Ambergris Caye & snorkel excursions

beatsflying

There are 6 of us on RC Mariner of The Seas, December 4th and we would like to go to Ambergris Caye and snorkel on the way there or back. Not seeing this being offered through the cruise line and I'm sure we've done it before...anybody know why it's not offered...too far? Any suggestions? Before, it included a stop to snorkel with sharks and stingrays which is fine but we're really looking for reef snorkeling.

There are 6 of us on RC Mariner of The Seas, December 4th and we would like to go to Ambergris Caye and snorkel on the way there or back. Not seeing this being offered through the cruise line and I'm sure we've done it before...anybody know why it's not offered...too far? Any suggestions? Before, it included a stop to snorkel with sharks and stingrays which is fine but we're really looking for reef snorkeling.

My first cruise (I believe) I did a CCL tour to Ambergris & Shark Ray Alley. Picked up from the ship at anchor, we sped directly to San Pedro, perhaps an hour's trip? Snorkeled with nurse sharks and stingrays, got me hooked on this itinerary. (I even returned to San Pedro a few years later for a week long land based vacation.) Docked at San Pedro afterwards, had lunch (included) at a seaside restaurant, then had some time to walk the dirt lanes of the town. So disappointed when it was dropped. My next cruise this December, I'll be going on Coral Breezes excursion to Caye Caulker and their "Shark Ray Alley". Not sure if this will be at the same location as tour #1, but I'm willing to give it a try.

The reef snorkel tour offered by CCL sometimes has over 250 snorkelers at once, gets a bit crowded.

I appreciate your advice, we've been to Caye Caulker a couple of years ago and I'd love to go back but some in our group are determined to get to Ambergris Caye because they've seen it on tv and want to check it out. So it sounds like I should try to get there through Coral Breezes I guess.

My first cruise (I believe) I did a CCL tour to Ambergris & Shark Ray Alley. Picked up from the ship at anchor, we sped directly to San Pedro, perhaps an hour's trip? Snorkeled with nurse sharks and stingrays, got me hooked on this itinerary. (I even returned to San Pedro a few years later for a week long land based vacation.) Docked at San Pedro afterwards, had lunch (included) at a seaside restaurant, then had some time to walk the dirt lanes of the town. So disappointed when it was dropped. My next cruise this December, I'll be going on Coral Breezes excursion to Caye Caulker and their "Shark Ray Alley". Not sure if this will be at the same location as tour #1, but I'm willing to give it a try.

The reef snorkel tour offered by CCL sometimes has over 250 snorkelers at once, gets a bit crowded.

Thanks evandbob! I agree that the tours offered through the cruise lines are very crowded so maybe it will be best to book through Coral Breezes. Caye Caulker is beautiful but we have to try to get to Ambergris Key :)

If you are into snorkeling, I'd suggest that you look up the Coral Breeze Tours site as they offer snorkeling with a local lunch on Caye Caulker. Their site has the info.

We go with this tour about twice each year & they do offer a super tour.

Enjoy Belixe.

Bill in FL

Do you snorkel with sharks and stingrays as well as a reef area? I will check out their site now. Thanks!

Thanks evandbob! I agree that the tours offered through the cruise lines are very crowded so maybe it will be best to book through Coral Breezes. Caye Caulker is beautiful but we have to try to get to Ambergris Key :)

I'm searching for something as well and arrive the same week on another ship. I picked up a guide today that refers to Hol Chan Marine Reserve & Shark Ray Alley. Suggests pricing around $100 for 7 1/2 hr. trip. Sounds great and may opt for this other than cave tubing.. Forgot Belize has the 2nd largest reef in the world.

Our travel agent has recommended 'Shore Trips' for excursions and they have a trip to Hol Chan Marine, Shark Ray Alley and Ambergis Key. I think it is $122.00.

My upcoming cruise is my first, so I don't have any first hand knowledge of the company, but the TA says they have been using them for years and no problems.

Evandbob, we used http://www.ecotoursbelize.com/snorkeling.html

and did the

Shark Ray Alley Snorkeling by Air

Eco tours met us at the dock in Belize City and walked us thru the whole day. Easily made it back for the last tender.

Search the Belize forum for my full review. Posts should be under mdrobtx around Jan or Feb 2010.

Also I did a full all day video review on Youtube. Also search mdrobtx on youtube for those videos.

Archived