Need help for family trip

Big Bob

We are planning a family cruise this summer. One of our choices is Norwegian Sea. The children are 2 to 14 years old. I have never been on a NCL ship. I have a few questions. The cruise would be out of Galveston.

1. Does the ship offer a good children's program?

2. Can they handle the young (2 yrs)?

3. One child (14) is handicapped, are there cabins available?

4. Do they offer connecting rooms?

5. Can some cabins take 3 or 4?

This board has been helful and any additional comments would be appreciated. I am also posting this on another board.

Big Bob

Most ships have a limited number of handicap accessible cabins. I believe they will take children 2 years and up. Many cabins will sleep three, and I think there are inside cabins that will sleep 4. I am not sure about the connecting rooms.

Till we sail on the Norwegian Spirit \Leo

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;5;15;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Hello

Most ships...especially the newer NCL ships do indeed have handicapped rooms and rooms that have other accomodations depending on the need (hearing impared for example). You would have to book early to get one though I am afraid.

The childrens program was wonderful on the STAR for my 3 and 5 year old...they do take children as young as 2. They do not have to be potty trained but then the parents would be on a beeper to come change them. As for the SEA, I cannot answer about the children's program hours. But we had a great adventure with the kids club on our cruise.

We fit all 4 of us in one inside cabin so yes to your question on 3 or 4 persons in a room. Since we had small children, it made it easier to fit the 4 of us. 4 adults would be very tough. We had collapsable luggage which worked great because we could store them.

That should answer most of your questions. The only negative I have heard about the kids club is about the hours. We had 40 available hours through the week on our cruise which was more than enough. Some cruises offer less. The idea is that when the ship in docked, the club is closed. So if your ship sails at night and spends the days in port, the hours for the club might be more limited to the evening only. But that is all itinerary dependent....and if you want to leave your children on ship while you are off. That option we decided not to use and our kids didnt even use the club all of the hours it was open.

NCL Star 1/04

What's Next? Alaska 2005 - Ask me about an official CC group!

The Sea does have handicap accessible cabins. The bathroom was huge. The shower has a small lip about 1 inch on the diagonal, it was plenty large with grab bars. The cabin itself is larger than a standard by about 50%. We stayed in an inside accessible cabin on the Sea Sept 03. Although, now that I think of it, the cabin only accomodated 2 people. 2 lower twin beds, no upper bunks. I'm not sure if the room would accomodate a cot.

Happy cruising, Kathy

Big Bob,

My daughter, who was 6 at the time, really enjoyed the Kid's Crew program on the Sea. The counsellors were fun and engaging, the activities and crafts were entertaining, and my daughter was always excited to go!

Since the Sea is older, the facilities are a far cry from the amazing Kid's Crew areas on the newer ships. The room is fairly small and uninspiring (inside, no windows), but there is a lot of fun to be had there. Also, a lot of the bigger games are conducted in another area, to give the kids more room to express that energy!

We were on a shorter cruise (3 night Bahamas), so the time flew by, but I just wanted to comment about all the fun my daughter had.

Have a great cruise,

Julie

ninafromct: The Star does have hours during port days! We were just there and experienced it, so you are almost correct on their hours.

Big Bob: We have sailed 4 times with NCL and our two kids (currently 6 and 11) LOVE the kids program. The only (and I stress, only) wish I had is that they would open in the evening at 6:30 rather than 7:00. This would allow some easier planning for dinner reservations and seeing a show. Other than that, we and the kids love Kids Crew. Did anybody mention that Kids Crew gives the kids "gifts" on the last night. Really nice stuff too and a T-Shirt as well!

Cruising,

You know I've heard that. For some reason the Star (and only the Star), has a few sessions of kids crew during port hours. I wonder why the other ships in the fleet don't follow suit?

I think all the lines give out gifts, I've got 2 awesome Celebrity backpacks, CD holders from RCCL, t shirts, hats and the most valuable trinket of all, those waterproof key/money necklaces that I wish I had more of. My sister and I still wear the ones our kids got with "Adventure Ocean" emblazoned on them. They're great for the beach/pool icon_wink.gif!

No tagline, on the grounds that it may incriminate me.

Big Bob, our grand daughter loved the kids crew on the Sea and most of the other kids we have talked with as well as their parents were quite happy with kids crew. One family we know said the kids enjoyed the activities or at least liked NCL better than Disney. These kids ranged in age from about 9 to 17. Yes, NCL does take 2 year olds and yes, they have assessable rooms as well as connecting rooms, but as has been mentioned above they are limited. The biggest problem with the Sea is the very small cabins: they may sleep 3 or 4 but will be crowded. Closet and storage space isn't a problem, move around space could be. If you want to have a relaxed cruise, out of a very assessable port and the price is right "GO FOR IT". The ship is small, not glitzy at all, but one or our favorites. NMNita

Commodore 1984, Costa 1985, RCL 1987, Chandris 1989, NCL 1989, Commodore, 1991, NCL 1997, Carnival 1997, Carnival 1998,NCL 1998, NCL 1999, RCL 2000, RCL 2000, NCL 2002,NCL 2003, Celebrity 2003, NCL 2004

Archived