Anyone ever been on a "Holiday" cruise?

MGood

Anyone ever been on a Holiday cruise, and do they do anything "special"? We are going for New Years, and wondered what to expect... Don't get me wrong though, just a normal 7-day caribbean vacation is just terrific for me :-)

I have been on a few Thanksgiving cruises. Turkey was an option on the menu, but there was nothing else that was different from the ship itself. However, there were more families with children than on a typical Celebrity cruise and the ship was a little more crowded than usual because of them. I was also on a Holland America Thanksgiving cruise and to my surprise the demographics on the Holland America Thanksgiving cruise were younger than on our Celebrity Thanksgiving cruise.

At the time we took these cruises we thought it was nice to celebrate Thanksgiving without the work. However, we now prefer to celebrate Thanksgiving the old fashioned way in a home environment, in spite of the work, because of the holiday feeling that was missing at sea.

We did a Christmas cruise and we were not happy. It mostly had to do with anytime dining problems. Seems that for Xmas, large groups of family members have reunions and such. So you will get 12-20 people show up at once for dinner and demand to be seated together and near each other. This totally bogged down the whole anytime dinner seating. So after the first two nights, we just had to go eat at the earliest possible time to avoid this bottleneck. If we did it again, we would use Traditional Dining.

I've been on 3 HAL New Year's cruises and they had a multitude of parties, music options, dancing and great dinner menus plus free champagne after midnight. I've booked for the New Year's cruise on X this year and look forward to what they have to offer. Honestly, it's the best way to spend New Year's and is a great time to relax after the Christmas holiday!

I've been on 3 HAL New Year's cruises and they had a multitude of parties, music options, dancing and great dinner menus plus free champagne after midnight. I've booked for the New Year's cruise on X this year and look forward to what they have to offer. Honestly, it's the best way to spend New Year's and is a great time to relax after the Christmas holiday!

Good to know about the Champagne and parties for New Years eve... we are very excited to celebrate 2012 on board the gorgeous Celebrity Eclipse...

Based on our great experience last Christmas aboard the Equinox, I would bet New Years Eve will be excellent aboard the Eclipse. We were AQ so dinner in Blu was exceptional and then the caroling along with excellent Christmassy pastries/cookies in the main area of the ship could not have been better ...of course I'm talking about Christmas Eve festivities. Decorations were tasteful and the festivities were enjoyed by all including MANY non-Christians.

We are doing the Solstice this Christmas based on the wonderful job Celebrity did with the holiday

Hi Jackdiamond!

We've taken 2 New Years cruises on RCL....they were a blast. Bands in all the ballrooms and atrium. Champagne started flowing about 11:30. Streamers and hats were at your dinner table. All the crew was out and about, celebrating with the pax. Some our best New Years celebrations.

Wow, this makes me want to do it again!

Whether it's Christmas, New Years, 4th of July or Thanksgiving, the cruise will celebrate with a festive event. I've even sailed on Passover. The passover seder was fabulous. If you are celebrating a event, let the cruise know and they will help you obtain the appropriate foods to celebrate your event. Enjoy!!

I have been on a few Thanksgiving cruises. Turkey was an option on the menu, but there was nothing else that was different from the ship itself. However, there were more families with children than on a typical Celebrity cruise and the ship was a little more crowded than usual because of them. I was also on a Holland America Thanksgiving cruise and to my surprise the demographics on the Holland America Thanksgiving cruise were younger than on our Celebrity Thanksgiving cruise.

At the time we took these cruises we thought it was nice to celebrate Thanksgiving without the work. However, we now prefer to celebrate Thanksgiving the old fashioned way in a home environment, in spite of the work, because of the holiday feeling that was missing at sea.

In addition to the Thanksgiving cruises mentioned in my previous post quoted above, we once took a cruise on the NCL Gem during Hanukkah from NYC to the Caribbean. On that cruise we had a service led by a Rabbi with a menorah lighting every night during the holiday with latkes served right after the service. It was very nicely done!

The last time we spent Xmas/New Years at home, was back in 2000. This will be year 11 that we will spend the holidays at sea! Nothing like it.:D

When we dream of a white Xmas, it includes soft white sand on a Caribbean Beach. This year we will be at Half Moon Cay.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Archived