Naughty Room

wezie

I am just returning to NCL after many, many years on Princess, Celebrity, and RCI. I know things are changing in the industry but come on. I have read through these posts and am not looking forward to boarding. Do I really have to be worried about packing mouthwash, or larger than travel size shampoo or perfume, or anything because NCL is worried that I am sneaking liquor on? This isn't they way I want to start my vacation. If I am called to the naughty room for an empty thermos or travel mug or innocent non alcoholic liquid, etc, I am going to be mightily angry. I suppose now I must change my packing methods and while I usually walk on the ship without carrying anything, except jewelry, I now must lug any suspect item with me. If the motive is to catch small amounts of alcohol, NCL lighten up!!!!!! These tactics are making me question my return.

On the other hand, if the motives stem from airline rules and regulations about volatile, explosive liquids, etc. then I understand. But they need to notify passengers in a similar way that the airlines do. I suspect that since they haven't done this, it is all about the alcohol.

It was my understanding that all of the lines checked the luggage for alcohol except for those those lines that allow passengers to bring liquor onboard. I love how people violate the rules and the cruise line gets blamed for enforcing the rules.

Yep - all lines are becoming stricter. Every sailing there absolutely ARE several "innocent" people caught in their dragnet - inconvenienced and made to feel like smugglers. I've been there myself and it's NOT the way to start a vacation. Apparently now though it's a risk we all take... :(

Tom

Yep - all lines are becoming stricter. Every sailing there absolutely ARE several "innocent" people caught in their dragnet - inconvenienced and made to feel like smugglers. I've been there myself and it's NOT the way to start a vacation. Apparently now though it's a risk we all take... :(

Tom

And yet someone smuggling booze doesn't affect the rest of us;).

It was my understanding that all of the lines checked the luggage for alcohol except for those those lines that allow passengers to bring liquor onboard. I love how people violate the rules and the cruise line gets blamed for enforcing the rules.

Sparks, I am not blaming the cruise line for enforcing the rules. I am blaming them for pulling people over for larger than travel size shampoo bottles and similar items. It's one thing to enforce the rules and it's another to take it to a degree that seems to be overkill. So, if a person really puts vodka in ONE 8 oz or even one 16 oz shampoo bottle, is it reasonable to search and seize ALL luggage that contain these sized bottles of shampoo? Are they really losing that much money by one small bottle of liquid packed in a suitcase? Don't you think reasonable bottle size is in order? Personally, I want this information before I board. Inform me that if I pack liquids in my luggage, I will be subject to the inconvenience of being sent to the naughty room and the inconvenience of having to bring my luggage back to my room. Inform me that there is a somewhat military screening process for all liquids packed in a suitcase.

And frankly, a person who would put alcohol in a shampoo bottle has bigger problems than just trying to sneak alcohol on board.

Sparks, I am not blaming the cruise line for enforcing the rules. I am blaming them for pulling people over for larger than travel size shampoo bottles and similar items. It's one thing to enforce the rules and it's another to take it to a degree that seems to be overkill. So, if a person really puts vodka in ONE 8 oz or even one 16 oz shampoo bottle, is it reasonable to search and seize ALL luggage that contain these sized bottles of shampoo? Are they really losing that much money by one small bottle of liquid packed in a suitcase? Don't you think reasonable bottle size is in order? Personally, I want this information before I board. Inform me that if I pack liquids in my luggage, I will be subject to the inconvenience of being sent to the naughty room and the inconvenience of having to bring my luggage back to my room. Inform me that there is a somewhat military screening process for all liquids packed in a suitcase.

And frankly, a person who would put alcohol in a shampoo bottle has bigger problems than just trying to sneak alcohol on board.

Overzealous screeners is one of the reasons that I have many more Carnival cruises in my past than I will in my future. The frustration I've been subjected to on multiple occasions has left a bad taste in my mouth. In 10 Celebrity sailings we've never had our luggage singled out. In 5 NCL sailings, it has occurred once.

Tom

Google "Shampbooze" and you might get an idea of the problem, which is obviously more than just one person putting booze into a bottle. I am not privvy to how NCL screens their luggage but from what I've been able to ascertain from reading many posts on here it's not one or two regular sized bottles that will trigger a search, but several oversized ones. I would guess that the security folks know what to look for and what patterns of behavior to look for. Security is not known for forewarning people about what they are looking for though. They tell you in the terms and conditions of the ticket contract that luggage is subject to search and won't get any more specific than that.

Google "Shampbooze" and you might get an idea of the problem, which is obviously more than just one person putting booze into a bottle. I am not privvy to how NCL screens their luggage but from what I've been able to ascertain from reading many posts on here it's not one or two regular sized bottles that will trigger a search, but several oversized ones. I would guess that the security folks know what to look for and what patterns of behavior to look for. Security is not known for forewarning people about what they are looking for though. They tell you in the terms and conditions of the ticket contract that luggage is subject to search and won't get any more specific than that.

Wow, there is a lot of good info on this last page. I've never sailed with NCL before so, I had no idea they were this strict. I've always packed several full size bottles of shampoo, conditioner, body lotion and such because me and mine will use it daily. I guess, I'll have to pack it all in a carry-on rollaway just to make sure my clothes luggage doesn't get sent to the naughty room. I rather deal with the inconvenience of carrying it on by hand rather than having to collect our luggage later.

Thanks for the info guys...

Gee, I read through all the posts and I think at least one person got caught with a bottle of shampoo and another with a bottle of water. Honey, that's me. I spend too much money on coloring my hair not to use a shampoo to protect it from color change. That isn't supplied on the ship. And I bring a bottle of water to refill for around the ship and ports. A thermos is great for bringing coffee back to my room.

On airlines, I know exactly what to do with these items. We are informed. I don't want to go to the naughty room because I threw that bottle of water in my suitcase. So, that's where cruise critic excels. Lots of good information. But had I not read it here, I would be in the naughty room lugging my suitcases around. So, thanks cruise critic for forewarning me. I am grateful because I don't want to be standing on line when I want to have a beautiful meal in the dining room. I want a happy start to my vacation.

And I would SUGGEST that NCL forwarn their pasengers to avoid those of us who would be caught offguard and truly annoyed at the inconvenience of it all. You are absolutley right. NCL doesn't have to let anyone know. But it would be nice to prepare for it. I like the post by the man who complained about a wrongful tag at guest services and they gave him free dinner(s) at a speciality restaurant. Nice. At least there was some compensation.

Gee, I read through all the posts and I think at least one person got caught with a bottle of shampoo and another with a bottle of water. Honey, that's me. I spend too much money on coloring my hair not to use a shampoo to protect it from color change. That isn't supplied on the ship. And I bring a bottle of water to refill for around the ship and ports. A thermos is great for bringing coffee back to my room.

On airlines, I know exactly what to do with these items. We are informed. I don't want to go to the naughty room because I threw that bottle of water in my suitcase. So, that's where cruise critic excels. Lots of good information. But had I not read it here, I would be in the naughty room lugging my suitcases around. So, thanks cruise critic for forewarning me. I am grateful because I don't want to be standing on line when I want to have a beautiful meal in the dining room. I want a happy start to my vacation.

And I would SUGGEST that NCL forwarn their pasengers to avoid those of us who would be caught offguard and truly annoyed at the inconvenience of it all. You are absolutley right. NCL doesn't have to let anyone know. But it would be nice to prepare for it. I like the post by the man who complained about a wrongful tag at guest services and they gave him free dinner(s) at a speciality restaurant. Nice. At least there was some compensation.

NCL's FAQ has changed but they used to specify that potables had to be brought on in your carryon (or maybe I am thinking of a different line) but that is where I would put them (too many people replace soda or water with booze so it very well may be a red flag and I do know they check seals if they are in your carryon). I do understand your concern, I don't want to take a chance of wasting vacation time in the naughty room. Here's hoping they don't wrongly flag your luggage!

NCL's FAQ has changed but they used to specify that potables had to be brought on in your carryon (or maybe I am thinking of a different line) but that is where I would put them (too many people replace soda or water with booze so it very well may be a red flag and I do know they check seals if they are in your carryon). I do understand your concern, I don't want to take a chance of wasting vacation time in the naughty room. Here's hoping they don't wrongly flag your luggage!

Thanks! If they do, I might have to buy one of those tee shirts :"I survived the naughty room, but not without having a drink or two"

I have been on NCL twice (third later this month)...both times we had two 8 packs of soda bottles and all of our cosmetics including large bottles of hairspray, shampoo, and lotion in our checked luggage and never been asked to the naughty room and our luggage was delivered before leaving port. Hopefully these posts don't freak people out that are not smuggling liquor into thinking they have to carry on all their liquids. Last thing I want to do on my first day of vacation is lug around a bunch of stuff.

Happy Sailing!!!

Maybe if the cruise lines would charge reasonable prices for drinks people wouldn't have to think about bringing booze on board. Just my opinion. I am not much of a drinker but do like one cocktail a night and would probably drink a few more if the prices weren't so high.

NCL charges extortion prices. This is why people smuggle. People say the prices are no worse than fancy cocktail lounges on shore, but I don't go to those places. I go where they have $1 beers and 2.50 wine and $2.00 cocktails. Boo to NCL.

I have been on NCL twice (third later this month)...both times we had two 8 packs of soda bottles and all of our cosmetics including large bottles of hairspray, shampoo, and lotion in our checked luggage and never been asked to the naughty room and our luggage was delivered before leaving port. Hopefully these posts don't freak people out that are not smuggling liquor into thinking they have to carry on all their liquids. Last thing I want to do on my first day of vacation is lug around a bunch of stuff.

Happy Sailing!!!

Thank you for this post. It represents the other side of the coin, so to speak. Now I wonder how many people have NO problems at all and whether the issue is not as big as suggested. It might be interesting to know if only particular ports have over zealous screeners, NOT that I am suggesting a thread on that topic. I think I have had enough input on the naughty room.

Out of 23 cruises, I have been to the Naughty Room 2x...once for a bottle of rum (OK, so I'm a bad person).

And the second time, for the travel iron my sister-in-law asked us to bring. So it's not just all alcohol, apparantly.

NCL charges extortion prices. This is why people smuggle. People say the prices are no worse than fancy cocktail lounges on shore, but I don't go to those places. I go where they have $1 beers and 2.50 wine and $2.00 cocktails. Boo to NCL.

All of the cruise lines charge roughly the same for their drinks, don't just blame NCL.

Out of 23 cruises, I have been to the Naughty Room 2x...once for a bottle of rum (OK, so I'm a bad person).

And the second time, for the travel iron my sister-in-law asked us to bring. So it's not just all alcohol, apparantly.

Yes, they are looking for all items on the prohibited item list, not just booze.

Archived