Oceania v Azamara

goody1

Hi,

To those of you, who have cruised both Lines, I'm looking for comparisons both good and bad between them. My wife and I were on the Azamara Quest in 2008 in the Black Sea, and now really fancy trying the Regatta on a similar itinerary next July.

I've noted on other threads that the entertainment sometimes comes in for criticism, however is it of a similar standard to Azamara?

Thanks very much.

Hi,

To those of you, who have cruised both Lines, I'm looking for comparisons both good and bad between them. My wife and I were on the Azamara Quest in 2008 in the Black Sea, and now really fancy trying the Regatta on a similar itinerary next July.

I've noted on other threads that the entertainment sometimes comes in for criticism, however is it of a similar standard to Azamara?

Thanks very much.

The short answer, IMO, is that the two lines are more alike than different.

Most people, myself included, feel that O food is better while A has some aspects that some people prefer (CC friendly, more involved officers and staff).

For a more comprehensive comparison you should do a search on Azamara vs Oceania (and v.v.) both here and on A site. There are multiple lengthy threads on this topic.

both lines...and like them both!! We do love the new Marina...as it is IMO, a very different experience...both from a size and venue standpoint....but if I was looking at the "R" ships...I would pick the cruise that offered your ports of call interests...as we found in the past...the food and ambience were similar..enjoy what ever you choose!! LuAnn

The short answer, IMO, is that the two lines are more alike than different.

Most people, myself included, feel that O food is better while A has some aspects that some people prefer (CC friendly, more involved officers and staff).

For a more comprehensive comparison you should do a search on Azamara vs Oceania (and v.v.) both here and on A site. There are multiple lengthy threads on this topic.

And hopefully that includes our report http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1482473

"At present, from what we can surmise based on information on the web (and this is necessarily based on “intuitive approximation” as it is far too complex to gather all the data and estimate the effects of the vast number of variables), Azamara is perhaps on the whole 15% cheaper than Oceania. Both cruise lines have their own pluses and minuses. Oceania calls itself “upper premium” and is in our opinion, a shade more refined in its food (regular restaurants) and bedding. Presumably, it has also introduced limited free drinks (soft drinks, bottled water) and included tips. Azamara has better orange juice, and provides free shuttles in many ports (presumably also a new development). Both cruise lines are casual (no formal nights), with Azamara passengers being even more so than Oceania; have restricted smoking, few children on board and emphasize the itinerary. They are still the closest competitors for the niche market for those who want a comparatively small ship atmosphere. Our feeling is that for those who are happy to pay the extra 15% and are used to Oceania, it is a worthwhile product, but for those who would like to save 15% for other things (such as land excursions, souvenirs, etc.), Azamara is plenty good enough and enjoyable. The deciding factor should be the itinerary you want and the time slot you want, between the two lines."

Thanks to all who replied. Meow, loved your review of the Azamara Journey. Although we loved our cruise on Azamara Quest on the Black Sea, they only have a 10 night itinerary next July ex. Istanbul, whereas the Regatta is doing a 12 nighter ex. Athens. I know that we would love either cruise, however I think the extra 2 nights is the clincher. We are looking forward to our 1st cruise with Oceania.

Oceania calls itself “upper premium” and is in our opinion, a shade more refined in its food (regular restaurants) and bedding. Presumably, it has also introduced limited free drinks (soft drinks, bottled water) and included tips.

Oceania does not include tips, unfortunately, unless you are referring to the small tip that would have been added to the purchase of a soft drink.

Oceania does not include tips, unfortunately, unless you are referring to the small tip that would have been added to the purchase of a soft drink.
Thank you for your correction. We thought they included tips on some special voyages last Summer??

Thank you for your correction. We thought they included tips on some special voyages last Summer??

Oceania included OBC (to be used for most purposes a passenger wanted, though not all) for some of the voyages, and passengers could use the OBC for tips if they chose.

Archived