Zaandam Oceanview Options

Houstonian66

glutenhab so sorry it took me so long to get back to you. We have not gotton motion sickness as of yet (after 4 crusies, and one was a transatlantic in rough seas). No noise for us from people (except the door banging once in a while to the outside). You are a bit of a hike to the laundry, not too bad, really. We went out to the deck and used the stairs to the above deck and walked it alot and used it to get to the elevators easier than the halls inside. That deck is a good place to watch the waves in the back without a lot of wind. Hope this helps.

Good to hear, thanks.

We just returned from the cruise on the St. Lawrence from Montreal to FLL on the Maasdam. This time, we were in a cabin close to the forward elevators on Main Deck. We sailed on the Zaandam in 2010 on the LPromenade and have been on that deck on other cruises. The LP deck OV cabins are smaller in depth--small sofa v/s typical size; shorter v/s longer "dresser"; some noise if the gangway is on the Main Deck, but not bothersome. Sometimes,:) we heard the deck chairs on LP being pulled out while crew hosed that deck down in the AM. This was our 8th HAL cruise and we have been in various areas of the Main and LP on them. We loved the Maasdam and also the Zaandam. (PS: My husband used to think that the LP and Main Deck OV were the same size--he decided that I was correct about the smaller LP size. Plenty of room in either to enjoy being at sea.) Ciao. hmh

Our first HAL cruise was on the Volendam on the lower Promenade deck. We really liked the cabin and we were only about 30 ft from our cabin door to the door to the Promenade deck. It was like having one huge balcony. We took a bottle of wine in the afternoons and a tray of appetisers to the deck and it was great. My only complaint was on the Volendam's OV cabins the queen bed configuration bed is located right under the window and makes it really hard to look out without standing on the bed. During the day there is no way to look into the cabin through the window. We never were bothered by people walking on the deck.

No I don't normally travel with a tape measure. The cabins were identical.

You are totally incorrect on this, and are being unfair to those who are trying to make an informed decision.

But feel free to have the last word.

Well I think that both of you should contact HAL to discover the actual dimensions of the staterooms (in dispute), then report back here to enlighten us all! ;)

In regard to the placement of the bed in cabins--I don't know about suites, or lainais--in order to see out the window. We always ask to have the beds configured as twins, which leaves a lot of space in the middle to walk around or to stand and look out the window. It seems to "increase" the space in the cabin, having this open area and we prefer it to having to "inch" along the edge of the queen-sized bed configueration. Just my opinion. Ciao. hmh:)

In regard to the placement of the bed in cabins--I don't know about suites, or lainais--in order to see out the window. We always ask to have the beds configured as twins, which leaves a lot of space in the middle to walk around or to stand and look out the window. It seems to "increase" the space in the cabin, having this open area and we prefer it to having to "inch" along the edge of the queen-sized bed configueration. Just my opinion. Ciao. hmh:)

You must be married!!!

Sure--55 yrs. but choose this configuration because it works best for us. I do not find it unusual, as it is a choice available on booking. Ciao. hmh:rolleyes:

Was just joking....am married also, 25 years, & doing a 58 day cruise on Nov 25/11 to CELEBRATE it.

In an oceanview but gonna stick with the bed-together option...just in case! (just kidding again)

Archived