Rina is speeding up and getting weaker!! Cat 1 now!

Rina is speeding up a little and was just down graded dramastically from 110 mph winds to 85! Little Cat 1 is running out of warm water.

Everyone keep crossing yall fingers and pray shes doesnt give Cozumel much trouble. Sooo many people are planning to be there Monday and Tuesday including myself!

Hurray for wind shear!:D:D

http://www.weather.com/weather/hurricanecentral/tracker

So Cozumel doesn't get hammered and so it doesn't decide to turn east and head back toward Key West! (that was one of the models yesterday on the hurricane tracking/NOAA website)

We leave Ft Lauderdale Sunday on the Key West, Cayman, Ocho Rios itinerary. I know Carnival would reroute, if necessary, and that's ok, but I sure don't want to be chased by a hurricane!

and has the weather everywhere been extremely weird this year or WHAT? HOT HOT HOT and DRY DRY DRY here all year long.

Now we have early heavy snow in Colorado and a late hurricane in the Caribbean... enough with the crazy weather.

So Cozumel doesn't get hammered and so it doesn't decide to turn east and head back toward Key West! (that was one of the models yesterday on the hurricane tracking/NOAA website)

We leave Ft Lauderdale Sunday on the Key West, Cayman, Ocho Rios itinerary. I know Carnival would reroute, if necessary, and that's ok, but I sure don't want to be chased by a hurricane!

Shes only moving at 6 mph... Yall can out run it. Good luck!

and has the weather everywhere been extremely weird this year or WHAT?

HOT HOT HOT and DRY DRY DRY here all year long.

Now we have early heavy snow in Colorado

and a late hurricane in the Caribbean... enough with the crazy weather.

Do ya think maybe we've changed the weather???

Naaaaah, couldn't be that.. :cool:

I will be watching you depart from Allure of the Seas.:)

Well, this AM winds are down to 75mph, but the eye track is still pointing up the channel between Coz and the mainland, which means that Coz's Western beaches and probably entire island are within the NE side of 25 mile high wind zone that Rina has. Coz is getting 40-50 mph winds and rain now. But storm surge is predicted to only be 2-3 feet so not much erosion on the east side. Western beaches will probably be murky next week.

The prevalent forecast models has Rina getting chewed up by the jet stream as it moves south. But lingering between Mexico and Cuba until the middle of next week then being pushed out. There is still a possibility of Rina skirting the jet stream, because the storm is moving too slow and heading toward Ft Meyers/Tampa as a TS.

Watch for what happens this evening as Rina gets closer.

Hopefully it'll be ok on SATURDAY. We leave tomorrow out of New Orleans. We're keeping our fingers and toes crossed.

John Heald posted this yesterday on his FB page -

"I know some of you have also been asking about tomorrow's sailing on the Carnival Ecstasy and the impact hurricane bastardirina will have. The following was just decided and I wanted those die to sail to know.

Please be advised, due to the forecasted path of Hurricane Rina. For the safety of our guest and team members onboard Carnival Ecstasy, we will be forced to cancel Saturday’s call into Cozu...mel, MX, and substitute with Progreso, Yucatan, Mexico.

Date Day Ship Port - City(Port), Nation Arrive Depart

10/27/11 Thu ECSTASY NEW ORLEANS, LA 8:00 AM 4:00 PM

10/28/11 Fri ECSTASY "FUN DAY" AT SEA At Sea At Sea

10/29/11 Sat ECSTASY PROGRESO, YUCATAN, MEXICO 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

10/30/11 Sun ECSTASY "FUN DAY" AT SEA At Sea At Sea

10/31/11 Mon ECSTASY NEW ORLEANS, LA 8:00 AM 4:00 PM

So have a wonderful time, relax and enjoy the fun and hopefully loads of sun . Cheers"

As always, things can change, but this was the report from John yesterday.

Kathy

Well, this AM winds are down to 75mph, but the eye track is still pointing up the channel between Coz and the mainland, which means that Coz's Western beaches and probably entire island are within the NE side of 25 mile high wind zone that Rina has. Coz is getting 40-50 mph winds and rain now. But storm surge is predicted to only be 2-3 feet so not much erosion on the east side. Western beaches will probably be murky next week.

The prevalent forecast models has Rina getting chewed up by the jet stream as it moves south. But lingering between Mexico and Cuba until the middle of next week then being pushed out. There is still a possibility of Rina skirting the jet stream, because the storm is moving too slow and heading toward Ft Meyers/Tampa as a TS.

Watch for what happens this evening as Rina gets closer.

I saw that. They won't know until Sunday AM which way it wants to go.I guess many will be doing alternate itineraries now.It appears Cozumel and Grand cayman will be out for the next week unless the storm makes up its mind.

At least the storm left Progreso unharmed.

The Triumph is stopping there first and then to Cozumel Monday. Since Cozumel looks like she will be closed for cleanup business, we will probably have an extra sea day. Sure wish they would just let us stay in Progreso's port an extra day... Dern taxes.

Well, I think the good news for Coz is that they were receiving relatively little rain and surface wind gusts were less than 25mph, yesterday. Even lighter in Cancun. Waves weren't high at all. so all our fears of hurricanes past aren't to be fulfilled. However, as Rina slowly breaks down into a tropical depression, cruisers leaving this weekend might find a bit of rough weather at sea, but ports with docking should be okay. I would suspect that G.C. could not allow tendering if winds and waves are still around.

Archived