Tequila Factory in Puerto Vallarta

Travel_Lover28

There are a few places in vallarta that show (but not always make) Tequila. One I know is near Mismaloya - on the way to the Zoo, south of Vallarta.

You need a cab or bus to get there.

But of course the real Tequila is made in Tequila, near Guadalajara, but that is too far out for a daytrip.

Can you tour a Tequila Factory on your own? Where is one in Puerto Vallarta? How far is it and can you take a taxi there? How much to take a taxi to Hacienda Dona Engracia? Thanks for any info.

There really isn't a production Tequila factory in or around Vallarta. There are a few demonstration exhibits (tourist traps) that explain the history and methods of making tequila. You will get a chance to taste the tequilas that they make at their off-site family micro-distillery. These are an interesting stop as part of some larger tour. I wouldn't seek one out as the center piece of my activities. Anything you buy at one of these "tequila factrories" will be unique and you won't be able to find it anyplace else.

Hacienda Dona Engracia, on the other hand, would be the equivalent to the typical brew-pub restaurant that you would find in the states. Larger, semi-production batches with additional entertainment options. This would be a worthwhile trip. Sorry, I can't help you with taxi rates from the port.

As Ine indicated, all the major production tequila factories (distilleries) are located near Guadalajara, with a good number of them in the city of Tequila. We did a day trip to Tequila for a distillery tour and it ran a solid 12 hours. Not something you can do as a cruise ship passenger.

Other than the pure entertainment value, what do you hope to accomplish by looking for a "tequila factory"?

Enjoy!

A friend had mentioned that I should visit a Tequila Factory. I did not want to do the ship tour, so I thought there was one that we could go on our own.

Just looking for ideas to do in Puerto Vallarta. I have done the town tour already and a day at Dreams last times.

We prefer to explore on our own.

• 2 weeks later...

The factory you mentioned is well outside of PV. (we did the tour in the spring). It was probably 45 minutes by bus and at that time near a couple roadside checkpoints. I would not taxi out there. Good location though... I found the trip worth the ships expensive price.

A taxi driver took us to one in Pitillal about three miles up the road beside Sams Club. I am not sure if they make the tequila there or if it was a tourist trap, but the kids did a nice dance and we sampled several flavors of tequila. We then went back to PV and toured the city and Mismaloya. Maybe if you ask a taxi driver, you can go there. Buses also go up there but I don't know how close you would get to the place we went.

Ok - I guess from reading the boards that's really our only option unless we want to go so far out of town, so that's probably what we'll do. What is there to do in Mismaloya? Is it just a beach or a town too? Was it worth going there?

Ok - I guess from reading the boards that's really our only option unless we want to go so far out of town, so that's probably what we'll do. What is there to do in Mismaloya? Is it just a beach or a town too? Was it worth going there?

The main attraction at Mismaloya is the beach where John Huston filmed "The night of the Iguana" It looks nothing like it did because there is now a big hotel and restaurant on the beach. The area has a restaurant in a canyon that is built on the rocks surrounding the river. It is interesting to visit. The town has a tequila factory (aka tourist trap), but also interesting with tasting of several types of tequila.

The ride out there gives you a pretty good look at the city and countryside.

If you want a close place to spend the day at a good price, take the blue and white bus to town and get off just after you cross the river and go toward the ocean to the Sea Monkey bar and restaurant. They have tables on the beach and sell beer and margaritas for one dollar. Food is good and a very nice crew.

As others have mentioned, the tequila stops in and around Puerto Vallarta are only tourist stops, not at all factories. The one we stopped at had the dancers, a brief display of how tequila is made, and then samples. They had tequila for sale then. A fun quick stop, but not a factory.

Archived