Best Place to Snorkel in Grand Cayman / Ocho Rios

Casper2422

I am planning my honeymoon in feb and will be cruising to Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios. What is the best place to snorkel? I am leaning towards going snorkeling in Grand Cayman but should I book an excursion? Any recommendations would be great!

Grand Cayman has the "famous" stingray city which is a shallow sand bar, maybe 3-4 feet deep, where the stingrays come right up to you. There are no other fish to be seen there and it is as much a snorkeling opportunity as it is a stand in the shallow water and see the rays. It is really a great experience.

We did this and it was coupled with a stop at a reef for some additional snorkeling opportunities amidst a decent number of fish. I don't remember the company that we used but many offer stingray city coupled with one other snorkel destination.

I've been to both places many times and would never recommend Ocho as a snorkel or dive destination.....

You can easily DIY snorkel in Cayman from Eden Rock or Sunset House - search either here and you'll find many discussions about them. Eden is a stones throw from the tender landings, Sunset a mile down the road. Snorkeling at both is similar, with both having their special attractions. 10 people will stop at Eden for 1 heading down the road ... compute the number of others snorkeling with you accordingly. Sunset House also has "My Bar" very very popular with the local crowd and hard core divers that know Sunset House.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd echo Capt. BJ.

Ocho Rios, it's warm water and there are some fish, but it is not very good snorkeling or diving. Spend your time at Dunn Rivers Falls instead. Also buy some Blue Mountain coffee while you're there.

G Cayman, Eden Rock is a few hundred yards south of the cruise terminal. Free and good snorkeling. We took an excursion with Soto to the Stingray Sandbar where you stand to play with stingrays and then they take you to Coral Garden for some snorkeling. Eden Rock is better.

• 4 weeks later...

There are serveral places Mona Island (Off of Puerto Rico) Mona's snorkeling is spectacular because of the amazing visibility, which can be up to 150 feet, there are over 270 species of fish there, More great places are Antigua, Buck Island Reef National Monument (St. Croix), St. John - (Virgin Islands),

Ocho Rios is a great place to snorkel the water is warm and beautiful turquoise blue where you can see everything. Plenty of cruise ships stop there.:)

To be fair, we only went once--as part of a combo with Dunn's River Falls. The falls were great, snorkeling is better most everywhere--including the quarry I used to dive in Ohio!

Spent a week in Grand Cayman earlier this year .. two snorkel spots stood out: The reef on the way to Stingray City (we went with Capt Dexter's FantaSea Tours, we spent about 45 minutes at the reef), this was excellent! Much preferred this to the actual Stingray City part of the tour.

Another good spot was Smith Barcardere, which is just a little south of the Sunset House (probably 10-15 minutes by taxi from the cruise prt). We snorkeled their three of four times, if the water is calm the vis is outstanding. Very easy entry into the water.

There are serveral places Mona Island (Off of Puerto Rico) Mona's snorkeling is spectacular because of the amazing visibility, which can be up to 150 feet, there are over 270 species of fish there, More great places are Antigua, Buck Island Reef National Monument (St. Croix), St. John - (Virgin Islands),

Buck Island and Great St. James are maybe my favorite snorkel spots in the world:D

Archived