COZ gona get hit

MikeM

Yeah, our local met just mentioned a direct hit on Cozumel. However, some of the other weather-people have said differently. They are comparing the track to Wilma, however Wilma sat almost stationary for an entire day on top of the island, and it was a strong cat. 4; they're saying this one will move across more quickly as a cat. 3. Here's wishing Cozumel and it's residents the best!

Totally different. Wilma sat there for an eternity and scoured the island. And this storm has a very small core. If it misses, even by just a little, it'll have a totally different effect. I was in not too long after they reopened and the damage was just amazing, pretty much every tree on the island was sawed off.

We were just there last month and a couple of weeks ago and they just got the new (hey walk through our mall thingy ) building open.

Just in time for this.... :eek:

Yeah it was open in October when we were there, that's the one thing Wilma took that I didn't miss.

I hope it moves quickly, straight over the Yucatan, into the Gulf, and into Texas. We so desperately need the rain I think most of us would gladly take a hurricaine at this point. At least those of us with livestock. :(

Sorry to say it but I double Rina will head to Texas and I know how much ya'll need rain.

The storm is projected to hook sharply to the right and head towards Cuba and Florida.

Uggh! We were there in July 2005 just 2 or 3 days after it had been hit by a cat-4 hurricane. It looked like the dead of winter as we pulled up to the pier---no green left on any of the trees. Within 30 minutes of docking, the bees discovered the ship and began to swarm. They had to close all outside bars and food service. There was no power on the island, but we still had to walk through the duty free shops on the pier--it was hot! Basically all excursions were canceled, and the only open beach was Mr. Sanchos. Apparently, the storm had disrupted all the bees nests. They were everywhere! People were getting stung while sitting on the beach, so we bought two Dos Equis and stayed in the ocean up to our necks for the afternoon to escape the bees!

Wilma was much stronger than Rina. Wilma stayed and dumped close to sixty or more inches of rain and then it came to Naples. It was the strongest hurricane recorded in the Atlantic basin We were on a cruise at the time, thankfully in the southern Caribbean. It made for some very tense days. Thankfully it wasn't too bad here, but poor Cozumel. I couldn't believe the pictures of the island. Just keep them in your prayers, and hope this one isn't too bad.

It's my fault... I'm supposed to be arriving there at the end of November, and this will be my 3rd attempt at getting to Cozumel. First time piers were not rebuilt in enough time after that large storm that followed Katrina, so we were diverted to Jamaica and last october - storm was heading there, so we were diverted to Bahamas. It's becoming a running joke with my friends - especially now that we see this new storm heading there. Hopefully Cozumel makes out OK.:(

It's my fault... I'm supposed to be arriving there at the end of November, and this will be my 3rd attempt at getting to Cozumel. First time piers were not rebuilt in enough time after that large storm that followed Katrina, so we were diverted to Jamaica and last october - storm was heading there, so we were diverted to Bahamas. It's becoming a running joke with my friends - especially now that we see this new storm heading there. Hopefully Cozumel makes out OK.:(

glad to see a fellow Ontarioan going on the Inspiration on the 28th! Where you flying out of, etc?

Praying Rina doesn't do much harm to Cozumel as those people really depend on the cruises. Our second visit was the 2nd RCCL cruise that went there after Wilma. It was devestating. I couldn't believe the damage.

We are suppose to be there again a week from today. It will be DS and DIL first cruise. Hoping that we get to spend lots of bucks there.

I'm supposed to be there on Monday, not sure if it's going to happen. We leave on Saturday on the Dream. So far we haven't been told of an itinerary change but I don't see how we can stick to the original one. I bet we go East instead. Oh well, we have a nice covered balcony and we'll make the best of wherever we are. I just wanna GO!!:D

I hope it moves quickly, straight over the Yucatan, into the Gulf, and into Texas. We so desperately need the rain I think most of us would gladly take a hurricaine at this point. At least those of us with livestock. :(

*LIKE* And those of us in Oklahoma, especially those of us with livestock and trying to grow winter wheat, would love any leftover rain that ya'll don't squeeze out of the clouds. :(

I know it's not going to happen, but it sure is cruel to finally have a hurricane in sight and have it veer off to the east. *sigh*

I sincerely hope Coz fares well through this. It's my favorite port in the Western and I would hate to see it and it's people suffer any significant damage. Fingers crossed hoping for the best! :)

My exact feelings!

*LIKE* And those of us in Oklahoma, especially those of us with livestock and trying to grow winter wheat, would love any leftover rain that ya'll don't squeeze out of the clouds. :(

I know it's not going to happen, but it sure is cruel to finally have a hurricane in sight and have it veer off to the east. *sigh*

Agreed! It is cruel. I wouldn't wish the damage from a hurricaine on anyone, but I sure do want that rain! We've been in drought conditions since 2008...long before the rest of the state caught up. Since our August cruise, the only time it has rained at our house has been when I have physically left the state. It rained during the last 2 days of our cruise, when I went to Nashville, and recently when I was in Denver. I keep telling people its me and they need to send me some where but no one will buy the plane ticket!

The weekly trip to the feed store has me in tears.

Archived