My Week on the Jewel

Jab5549

Just got back from a week sailing on the Jewel. Some good, some very good, some disapointing. Let me say that I booked a penthouse suite on the aft and was never told it was a handicap room. We had been on the aft before and was expecting our room to look like the other penthouses back there. It did not. It ruined our trip. Although it was large, there were reminders everwhere that it WAS for people with limited mobility. I went to speak to someone to see if we could be moved and we were told the ship was totally sold out. So we had to live with it. I'll survive. I should say that we have been on the Jewel five times this year alone and that we cruise every other month. There is always something you can do for an extreme regular. O.K., next. The public areas are in great shape, clean and very well maintained but as we walked down the halls and looked into some of the staterooms we noticed that many were in need of repair. Worn furniture and woodwork. Next, If your cruise is going to the out island, you will be in for a surprise. They are building it up so much that it will look like a fancy resort by the time they are done but in the meantime there is construction going on all around and some of the beach is under construction. To walk from the ferry to the beach, you will need shoes because it is so rocky from the construction. Same for going to the food hut from the beach. I, personally liked it better when it was a virgin island and the barbecue was a real barbecue not another buffet line. Next, the food. I have seen a major cutback in food quality and menu choices. As a suite guest, you are invited to eat in Cagney's for breakfast and lunch. We were able to eat breakfast there but they cut back so much on the lunch menu that we really did not eat ther for lunch but opted to go the buffet where the food is fine and the choices are better. We ate in the main dining rooms most nights and the food was less than acceptable. We ate in the specialty restaurants three times and it really was not worth spending a dime for food that was no better.So little seasoning on the fajitas and il popo that it was like eating steamed chicken and steak that tasted like a dog chew. NCL must learn from food chains that you don't have to spend a lot on food cost to make the food taste good and be prepared properly. I like my meat medium rare but always came out like shoe leather. As you can tell, I did not eat it and left hungry. Most of the people we met on board felt the same way about the food, but don't tell anyone. Next, the staff, the finest, friendliest on the high seas. NCL, cherish these people. They work so hard every day and do it with a smile. How they remember everyones names is amazing. I applaud them. If you have the pleasure of going on the Jewel, there is one Maitre D, Melvin. He goes so above and beyond to please every guest. He treats us as family and we call him our adopted son, with the funny accent. Next, being a cruise critic member and going to the meet and greet and the the slot pull, we got to meet some of the nicest people on board. There were eight of us that bonded, from inside stateroom to suite, it did not matter. Meeting them, getting to spend time and know them, really made the trip for us. We laughed and had fun and at the end of the day isn't that what we came for? So whether NCL listens to comments or not, it won't stop us from cruising. See you on board for our next cruise Just 41 days from now but who's counting.

I'm a little surprised that with all the cruising that you do, you did not know how to check the ship's deck plans to determine the characteristics of a given cabin.

Just wondering, did the Jewel deck plan not identify your cabin as "disabled"? The current version on the NCL website does make that distinction on some....which cabin did you have?

Wow, I noticed right away on the deck plans that 9172 and 9672 are both handicap rooms! Only two on the ship. I would hope and extreme cruiser would have a TA that would let you know, or did you book it yourself?:D With a sold out ship, how did you want them to handle your extreme cruiser issue? Evict someone else? Not sure I understand your entitlement. With the food and ship not up to your expectations, may be time to try something else? Sounds like the Jewel is not up to your standards, possibly Epic or Breakaway, although that won't help the food issue. Sorry it was not what you expected.

We are getting ready for our third cruise with NCL (all on the Pearl) and are staying in an aft penthouse on deck 10 (our favorite). I have never had the opportunity to look in an aft, deck 9, accessible penthouse, and am curious what exactly is the difference between a standard aft penthouse and an accessible aft penthouse? What was it about the room that caused it to "...ruin your trip"?

Since you're such a regular cruiser on the Jewel I am shocked that you weren't aware of the handicap accessible aft penthouses on deck 9. They're clearly marked on the deck plans on NCL.com.

Don't get down on NCL, take another cruise - but on a different trip. If you want to try an aft penthouse suite again, get one on deck 10 as these are a little larger than the other SF's on decks 8 and 9.

Hang in there and remember - a bad day at sea is always better than a good day in the office!

Unfortunately they don't post the layout for a handicap room. I booked through NCL directly and although I did notice the room was handicap I was still expecting it to be somewhat like the other suites. It was not. It was a different layout. The bathroom, in particular, was a hard adjustment. Mirrors faced down, a fold down seat in the shower made it hard to not bump into it while bathing. The whole floor would get wet because it is not a seperate shower but rather a curtain than surrounds you. Wallpaper was peeling off the wall and was scotch taped on. The bed was hard as a rock. The couch was for one. There was no dining table and chairs so anything brought to our room had to be stacked. The closet space was very limited due to the handicap pull down rod. I never should have taken that room. My mistake. As for those of you with nasty negative attitudes and responses, nobody owes me anything, I pay for what I get and I expect to get what I pay for. This thread was to let people know what I experienced, not for you to trash me. If people travel and have comments on their experience and it helps one other future cruiser than it was worth all your trashing. I still had a wonderful trip and would do it again. In fact, I am.

As for those of you with nasty negative attitudes and responses, nobody owes me anything, I pay for what I get and I expect to get what I pay for. This thread was to let people know what I experienced, not for you to trash me.

You might want to grow some skin if you think these replies are nasty negative attitudes... ;)

I would appreciate info on how to check the ship's deck plans to determine the characteristics of a given cabin. Will be on Jewel in January. Thanks

You can check the deck plan layout on the NCL website. Just beneath the deck plan is the key. For instance, a disabled room is marked with a square.

http://www2.ncl.com/cruise-ship/jewel/decks/2/9#tab_detail

Unfortunately they don't post the layout for a handicap room. I booked through NCL directly and although I did notice the room was handicap I was still expecting it to be somewhat like the other suites. It was not. It was a different layout. The bathroom, in particular, was a hard adjustment. Mirrors faced down, a fold down seat in the shower made it hard to not bump into it while bathing. The whole floor would get wet because it is not a seperate shower but rather a curtain than surrounds you. Wallpaper was peeling off the wall and was scotch taped on. The bed was hard as a rock. The couch was for one. There was no dining table and chairs so anything brought to our room had to be stacked. The closet space was very limited due to the handicap pull down rod. I never should have taken that room. My mistake. As for those of you with nasty negative attitudes and responses, nobody owes me anything, I pay for what I get and I expect to get what I pay for. This thread was to let people know what I experienced, not for you to trash me. If people travel and have comments on their experience and it helps one other future cruiser than it was worth all your trashing. I still had a wonderful trip and would do it again. In fact, I am.

I think you should really re-read your original post. The tone of it comes across as extremely negative. Probably the reason you are getting the same tone in return.

Surely you are not blaming NCL because of a cabin choice you made. Sorry, logic just tells me there is going to be a huge difference in layout and cabin to accommodate the many mobility disabilities that they would have to make allowances for. And like others, I’m really not sure what you expected them to do for you, since the ship was full. I realize in your next post you state “my mistake” and then go right back to “I expect to get what I pay for.” You did get what you booked. All the things you mentioned are quite typical of needs in a handicapped cabin, perhaps a little more research of the needs of wheelchairs would have alleviated this issue for you before you booked it.

As for GSC, it is what it is and construction always creates a mess before it is completed to look beautiful. Drive down any road that is under contruction, I guarantee you will find the same thing. Hopefully with your post, you have made others aware that are naïve enough to think they are not going to be impacted by someplace when it is very well documented this area is under construction.

I am actually quite surprised that the “food quality” would come as a surprise to you, since you say this is your 6th sail this year on the Jewel. You would think after that many sailings you would know exactly what you wished to avoid in which dining venues. Your food comments are totally your opinion and you are welcome to them. Since you may hate what I love.

Glad you enjoyed the crew and the meet and greet.

There's an awful lot of subtle changes happening on the Jewel folks so watch reviews.

Maybe OP simply thought the cabin would be larger and didn't realize things were going to be changed in order to accommodate someone in a chair.

GSC mostly heard fellow passengers complaining about it being very hot and no shade.

All 5 of us enjoyed all our meals. We all agreed the coffee tasted burnt most of the time.

New menus seemed just fine. DH missed the split pea soup though and I missed the cold banana soup.

I think you should really re-read your original post. The tone of it comes across as extremely negative. Probably the reason you are getting the same tone in return.

Surely you are not blaming NCL because of a cabin choice you made. Sorry, logic just tells me there is going to be a huge difference in layout and cabin to accommodate the many mobility disabilities that they would have to make allowances for. And like others, I’m really not sure what you expected them to do for you, since the ship was full. I realize in your next post you state “my mistake” and then go right back to “I expect to get what I pay for.” You did get what you booked. All the things you mentioned are quite typical of needs in a handicapped cabin, perhaps a little more research of the needs of wheelchairs would have alleviated this issue for you before you booked it.

As for GSC, it is what it is and construction always creates a mess before it is completed to look beautiful. Drive down any road that is under contruction, I guarantee you will find the same thing. Hopefully with your post, you have made others aware that are naïve enough to think they are not going to be impacted by someplace when it is very well documented this area is under construction.

I am actually quite surprised that the “food quality” would come as a surprise to you, since you say this is your 6th sail this year on the Jewel. You would think after that many sailings you would know exactly what you wished to avoid in which dining venues. Your food comments are totally your opinion and you are welcome to them. Since you may hate what I love.

Glad you enjoyed the crew and the meet and greet.

I agree. Nothing should had been a surprise since the OP had sailed on the Jewel and the post, with the exception of the last few lines was very negative. As to the food, I base my opinion on my own experience and my expectations have always been met. I find it interesting though, that people who complain about the food often say that "everyone else that we talked to agreed". I guess that's supposed to validate their opinion.

We have booked 9150 on the Jewel for next year's Alaskan adventure.

It is an accessibility/disabled cabin very close to aft elevator and I wanted to do some research-mostly on the CC NCL board-to make sure this would be right for us and our situation.

BTW: I can use a tripod cane for short distances, (say a city block) or for very limited standing, but besides needing a WC for embark/disembark and airports, noticed the need to call Guest Services desk for one numerous times on our recent Sky cruise.

As the OP mentioned, the bathroom has a completely different layout, plus there are an abundance of sturdy grab bars in shower area, next to toilet, and of note, the sink is a wall mount lavatory style so storage is basically nil.

The no threshold main door and bathroom doors are ADA compliant meaning a good bit wider than standard cruise ship doorways, there is larger square footage over all (150% in balcony cabins like ours) but in order to fully accomodate WCs and scooters turning circles much of the furniture besides the bed and nightstands is missing.

Another difference, there is a larger balcony door opening and a ramp type construct out to the balcony itself. Persons not disabled have mentioned disliking such features, and I can tell that I will miss sitting at our little table over a leisurely room service breakfast :(

The AFT Suites similarly appointed were additional considerations but being very close to the elevator ended up being the deciding factor in our case. I do recall when using the search feature for 9672, there being several mentions of soaked bathroom floor/minor flooding due to that 'stall-free' shower setup.

Sorry to hear the suite design negatively impacted your overall cruise experience but we appreciate you taking the time to post your personal observations.

PS I hope you don't mind that I posted a few examples of accessibility setups.

NCLJewelHCBathroomthresholdfree.jpg.69f2e290667ed7b4ce19a229f691ccf4.jpg

BahamasNCLSkySuiteLifelunchperksBahamasvacationOctober2011.jpg.f046499dc360238a5a8e59c95b1e812b.jpg

NCLJewelHCCabin.jpg.31ea205b3aca7e3961de52f26c3f542d.jpg

NCLSkyhandicapbathroom.jpg.8248eac517b5f5aba5194d54701f23dc.jpg

Any food that I don't have to cook or clean up after is edible in my book!! :D Can't wait to sail the Jewel for the first time in 5 days!!

Hope you have a great cruise! I just came off the Jewel on Saturday and we enjoyed the food and had a good time.

I was also on this cruise and had the pleasure of spending some time with the OP and his lovely DW and 2 other wonderful couples from CC.

Together we had a killer trivia team.:D

Although I'm pretty easy going when it comes to food I did see a marked difference in the food as compared to my Pearl cruise and Feb and my Jewel cruise in 2009.

This might have been a one off as they had a new executive chef who was only there for that week.

I will see when I cruise on the Dawn in Feb.

I agree totally about the staff being friendly and helpful and Melvin and the bar manager going above and beyond to make you feel welcome.

The entertainment was great, especially the Tina Turner show and Crazeehorse.

We also enjoyed Nathanial on the piano and Jim on the guitar, both played at the martini bar/lounge.

I did notice the lack of Second City, I thought they were on all NCL ship?:confused:

I sincerely hope that I have a chance to sail with the OP and his DW again in the near future.

Lois

Any food that I don't have to cook or clean up after is edible in my book!! :D Can't wait to sail the Jewel for the first time in 5 days!!

You forgot shop for! There are so many choices there is always at least one good choice at any meal:)I sail on the Jewel on 11/12 and can't wait and I know i won't come home hungry

We have booked 9150 on the Jewel for next year's Alaskan adventure.

It is an accessibility/disabled cabin very close to aft elevator and I wanted to do some research-mostly on the CC NCL board-to make sure this would be right for us and our situation.

BTW: I can use a tripod cane for short distances, (say a city block) or for very limited standing, but besides needing a WC for embark/disembark and airports, noticed the need to call Guest Services desk for one numerous times on our recent Sky cruise.

As the OP mentioned, the bathroom has a completely different layout, plus there are an abundance of sturdy grab bars in shower area, next to toilet, and of note, the sink is a wall mount lavatory style so storage is basically nil.

The no threshold main door and bathroom doors are ADA compliant meaning a good bit wider than standard cruise ship doorways, there is larger square footage over all (150% in balcony cabins like ours) but in order to fully accomodate WCs and scooters turning circles much of the furniture besides the bed and nightstands is missing.

Another difference, there is a larger balcony door opening and a ramp type construct out to the balcony itself. Persons not disabled have mentioned disliking such features, and I can tell that I will miss sitting at our little table over a leisurely room service breakfast :(

The AFT Suites similarly appointed were additional considerations but being very close to the elevator ended up being the deciding factor in our case. I do recall when using the search feature for 9672, there being several mentions of soaked bathroom floor/minor flooding due to that 'stall-free' shower setup.

Sorry to hear the suite design negatively impacted your overall cruise experience but we appreciate you taking the time to post your personal observations.

PS I hope you don't mind that I posted a few examples of accessibility setups.

I really appreciate your post. It was very informative on the accessibility/disabled cabins and what the layout differences would be. I think alot of us don't realize how much we're blessed if we don't need these accommodation.

You forgot shop for! There are so many choices there is always at least one good choice at any meal:)I sail on the Jewel on 11/12 and can't wait and I know i won't come home hungry

lol...true...but most times I don't mind shopping for it!! ;) Enjoy your cruise!

Archived