Ultimate Balcony Dinner ?s- Timing and Balcony Size

scottam

Hi Everyone,

DH and I will be on the CB this January and thinking of trying our first ever Ultimate Balcony Dining experience. I've read through many threads on the subject and haven't found answers to the things I'm wondering about, so I'm hoping someone out there can help! Thanks in advance!!!

Timing - I've read many recommendations to sched UBD for a late port departure to avoid wind. On our cruise the only late departure is on embarkation and it sounds like they don't do UBD on the first night. So, I need to figure out another "Best night" for our UBD. We depart St Marten and St Lucia at 6, Bonaire at 7 and Aruba at 5. Which would provide us with the most beautiful scenery during sailaway? I'm thinking St Lucia because of the Pitons and we'd schedule our UBD for 6pm. Any thoughts from those of you who have done this before? We're on the starboard side, if that makes a difference.

Balcony Size - We are booked in a BE categeory and I want to be sure there will be enough room for the dinner on the balcony.

Thanks for your help and insights!

Tammy

Wind is wind. We did ours on a sea day and had no issues until we approached a storm, which you will have no idea about... And we did this on one of the bump out corners that gets the most wind on the ship...

As far as space, we managed fine on said bump out corner for 2 people and the balconies don't get much smaller than that...

Here's a pic of the setup on the bumpout:

Panama2011Card1-3-299x450.jpg

Hi Everyone,

DH and I will be on the CB this January and thinking of trying our first ever Ultimate Balcony Dining experience. I've read through many threads on the subject and haven't found answers to the things I'm wondering about, so I'm hoping someone out there can help! Thanks in advance!!!

Timing - I've read many recommendations to sched UBD for a late port departure to avoid wind. On our cruise the only late departure is on embarkation and it sounds like they don't do UBD on the first night. So, I need to figure out another "Best night" for our UBD. We depart St Marten and St Lucia at 6, Bonaire at 7 and Aruba at 5. Which would provide us with the most beautiful scenery during sailaway? I'm thinking St Lucia because of the Pitons and we'd schedule our UBD for 6pm. Any thoughts from those of you who have done this before? We're on the starboard side, if that makes a difference.

Balcony Size - We are booked in a BE categeory and I want to be sure there will be enough room for the dinner on the balcony.

Thanks for your help and insights!

Tammy

You will thoroughly enjoy the UBD. At least we did!! We did it on the Crown Princess back in April 2010. It was $50/person and you could order just about anything you wanted. They give you a menu but you don't necessarily have to order off of it, at least back when we did it you didn't have to. We ordered Escargot, which was not on the the menu they gave us.

Check out this video I did of the whole thing, setup to breakdown, including the photographer. The whole thing lasts about 2 1/2 hours. I did my homework before the cruise and managed to schedule it around sunset, very romantic.

We were in Cabin E731, which is the extended balcony, so space was not an issue for use. Enjoy!!!! Well worth it!!

You will thoroughly enjoy the UBD. At least we did!! We did it on the Crown Princess back in April 2010. It was $50/person and you could order just about anything you wanted. They give you a menu but you don't necessarily have to order off of it, at least back when we did it you didn't have to. We ordered Escargot, which was not on the the menu they gave us.

Check out this video I did of the whole thing, setup to breakdown, including the photographer. The whole thing lasts about 2 1/2 hours. I did my homework before the cruise and managed to schedule it around sunset, very romantic.

We were in Cabin E731, which is the extended balcony, so space was not an issue for use. Enjoy!!!! Well worth it!!

What a great video. We are sailing on the Ruby in March and cannot wait for the UBD experience.

Geoburm, Thanks for the video! That convinced us to book an UBD!

I think we'll try for the night we sail out of St Lucia. It would be perfect if we're on the correct side of the ship to see the Pitons!

I've read that they do the UBD at 6 and 8pm. Was this your experience, or can you schedule it for a time of your liking?

Thanks again. Enjoy your cruises, everyone!

Tammy

That was a great video! But at first I thought you were trying to zoom into your DW's breasts. :p

After that I got the idea you were just trying to show what she was eating too. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Geoburm, Thanks for the video! That convinced us to book an UBD!

I think we'll try for the night we sail out of St Lucia. It would be perfect if we're on the correct side of the ship to see the Pitons!

I've read that they do the UBD at 6 and 8pm. Was this your experience, or can you schedule it for a time of your liking?

Thanks again. Enjoy your cruises, everyone!

Tammy

If I remember correctly we did ours around 7:00-7:30PM....I was trying to catch the sunset and did so quite well. Everything worked out well. So, not sure about the times they offer...sorry, can't help you there.

Archived