Nick being added to the GEM Feb 2012...

Got Tequila?

Looks like it will start 2/19/12...

Cruise with Nickelodeon aboard even more Norwegian ships

When you're looking for a family vacation, you want to have the option to participate in activities and events that everyone can enjoy together. With Nickelodeon, exclusively on Norwegian Cruise Line, there are activities for the whole family to enjoy together. And now, we're thrilled to announce that beginning February 2012 we are expanding Nickelodeon's presence to Norwegian Gem. So whether it's the Caribbean during Spring Break or the Holidays, or Alaska or Europe in the summer, your family will be able to enjoy Nickelodeon aboard Norwegian. It's the ideal vacation where parents relax, kids play and families connect.

Year-round, Norwegian ships that feature Nickelodeon events and activities will offer families the opportunity to:

• Compete in Nickelodeon's signature messy game show - Slime Time LIVE!
  • Play interactive games by the pool during Nick Live Poolside!
  • Dance and sing during Dora's Music Party.
  • Hang out and eat with SpongeBob SquarePants, Dora the Explorer and more during the Breakfast with Nickelodeon*.
  • Or choose from the additional activities specifically designed to encourage your family to explore, play and imagine together.

* Breakfast with Nickelodeon available for a nominal fee.

for those that sail on these NICK ships, does this mean that the ships will generally have more kids onboard and does it mean less regular cruise activity during the day?

I haven't noticed any less regular cruise activities, but there seemed to be more younger children on the JEWEL than the GEM when they were sailing the same itinerary a day apart out of NY.

I also seemed to notice more family's who kept the younger kids out of the kids club afternoons when the NICK activities typically take place.

The kids and the NICK activities never affected my cruise at all, so it wouldn't stop me from booking a cruise with NICK on board.

I don't mind the Nickelodeon presence on the NORWEGIAN EPIC because the ship is so big that the activities are not as intrusive - especially since the EPIC has SPICE H2O, a complex designed to get away from children.

However, when Nickelodeon came onboard the Norwegian Jewel - a ship I once regarded as the best in the NCL fleet overall - my opinion of that ship changed. I sailed on the Jewel in January and the changes were aplenty on the 10 day voyage. First and foremost, in favor of a Nickelodeon's SLIME TIME LIVE a production show was eliminated (Country Gold). Now granted Country Gold was the least liked of the three productions on the NCL Jewel, it was still a production show for the adults to enjoy. They needed the space for the Nick stuff in the theater storage area.

During the sea days in what is already a single pool area each afternoon there would be a Nickelodeon presentation of some sort at the pool. Now the pool games are fine in general but to have kids running around everywhere during the Nick stuff is just not my cup of tea. :cool:

I hope NCL contains this Nickelodeon crap to the Jewel, Gem and Epic and keeps it FAR away from the remainder of their fleet. I've never sailed the Gem and I guess I will be much less likely to now.

The thought that came to my mind was that the pool is going to be crowded as is, but now with the Nick poolside show, that's going to make it even harder to enjoy the pool. If I haven't already booked my cruise and my plane tickets, I might consider changing it. Hoping that it won't be totally over run with young kids on the week that I go.

Archived