Tell Me About Your Tour With Lawrence of Antigua

Yvonne

We did book a tour with Lawrence, and I did go to Trip Advisor and read all the reviews there but if any of you would care to tell me about your experience I would love to hear more details.

Did he take you to all the points of interest (Shirley's Heights, Nelson's Dockyard, etc.).

If the tour starts at 8:45, where do you go for lunch?

Did you have Lawrence as your tour guide, or another employee of his?

Did you tip after the tour? We have always tipped the driver of any tour we have gone on, but if Lawrence himself is doing the driving and he sets the tour price, do you still tip him as well?

We used Lawrence last November and had a great day with him. I am pretty sure that if you book Lawrence you get Lawrence. We did go to all the typical sites. He also took us through the rain forest and stopped to get us some fresh pineapple. Finally he took us to a beach and those on the tour decide how long they want to stay. He waits there and then drives you back.

As to eating most of the beaches have places where you can buy food. We tend to eat a large breakfast and then have a south beach protein bar that we bring from home to tide us over until we get back on the ship. But that is our preference. You can ask him to take you to a beach with food available.

I am pretty sure we did tip him because we felt he went the extra mile. Nothing huge, probably another $5 per person.

Tipping can get to be a pretty hot topic on these boards so please no flames from other readers if you do not like my answer. Just answering the OP.

I highly recommend Lawrence.

We did book a tour with Lawrence, and I did go to Trip Advisor and read all the reviews there but if any of you would care to tell me about your experience I would love to hear more details.

Did he take you to all the points of interest (Shirley's Heights, Nelson's Dockyard, etc.).

Did you tip after the tour? We have always tipped the driver of any tour we have gone on, but if Lawrence himself is doing the driving and he sets the tour price, do you still tip him as well?

Hi,

I have done the island tour 3 times. Once with Lawrence,and twice by grabbing a driver at the pier.

Small island and not much to see IMHO,but when traveling with friends,they want to see the sites.

Yes he took us to all the main sites.

We were back to the ship intime to eat lunch.

Yes I tipped after the tour $10 for 4 of us.

Observations...

The grab a driver at the pier was $15 per person cheaper.

Everyone who offers a tour plays follow the leader to every site it seems.

Check out this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=448884&highlight=never+showed+up

I have not been on cruise critic site for awhile. Not sure what is legal and what is not, but I would be interested in learning more about an independent tour in Antigua.

of many people tend to recommend Gordon, but i see Luxury safari and Voyages Antigua also listed on trip advisor, they are actually more highly rated than both Gordon and Lawrence, not that i am saying that these guys are not good, but why not change the trend and try other highly recommended private tour operators on trip advisor? any of you have used another operator other than the two gods of Antiguan tours?

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, he is very good. He will attend to your every need including quick communication.

We just got back last week and here's our experience.

There was a group of 18 of us on Carnival Freedom to celebrate my DW 40th bday. I decided we wanted to do a private mini-bus excursion and to go to only the specific places we wanted to see.

I contacted several tour operators. Several were very enthusiastic but failed to answer questions and to communicate with me in a quick manner.

Lawrence was the exception. He answered my emails daily.

I wanted an A/C mini-bus that would hold between 16 and 24 persons. I also wanted that bus stocked with beer, rum punch, water and fruit drinks. Lawrence immediately replied, NO PROBLEM!

Next I explained where I wanted to go, how long we wanted to go and what we wanted to see. Just to make sure we could accomplish everything Lawrence called me at home and we discussed the specifics.

Basically we did his island tour with emphasis on a couple of beaches and the beach bars.

On the day we were to cruise, TS Maria was in our way and Carnival changed our intinerary leaving Antigua out. I contacted Lawrence and he was very understanding and really there was nothing he or I could do about it. But......as we were getting underway the Capt announced that we would be doing our original intinerary after all. I sent a quick email to Lawrence as the ship was pulling out of FLL and hoped he got it.

He did. When we were in St Thomas we contacted him and he said everything was on.

When we arrived in Antigua we were met by Lawrence and his assistant, Melvin. Lawrence had to be in court so Melvin took us on the all day tour. Melvin was GREAT! Do not hesistate to take a tour with one of Lawrence's other tour guides. We met several at the port and they were all enthusiastic.

Our itinerary included Devils Bridge, view from the Blockhouse and Shirley Heights. Nelson's Dockyard and a drive thru the rainforest.

We also took in Turners beach but ended up at Valley Church beach for lunch and a fantastic place to relax, jet ski and enjoy the beach bar.

Our tour lasted about 7 hours and it was one of the best island tours I've done. Melvin provided a commentary over the sound system to include history, points of interest and many aspects of life on Anigua.

We even ran out of beer and he made an effort to stop and get us a few more for the final ride into St John.

Just a pleasant and easy going experience any cruiser wanting a great excursion could ask for.

THANKS LAWRENCE!!

Here are a couple of short videos of the excursion:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mdrobtx!

I see you had a specialized tour - it looks similar to the island tour with an after tour beach stop. Did you book online and does Lawrence require an advanced deposit? Some places that request copies and e-mails of credit cards make me nervous. I like the https. versions much better.

This looks like a really, really good day! Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Lawrence has employees but he will meet you personally if you request that. The vehicle depends on the number of people, we (2 couples) had a very modern and comfortable van. Excellent tour, we hit the best spots like Shirley Heights, Nelson's Dockyard, etc. don't miss those views!

We wanted time at a beach with lunch, he recommended Pigeon Beach and it was perfect, great jerk chicken at the little beach bar there and he waited for us there. He provided beer, soda and water, we always tip at the end when we pay.

The only tour on Antigua we liked better was the Excellence cat sail, absolutely amazing, you sail through English Harbor and see the beautiful coast and the gorgeous blue water.

of many people tend to recommend Gordon, but i see Luxury safari and Voyages Antigua also listed on trip advisor, they are actually more highly rated than both Gordon and Lawrence, not that i am saying that these guys are not good, but why not change the trend and try other highly recommended private tour operators on trip advisor? any of you have used another operator other than the two gods of Antiguan tours?[/

Some folks don't want to put in time to research based on their desires and simply go with the #1 rated operator, too bad...

Antigua is a beautiful island. If you have never been a tour is very worthwhile in my opinion.

I agree totally. I also recommend a sail like the Excellence. The best we've done - partly because of the crew and boat, partly because of the beauty called Antigua.

Our tour was about $50/couple or less, can't remember. There's a $5pp fee to go through the rain forest that is mandatory I believe. Very inexpensive for what you get.

Just e-mail Lawrence for a quote (and others if you're comparing by price!).

Lawrence of Antigua Tours

P.O Box 73,

St. Johns,

Antigua.

Telephone: 1 (268) 464-4428 (Antigua - International Number)

(717) 389-6181 (Number to call from the U.S. and Canada)

E-mail: LawrenceofAntigua@gmail.com

or lawrenceofantigua@yahoo.com

Hi mdrobtx!

I see you had a specialized tour - it looks similar to the island tour with an after tour beach stop. Did you book online and does Lawrence require an advanced deposit? Some places that request copies and e-mails of credit cards make me nervous. I like the https. versions much better.

This looks like a really, really good day! Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Yes, I booked online with no advance deposit.

I'd talked with Lawrence over the phone also just to make sure everything was the way we wanted it. It was my wife's 40th bday and everyone on the tour was there to celebrate and also receive a GREAT tour.

of many people tend to recommend Gordon, but i see Luxury safari and Voyages Antigua also listed on trip advisor, they are actually more highly rated than both Gordon and Lawrence, not that i am saying that these guys are not good, but why not change the trend and try other highly recommended private tour operators on trip advisor? any of you have used another operator other than the two gods of Antiguan tours?

We had an excursion with Georges of Voyages Antigua and had a wonderful time. Georges is very knowledgeable, fun and is a great person overall. My family was more than very pleased with him and his service. I would highly recommend him. You WILL NOT be disappointed. If I'm in Antigua again, I will definitely book with him. I actually did my very first contribution on trip advisor after touring with Georges.

• 2 months later...

We were in Antigua in January and spent the day with Georges of Voyages Antigua. We had a fabulous time. He took us to the highlights of the island and then we spent some time at the beach with him. He was delightful- and very knowledgeable- and tailored the day to meet our interests. I would definitely recommend him.

We chose to just drive through because we were interested in other areas, but you can spend as much time as you want there and you can stop anyplace you want - it's your own private tour and Lawrence willl help you plan the itinerary.

He is very flexible and easy to work with, and he was extremely nice and provides excellent commentary during the tour.

We were in Antigua in January and spent the day with Georges of Voyages Antigua. We had a fabulous time. He took us to the highlights of the island and then we spent some time at the beach with him. He was delightful- and very knowledgeable- and tailored the day to meet our interests. I would definitely recommend him.

Were you on a private tour or a bus tour?

Thanks!

Do they stop at Fig Tree Art Studio? I don't want to see just a bunch of trees. What else is there to see/ do? You can't tell him what you want if you don't know what's there.

? It sounded like you were interested in the rainforest?

You will find a wealth of information on Antigua on the various Antigua sites and the Antigua forum on TA.

As I said, Lawrence will give you ideas and recommendations and you can then choose what interests you and develop the perfect itinerary for your personalized tour. But YOU need to do some "legwork" and reseatch the island so you know what you want and you get the tour that you will always remember. Otherwise you will get a "standard" tour.

Do include a beach as they are gorgeous, Lawrence will park nearby while you relax. We enjoyed a great jerk chicken lunch on Pigeon Beach I think.

I would also highly recommend Shirley Heights, Falmouth & English Harbors and Nelson's Dockyard and the Admiral's Inn.

Blue Water, I have been googling for more rainforest info, and don't see any details. That's why I'm asking on this forum. I've looked at many tour operator sites, and they don't give info, either. Maybe you can suggest a direct link?

Ms, I haven't done any research on the rainforest of Antigua so I don't have any links to share with you. I did Google the subject ("Antigua rainforest tours") and found several tour companies and the different services they provide (canopy tours, zip lines, hiking, etc). As I said we were more interested in other areas so I am not knowledgable on the subject.

We also enjoyed touring the island from boat on the Excellence, that was one of our favorite excursions ever.

Archived