Delayed Departure - Star, 10-23-11?

Stickman81

I noticed through a cruise ship tracker website that the Star is still fairly close to Tampa at 2000 hrs.

I figured in three hours the ship would be a lot further along.

Does it take a couple of hours to get out of port?

Just curious as to how long it takes to get out of port.

Something I never really thought about until now.

It would make for a nice sail-away evening watching the lights of Tampa go by.

http://www.livecruiseshiptracker.com/

We have never cruised before and recently made reservations for the Star in December.

We are getting excited about the cruise and really looking forward to the experience.

I have been reading lots of information here on CC about general tips as well as reviews.

This cruise ship tracker was something I recently found a link to from CC.

NCL_STAR_2000_10.23.11.JPG

7otOKCl2GMdYOXgSvZqKAw?feat=directlink

There can be various reasons that a ship could be late leaving a port.

Also once they are at sea they do not travel at top speed. OK unless there is a medical emergency and they have to take someone to land as we had on our last cruise. Otherwise they only travel at partial speed for example 9 or 10 knots depending on how long it is until their next port.

Since the sun sets in Dec about 5:30 in Florida you probably will be leaving when it is still light out.

I note they are sailing into tropical storm Rina; wonder if they will go elsewhere other than the planned itinerary?

It really shouldn't affect them, they are sailing just ahead of the prediction. It is suppose to reach east of Roatan on Wednesday and they are scheduled for Tues.

Capture.jpg.45fe1f44d25f50730085c5620b9c6bc3.jpg

What difference does it make? You are at sea. enjoy!

No difference really - like I said I was curious and had never really thought about the departure process. When other forms of mass transportation depart late, consumers complain. I was wondering in this case if there was a problem with the departure, or, if leaving the port area of Tampa normally takes a couple of hours.

I fully intend to go into my vacation mode and enjoy.

:cool:

When we sailed out of Tampa, it was around 6:15-6:30 when we sailed under the bridge (can't remember the name), so we were still REALLY close to Tampa after 2 hours of sailing. That should give you some point of reference.

Great info - Thank you. :cool:

There can be various reasons that a ship could be late leaving a port.

Also once they are at sea they do not travel at top speed. OK unless there is a medical emergency and they have to take someone to land as we had on our last cruise. Otherwise they only travel at partial speed for example 9 or 10 knots depending on how long it is until their next port.

Since the sun sets in Dec about 5:30 in Florida you probably will be leaving when it is still light out.

Thanks for the information.

We are looking forward to watching the sights go by as we cruise out of port. :cool:

No difference really - like I said I was curious and had never really thought about the departure process. When other forms of mass transportation depart late, consumers complain. I was wondering in this case if there was a problem with the departure, or, if leaving the port area of Tampa normally takes a couple of hours.

I fully intend to go into my vacation mode and enjoy.

:cool:

When other forms of mass transportation is delayed or depart late, yes the consumers complain. I would assume the reason that the passengers are on a plane or train is to get to a certain destination, not just to ride in a plane. When you book a cruise you are booking to be on a ship. So if you depart later, you are still on the ship. Also unlike a plane or train, if you depart later, you will still get ot your destination at the scheduled time. That being said of course is assuming you can get to a destination and aren't stopped by things like weather or storms.

It did take about 2 hours to reach the bridge and then sail out of Tampa Bay.

I wish I could say there was a nice view on the way but it is mostly an industrial area and nothing nice to look at.

But, as a previous poster said, you are on the ship and so even a bad view is still not too bad!

I tried looking for the Star using the link provided and I could not find her. Where is she?

While I have not used the cruise tracker program much, it does say the ship is "Out of Range". This could mean that there are no reporting facilities in the area of the ship. I would guess once it comes in range with a reporting station it will show up on the map. I am thinking Cozumel will be the next area that the ship will be in range. :confused:

It did take about 2 hours to reach the bridge and then sail out of Tampa Bay.

I wish I could say there was a nice view on the way but it is mostly an industrial area and nothing nice to look at.

But, as a previous poster said, you are on the ship and so even a bad view is still not too bad!

Thanks for the information.

I was not complaining about the amount of time from port to bridge through Tampa Bay, just curious about the process. :cool:

When other forms of mass transportation is delayed or depart late, yes the consumers complain. I would assume the reason that the passengers are on a plane or train is to get to a certain destination, not just to ride in a plane. When you book a cruise you are booking to be on a ship. So if you depart later, you are still on the ship. Also unlike a plane or train, if you depart later, you will still get ot your destination at the scheduled time. That being said of course is assuming you can get to a destination and aren't stopped by things like weather or storms.

Thanks.

It seems that it does take about two hours from port to the bridge through Tampa Bay. This was information I was not aware of and appreciate everyone's input.

I have family members on the Star. They called as they were leaving port and the check in process took forever due to computer problems. They arrived at the Port to check in, and due to the computer problems they waited almost 4 HOURS to board!!! They had just got into their cabin as the ship pulled out! Nightmare! I don't think this affected sail time, as according to them they pulled out of port at 5:00 p.m.

I have family members on the Star. They called as they were leaving port and the check in process took forever due to computer problems. They arrived at the Port to check in, and due to the computer problems they waited almost 4 HOURS to board!!! They had just got into their cabin as the ship pulled out! Nightmare! I don't think this affected sail time, as according to them they pulled out of port at 5:00 p.m.

Sorry your family's vacation started on such a downer. But, I think "nightmare" is slightly dramatic.

Glad to hear their ship sailed out approximately when it should have, hopefully that is the only glitch they will have and will thoroughly enjoy the rest of their vacation.

I am sorry to hear they are off to a rough start.

I hope they have a great time.

Thanks for posting the information. It is always interesting to get first-hand reports. :cool:

Archived