Guarenteed room

cruisingready

Serene56 is correct. I have done four guarantees for my four last cruises. Sometimes you get a cabin assigned right away, and sometimes a few weeks before the cruise, or even right before the cruise start, i.e., at the pier.

I have always been pretty lucky on guarantees, and for this upcoming cruise, the upgrade was spectacular, but you cannot count on that.

You get at least the category you book and can get a better one. Upgrades are mot likeley to a better room in the general class, like booking an obstructed window and getting a regular window but sometimes the upgrade fairy strikes and you get a balcony. That said, while I have gotten some decent upgrades, for some reason I have never booked an obstructed view and gotten an upgrade. Just be sure you can live with the class you book.

You can also get an upgrade that may not be better technically. For instance, many people would not want to be upgraded from a Cat. AD on the Emerald Deck to a Cat. AC on the Dolphin Deck. Or to be upgraded from a Cat. BB overlooking the wake to a Cat. BA on the Lido Deck. In other words, what Princess considers a more desirable cabin isn't necessarily so. If it comes down to choosing one of these particular cabins or being left to the whims of chance in hopes for a fabulous upgrade, I'd go with booking a specific cabin.

But we like booking guarantees because of the money they have saved us. Generally we book one of the lowest categories in a type of cabin (for instance, ocean view).

We use to book guarantee in obstructive view. Twice we were given over theatre. Noisey. Not desireable. Now we pick out our own cabin, in Obstructive catagory. Like Paul929207 stated, when booking a guaranty cabin, sometimes you get just that; what's left over. True; there might be an upgrade. But NOT as well.

Archived