Spirit to Mexico(10/7/11)-Review with pics :)

shonandsuzie

I cant remember.:o I wanna say Rene? Shon knew it right away.

You should have been there. BTW, I kept saying that you would have loved the asst waiter Oleg that I was talking about;) This year.... fo sho!

Awe snap! May have been a 2010 repeat perhaps. Lol lol! Num Yummy!

I will be sailing on the Spirit next week. How was the cruise director and who was it?

Alrighty. I purposely left this out of my review but we had decided that if anyone asked that question I was going to be honest. :o

The cruise director was Sparkles. We thought she was the worse cruise director we've ever experienced. The assistant was so-so. But in general, the whole activities team was terrible, we thought. The energy was super low and they seemed clinically depressed. It was like some tragedy happened before the sailing and they couldn't bounce back from it. I am not exaggerating either. I really expected to get back here, read the CC boards and hear about something that may have been brewing behind the scenes which effected the staff negatively. So far I haven't heard anything.

We dont usually even notice the cruise directors much (except for a few that we thought were superstars) and always wondered why so many people brought them up on this board but after "Sparkles", I get it. A cruise director can really dampen the general mood of a cruise. In the past, we always found the cruise directors a little funny and really personable. We thought they all were like that. Now we know they aren't all like that.

These, of course, are our views (and a few others that we spoke to onboard) but I am sure others may have found her okay. I just hope everyone is cheery by your sailing. If not, just have fun on your own like we did. :)

Suzy and Shon:

Thanks so much for the fantastic review and photos...(Again) I will be on the Spirit 11/4 for a nine day'er also...Hopefully with no port changes or deletions...

I am going to be on my first Carnival balcony this time. Well its an obstructed view balcony but the balcony is huge. Being a SOLO cruiser they were always too expensive for me but this cruise is not entirely for my pleasure so it had to be a balcony.

If this adds intrigue to the post, it was supposed to. LOL... Feel free to ask me any questions and be sure to read my post after I return.

On the CD for what its worth, I think that was a substitute. According to the CD list on JH blog stuart Dunn is the normal CD and he is off for the oct into november sailings. Lesley gray was listed as the replacement.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=CIXBmrMO&key=0Ap2nJKwTAA9sdGg2TVlTbVc1TVQxMVpqODNTeG5MZEE&hl=en&authkey=CIXBmrMO#gid=0

Hey Ray, solo cruiser here too, same sailing like you... You got me beat by several cruises on your list, lol

Suzy and Shon:

Thanks so much for the fantastic review and photos...(Again) I will be on the Spirit 11/4 for a nine day'er also...Hopefully with no port changes or deletions...

I am going to be on my first Carnival balcony this time. Well its an obstructed view balcony but the balcony is huge. Being a SOLO cruiser they were always too expensive for me but this cruise is not entirely for my pleasure so it had to be a balcony.

If this adds intrigue to the post, it was supposed to. LOL... Feel free to ask me any questions and be sure to read my post after I return.

I wonder if he/she Lesley Gray is any good ?

On the CD for what its worth, I think that was a substitute. According to the CD list on JH blog stuart Dunn is the normal CD and he is off for the oct into november sailings. Lesley gray was listed as the replacement.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=CIXBmrMO&key=0Ap2nJKwTAA9sdGg2TVlTbVc1TVQxMVpqODNTeG5MZEE&hl=en&authkey=CIXBmrMO#gid=0

Good choice for lunch at Solomon's Landing. The owner, Brian Solomon is a Cordon Bleu trained chef and everything at that restaurant is delicious.

There was a bar called the Corner Bar that served the Mamarita. The bar wass sold and is now a sports bar, by the same name, but that margarita you are drinking looks like the same size as the Corner Bar used to serve. Do you remember what it was called and how much it was?

The one's at the Corner Bar were the equal to 25 regular margaritas, so if this is the same size, it's no wonder you couldn't finish it.:p

Enjoyed your review and your pictures.

Good choice for lunch at Solomon's Landing. The owner, Brian Solomon is a Cordon Bleu trained chef and everything at that restaurant is delicious.

There was a bar called the Corner Bar that served the Mamarita. The bar wass sold and is now a sports bar, by the same name, but that margarita you are drinking looks like the same size as the Corner Bar used to serve. Do you remember what it was called and how much it was?

The one's at the Corner Bar were the equal to 25 regular margaritas, so if this is the same size, it's no wonder you couldn't finish it.:p

Enjoyed your review and your pictures.

Wow. It was $35. I know the bartender put 1+ 1/2 bottles of tequila in it. I dont know what it was called b/c we didnt see it on the menu but Mamarita would sure be a fitting name! We actually saw someone drinking it when we walked by a couple days before.When we were realizing we couldn't finish, we had a little less than 1/2 gone so they brought us some 16 ounce "to go" cups. We filled up 3 and had a bunch of margarita still in the glass. Judging (with a drunk mind :rolleyes::D) we figured we still had about 3 more of those cups worth in the glass after that. So maybe half of that big glass was about six 16 ounce cups of margarita. Which would make the whole thing about ten 16 ounce cups.160 ounces. That cant be possible can it? That seems like a lot....

We were on the same cruise and agree that "Sparkles" was a little dry. We didn't really see much of the activities staff around doing many activities either, except for bingo and the big shows. The mood was more relaxed and not as upbeat as we have experienced in the past, we chalked it up to the smaller ship and the changes in the itinerary. I do have to say that the Captain was awesome, sailing around those storms and not one rainy day!

Hey Suzie - great review! We really enjoyed meeting you and Shon. IMHO I agree with you about Lesley aka 'Sparkles' and her staff. We went to various events and games and the staff were pretty miserable. I think Sparkles was trying too hard to act like what she thought a CD should act like. Unfortunately, instead she came across as phoney, or at least unnatural. I also thought the assistant CD seemed pretty up-tight - a very strange pair....:rolleyes: But we also don't pay much attention to the CD unless we have a really good one, which can make for great fun! :p

I also enjoyed reading about your after cruise hotel stay. We've always thought it was best to rush home and get it over with, but can now see that it would allow you to enjoy your final few ship hours more. Thank you for that insight! :)

Cheers,

Holly

Archived