Atlantis sub

2wheelin

Would like to hear from anyone who has taken this excursion. Traveling with BIL with mobility issues. Can walk but will rent a scooter for the cruise. He can do a few steps but cannot do a ladder. Does anyone know how these subs are boarded--whether steps at a slant or perpendicular ladder?

I'm able-bodied and have done the Atlantis sub in Barbados & St. Thomas. Both times we had to climb down a ladder with a slight slant to it. The confines are very tight. Also, we first boarded a "shuttle boat" that took us to where the sub was waiting. The sub isn't docked at a pier. We had to walk across a gangway between the two bobbing boats.

I hate to disappoint you, but I would not recommend the sub to someone with mobility problems.

Thanks for quick responses. This is what I was expecting but didn't wish to deny him something he could enjoy. Lots of the excursions have these hidden obstacles we sometimes overlook. He can snorkel too but it depends on the particular boat and how it is boarded.

2Wheelin,

What ports are you going to? I did a boat tour a few years ago in St. Martin called Seaworld Explorer. It was a boat with an underwater compartment that you climbed into and looked out the windows. The compartment was only about 5 feet under the water so not like a submarine ride, but it could give your BIL an underwater viewing experience. They took us over a coral reef and also had a diver come by and feed the fish so they gathered by the windows.

I cannot remember whether we had to climb down a ladder or steps to get to the viewing compartment. If it is steps, this tour or a similar one might work for your BIL. The boat says that it isn't wheelchair accessible, but if your BIL can walk a few steps he may be able to get onboard.

Archived