! LOL

So every one of your RCL cruises have been great with great service & one of the two Celebrity cruises wasn't up to par & you come on CC & slam Celeb because of one bad experience? :confused:

I havn't been on nearly as many RCL sailing as you have but I've had not so great experiences a couple of times. Do I get on here and slam RCL, no.

I'm not about to generalize about an entire fleet of ships & staff due to a couple incidents.

No one is slamming Celebrity. Just stating opinions. There are good and bad cruises and ships on all cruise lines. Had terrible food on Serenade in Alaska. PR stateroom on Navigator was very small and uncomfortable.

We all come here for opinions and advice. If everyone gave glowing reports of every ship and itinerary, then what's the point.

FWIW my friend who sails mostly on Celeb and had done a TA the year before was very disappointed in the activities or lack thereof on the Eclipse. She said that the entertainment was much better the year before. I think she was on the Century then. So it wasn't just me being a cheerleader for Royal.

Take each comment with a grain of salt and the truth will lie somewhere in the middle. Just because I had one bad cruise on Celebrity doesn't mean I wouldn't go back. Same for Carnival and Princess.

I am also a D+ C&A member who had only sailed Royal and finally tried Celebrity last March. My next booked cruise is on .......... Celebrity!

Everything was just a bit more upscale on X. Food in Blu was excellent. Staff was VERY attentive. Fellow passengers seemed less intent on hogging chairs, being the first in the buffet line, grabbing the elevator before you could have a chance to get off, etc.

Which is not to say that I would not cruise Royal again given the right price and the right itenerary.

Just saying that I guess it is a good thing that there are so many choices to keep all of us happy cruisers. :)

That's it. I'll never cruise X again. Way too boring!:eek::D:D:D

Thank you. It has just been a difficult, life changing few months for me. But I am starting to feel a bit like me again - and trying to get back to old activities. :)

Welcome home. :) And of course, I would never ask for details on these boards.

We sailed on the Infinity to Alaska and found pretty much the same as you did. We tried again with the Eclipse and it was the exact opposite and it was our best cruise ever. Staff was amazing and attentive and the food was good.

I'm sure there are people who have had issues with one or more of the RCI ships too. Just means you can't judge the whole cruise line by one cruise.

Welcome home. :) And of course, I would never ask for details on these boards.

Of course you wouldn't. :) In this case it would be OK. I lost my wonderful, wonderful DH to a sudden heart attack. He was young (relatively speaking), slender, very active, no family history. So very unexpected. Which means I am now learning to live a life on my own - something I have not done since I was 20...... We will see how that works out. I am definately a work in progress.

Of course you wouldn't. :) In this case it would be OK. I lost my wonderful, wonderful DH to a sudden heart attack. He was young (relatively speaking), slender, very active, no family history. So very unexpected. Which means I am now learning to live a life on my own - something I have not done since I was 20...... We will see how that works out. I am definately a work in progress.

I'm so sorry to hear that. My DH came very close to the same thing 2 years ago. Just pulled through although he spent several days in a coma. In his case it was being in the "right" place at the "right" time, meaning not in our home town.

I had 2 friends who lost their DH's within 4 days of each other a year ago. It seems that bad things happen to good people.

Please accept my condolences on your loss.

I'm so sorry to hear that. My DH came very close to the same thing 2 years ago. Just pulled through although he spent several days in a coma. In his case it was being in the "right" place at the "right" time, meaning not in our home town.

I had 2 friends who lost their DH's within 4 days of each other a year ago. It seems that bad things happen to good people.

Please accept my condolences on your loss.

Thank you. I hope your DH is doing well now......

I am SO sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with you. You will find your way. The great thing about the past is that it never goes away. It will always be a part of you and in tme you will find ways to draw strength from it. Again, I am so sorry...

I am SO sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with you. You will find your way. The great thing about the past is that it never goes away. It will always be a part of you and in tme you will find ways to draw strength from it. Again, I am so sorry...

Thank you for the lovely thought. I know you are right. And I am doing well all things considered. I have 2 daughters and a SIL that have been amazing at helping me adjust. 2 grandchildren that insure that I continue to laugh. I have a core of really good friends that have been there for me constantly. And I am fortunate to be financially secure. There are many others in my situation who cannot say these things.

We are D+ with 269 points (23 Royal Cruises). We thought we'd give Celebrity a try with our Elite status. We just sailed Millenium for 5 days, and couldn't wait for the cruise to END. It was less than enjoyable. The MDR service was horrendous (food was good, but service really lacked). We waited 40 minutes the first night just for bread and our water glasses to be filled. The second night, we walked out and never returned to the dining room for the rest of the cruise! It was that bad. The loyalty ambassador (captain's club) was "snippy" with us on several occasions, and never even introduced herself during the Elite events. The crew NEVER smiled, and seemed very uptight. Even when trying to "loosen" them up, they wouldn't relax. Way too snooty/uptight. The evening buffet was NOTHING like the Windjammer. At the Windjammer, the evening food is different each night, and they even offer some of the MDR entrees. On Millenium, the buffet was EXACTLY the same EVERY night...stir fry, pasta, or sushi. Good at first, but boring after a while. The evening "social hour" is 5-7, while on Royal it's 5-8:30......much better to accommodate those with late dining! We usually aren't ready for the evening until 7 or so, but the social hour was already ending by then. Some things were nice, but overall, we are sticking with Royal Caribbean. Granted, many dedicated Celebrity passengers told us that this didn't seem like a typical sailing. But, we're happy staying with Royal.....(better discounts, too....balcony, coupon book, etc....).

The Millie was one of our favorite Celebrity ships,,so sorry to hear it's not what it used to be:(.. We have switched over to RC a few cruises ago and really do love the ships and the service,,hope they don't change...

We are D+ with 269 points (23 Royal Cruises). We thought we'd give Celebrity a try with our Elite status. We just sailed Millenium for 5 days, and couldn't wait for the cruise to END. It was less than enjoyable. The MDR service was horrendous (food was good, but service really lacked). We waited 40 minutes the first night just for bread and our water glasses to be filled. The second night, we walked out and never returned to the dining room for the rest of the cruise! It was that bad. The loyalty ambassador (captain's club) was "snippy" with us on several occasions, and never even introduced herself during the Elite events. The crew NEVER smiled, and seemed very uptight. Even when trying to "loosen" them up, they wouldn't relax. Way too snooty/uptight. The evening buffet was NOTHING like the Windjammer. At the Windjammer, the evening food is different each night, and they even offer some of the MDR entrees. On Millenium, the buffet was EXACTLY the same EVERY night...stir fry, pasta, or sushi. Good at first, but boring after a while. The evening "social hour" is 5-7, while on Royal it's 5-8:30......much better to accommodate those with late dining! We usually aren't ready for the evening until 7 or so, but the social hour was already ending by then. Some things were nice, but overall, we are sticking with Royal Caribbean. Granted, many dedicated Celebrity passengers told us that this didn't seem like a typical sailing. But, we're happy staying with Royal.....(better discounts, too....balcony, coupon book, etc....).

We totally agree and you echo our experience on our b2b2b Constellation cruise last Spring. A total of 43 days at sea with two crew changes, and nothing changed. The same attitudes of being superior to Royal Caribbean from the Captain right down through the ranks. What a disappointment for us as we truly like you had heard so many good things about Celebrity.

You will have a much better experience on the Liberty this week with RCI.

Get your leaves raked LOL!!!!

We've only had the pleasure of cruising on X once and it was lovely. It was a first cruise for several in our party and it definitely got some of them hooked on cruising!

Perspective is different for everyone. One person will not like the lack of activities, we enjoyed the fact that on Celebrity they weren't hawking activities over the loud speakers all day. On RCI and especially our one and only Carnival cruise you are constantly barraged with the cruise director and their staff to get your butt to the bingo tournament or any other function they are doing.

We have cruised RCI more than other lines, we keep going back as we feel they have good value, I have learned to tune out all the announcements.

We would definitely cruise Celebrity again. But, we like the laid back atmosphere, we aren't in a hurry at dinner and prefer a nice walk or to read a book over pool games and trivia any day.

Tranquil - my condolences and I hope you have many happy memories to bring a smile to you and your family.

Royal - so sorry to hear Millie was not the best. She has actually been our favorite X ship and we miss not sailing her - her itinerary just hasn't worked for us. I wonder if doing 5 day sailings has beaten the crew down - it always seems the crew are not as strong on shorter sailings. We always found the food amazing.

X is a different environment and I think especially in the last few years, RCI corporate is REALLY differentiating even more between Royal and X. Even though we love being able to drive to port in Galveston, we are returning to X after our next cruise because we feel Royal is concentrating more on families and instead of enhancing C&A perks, are actually decreasing them. On the flip side, X is really positioning itself more for adult travelers and increasing the Captains Club perks. We kind of feel like we're being gently pushed to that line. We cruised Solstice when it was brand new and it was an overcrowded New Years sailing so we look forward to seeing the S class in a normal setting. We liked it but there were some negatives related to too many passengers onboard.

As others have said, don't let one bad sailing turn you off X. Solstice class does have some unique experiences. Be sure to experience sunset at the Lawn Club! :)

Sorry to hear your had such a bad cruise. We had the best staff in the MDR and the best food on same ship that I have to say it's been our favorite cruise and wish they had a ship closer to us. We don't enjoy flying to get to a port so have decided to drive to one closer to us. That is why you see so may Carnival and Royal Caribbean below.

We've only had the pleasure of cruising on X once and it was lovely. It was a first cruise for several in our party and it definitely got some of them hooked on cruising!

Perspective is different for everyone. One person will not like the lack of activities, we enjoyed the fact that on Celebrity they weren't hawking activities over the loud speakers all day. On RCI and especially our one and only Carnival cruise you are constantly barraged with the cruise director and their staff to get your butt to the bingo tournament or any other function they are doing.

We have cruised RCI more than other lines, we keep going back as we feel they have good value, I have learned to tune out all the announcements.

We would definitely cruise Celebrity again. But, we like the laid back atmosphere, we aren't in a hurry at dinner and prefer a nice walk or to read a book over pool games and trivia any day.

I LOVE YOUR REPLY and have to agree. It does get old hearing that all day. If it's important then say it but don't hawk it all day long ~~each and every day. We can READ about it.

Archived